It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Strange object found on Mars"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
There's five photos total, the site I got this from seems to think there's a 'door' within, which sort of seems like the case, but I pass the torch on to the experts here at ATS.... I don't know why the article is dated in the future, I imagine it's a typo...

"Strange object found on Mars"

On the images taken from the orbit an unusual mountain formation is depicted, which seems to have resulted from weathering (erosion) and is located amid the frozen ocean. The given formation drop-like shape (in section), its evidently erosion origin and the unusual structure at the base, which might be conventionally called a 'door' for its physical resemblance, are of interest.

The other images sent by our reader depict another formation of unusual shape resembling a pyramid with a regular polygon at the base.

[edit on 13-12-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Nice pic.
I'm not a ATS expert but when you enlarge it there's weird stuff south and west of the door, does anybody see pipeline structures or is it my imagination? Could be like a giant hollow camouflaged area or just all natural formation.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Does look like a door, or a carved out opening, the pyramid looks like a dirt mound, but all and all pretty interesting stuff there.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Mars ain't red and dead. It's blue and habitable. Check out NASA Dark mission book.
Indeniable stuff

2 radio interviews to check out:

www.youtube.com... ( Fixing NASA)

www.youtube.com... ( Need to know)

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by abovetech

...thank you for the links, I'll check 'em out... and thanks to others for replying; should anybody have Photoshop (I don't) & want to post some enlargements -- go for it! Seems like we got something here...

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Nice pic!

You know what would make it better? A link back to the original image source from NASA. Does anyone have that?

Thanks
Stari

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Stari

The area is Arabia Terra
Here are the links to the source image:

In order to see it in a better resolution, you should open it in IAS Viewer 3.1:

Try clicking here

Hope this helps

reply to post by anhinga

anhinga, thank you for sharing this find:

this formation is very interesting, imho:
star and flag for you!

[edit on 14/12/2007 by internos]

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Its a shadow, look at the shadows all around the map. You will then see that this is a pillar tha makes a shadow that looks like a square.

added curves to the image and enhanced the darken area, you will there see the structure in the shadow.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by abovetech

I beg to differ. Go to a telescope and see the red colouring for yourself!!! Remember, NASA uses a lot of false colour to bring out certain geological features and so on. Astronomers do the same at the telescope, for example I use a blue filter to really bring out the red Martian deserts or the Great Red spot on Jupiter.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

...thank you for the links, absolutely helps to see the original images.

The formation itself seems amazing, like a plateau of some sort -- and unlike here on Earth, the first place that comes to mind is Utah, where plateaus are surrounded by one another.

Here's a 'utopia' request to NASA: give the taxpayers Google Earth-like imaging techniques for Mars w/ the satellites there.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   
If the mountain is "evidently erosion in origin", then it stands to reason that there may well be cave formations as well. Where you get water erosion on rocks, you get caves.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 08:06 AM
link   
There are reptiles in that cavern!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Interesting what that much wind will do to ice. As to the door, ever seen Arches in Utah? Wind erosion does odd things to things. Pyramid is such a stretch its not really worth commenting on. Since this is not Lears Forum I'm not sure if the OP meant this to be about Mars being habitable. 300 mile an hour winds, have to lay on your face at a low elevation to get even a speck of O2 and temperatures so low you would freeze solid in seconds. Brrrrr! No place for this guy.

[edit on 12/14/2007 by Blaine91555]

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Bellow, for those who do not want to use IAS Viewer or download the 1.03GB JPEG2000 file, you can see the "mountain" in the biggest resolution available, 25cm per pixel.

According to that resolution, the "mountain" has a length of around 160 metres, not quite a mountain, and a width of around 50 metres.

The false RGB images are great, but they have a lower resolution and have a higher contrast because of the way they are created from the infrared, the red and the green+blue channels.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
...been looking at these photos more, my intuition is telling me the mount itself was artificially created. Check the perimeter, it almost seems like the 'erosion' might be foundation to this housing-like structure.

Yeah, I'm going out on a limb here, but maybe. Similar to Earth's pueblos, but w/ one door to withstand the climate? This is a blueprint of a pueblo structure:

Mod Edit: New Forum Image Linking Policy – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6-1-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by tep200377

Well that settles it for me. The shadow of a pillar actually makes sense. I think you figured this one out. good job!

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I'm not so sure that's a shadow. Look at the angle of the "shadow" above the structure and compare it to the angle of the shadow to the west of the structure. Different angle. The upper edge of the door-like structure is more in line with an opening into the face of the mountain than it is a shadow.

Just my .02

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by anhinga

IMO

this looks like erostion...

where the hole is there appears to be erotion/colapsed material the same colour as the hill top spread out just infront of it, just seems like a structural fault from wind erostion. its clearly a windy place as you can see the effects on the sand surrounding the hill and the slope of the hill itself,

it also looks like water could of burst out of that hole to the left of the image snaking away theres classic signs of water erosion,

[edit on 3-1-2008 by BRITWARRIOR]

Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

[edit on 6-1-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
If you look at the original photos (earlier in this thread), and not the false color, you will see there are all sorts of amazing erosion patterns that are really outstanding. This is just one of many, and it sure does not artificial to me. Heck, other bumps in these photos look more artificial than this mound.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Changed my mind on this... still a cool picture.

[edit on 5-1-2008 by II HAL II]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join