It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do I feel like ATS wants us to be sheeple now?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hikix

Fascist might be to strong a term, but there is defiantly somekind of funky
arrogant aura with threats and snotty comments from some of the people that seem to have let a little power go to their heads.

Perhaps I'm just old fashioned but I think the the people that have started some threads, though they be "pointless" might have been given a little slack or at least a reason and shown a little dignity for their efforts.

[edit on 12-12-2007 by whaaa]

[edit on 12-12-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Everything you say is true MM, with the exception of "the rules are in place to protect everyone equally" (or something similar haha)

While that's the way they SHOULD be, it doesn't really seem to be that way.

There was a thread awhile back in regards to black people being from Mars.

The poster did NOT criticize black people, nor was he rude to anyone in his OP. However, he was personally attacked by MANY members in a VERY VERY short period of time. A couple of people asked why the attacks were being allowed (seeing as how a mod had also replied) and TWO mods jumped in saying something along the lines of "perhaps the attacks have something to do with the OPs subject matter".

Is that equal protection?

Sure, it was a silly theory, BUT, I'm sure there is a thread around here somewhere titled "Courtesy is MANDATORY" that states that courtesy is to be extended no matter how stupid one finds a particular post/thread.

99 times out of 100, the mods are spot on. Unfortunately, it's that 1 time that will be remembered by most.

Jasn

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by hikix

hahah

The "Rant" forum isn't really open to "free for all" threads either.

Posting a TRUE rant there will likely just get us all warned or banned.

Jasn

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Seeing as how this particular forum is titled "General Chit Chat" and seeing as how most general chit chat is mindless rambling just to pass the time, I feel the lockings were a bit over the top.

Personally, i couldn't care less as I don't really care for BTS very much. However, I'm showing my support for those that disagree because I personally feel that they are right.

I stayed at ATS for the members and friends that I have made here.

I couldn't POSSIBLY care less about the mods, the owners or their rules.

I only abide by them because I must in order to maintain my online friendships with the GREAT people here.

Jasn

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SimiusDei

we cant really do anything about it
the forum is maintained by the three amigos
and the mods are here on their accord,

we have to either live with it or leave
and leaving is kind of boring as there are some cool people here

lifes a bitch
and i dont think they like topics that are poping up every second about how bad job they are doing supprised they havent locked this and the other one.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

I have no intention of leaving.

I like my friends that I have made here and i plan on sticking around as long as they do or until I get banned.

I have my times when I do appreciate the mods and the job they do. I, like a lot of you, have had my stints as a moderator, a "super" mod and an owner of popular forums. However, having been a super moderator of a forum that is easily 20 times larger and 100 times busier than ATS, I have a hard time agreeing that a mod's job is "hard".

However, I'll say it again, IF they rules were more specific as opposed to "guidelines", the mod's jobs would be so much simpler.

When discussions have to take place "behind the scenes" in regards to IF and WHEN a rule is violated, then the rules are flawed.

Jasn

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I heard there was a thread going on where we are suppose to hail the one above you?

I would rather praise AD but here goes (gets down shakily on her cracklee knees)

All Hail HIKIX , ruler of the UNIVERSE!

antarbad

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
I heard there was a thread going on where we are suppose to hail the one above you?

I would rather praise AD but here goes (gets down shakily on her cracklee knees)

All Hail HIKIX , ruler of the UNIVERSE!

antarbad

Oh stop it, you flatter me.... I am but a mere man!

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
... I am but a mere man!

WHAT?

You mean to tell me that I have been paying those tributes and sacrificing the virgins for NOTHING?

(

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimiusDei
However, having been a super moderator of a forum that is easily 20 times larger and 100 times busier than ATS, I have a hard time agreeing that a mod's job is "hard".

I know what you're talking about here and the 'hard' part of the job is volunteering to be the bad guy so that others don't have to take the heat. If you think it's fun for me to come on here and read about how wrong I am, over the top I was, accustations that I'm drunk on power and deal with the upset members, you've got a much different idea of a good time than me.

If you're the kind of person that enjoys upsetting others, dealing with this might be easy. For me, it's like going to work all over again when I just got home.

I have two choices as a mod: enforce the rules as laid out by the owners of the site or step down.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey

I know what you're talking about here and the 'hard' part of the job is volunteering to be the bad guy so that others don't have to take the heat.

THAT, I very much agree with.

It sucked for me as well. I always hated having to drop the hammer on a good member because they pushed the boundaries a bit too far (though, it wasn't QUITE as hard there because the boundaries were much more well defined).

However, I must admit a certain sick pleasure from kickin some troll arse.

Trolls deserve no pity as they are members ONLY to cause problems.

You will get no criticism from me Duzey!

Jasn

[edit on 12-12-2007 by SimiusDei]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Gosh DL you really get around

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Now that's a phenomenal attitude. It's always good to have one's volunteer efforts appreciated and spoken highly of.

Tell me, what can I do to become more legendary. I've only been here as an upstanding member for 5 years and decided that I loved ATS enough to volunteer my time as a staff member to make it more enjoyable for everyone. Tell me, how can I get you to care?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SimiusDei

ATS has it's written rules and it's non written rules, most of which I'd read/seen I agree with.

I have had the wars and hard discussions with most in Management and felt it was dealt with -- mostly in fairness.

But I tried to keep the problem discussions behind the lines and to this point, have no reason to believe my arguments were taken and used against me anywhere on our Site.

Dallas

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Good to know. Thanks for clearing that up.

However, I'll say it again, IF they rules were more specific as opposed to "guidelines", the mod's jobs would be so much simpler.

The Terms & Conditions are very specific. It's interesting how those who seek to circumvent the rules are the ones who feel there is vagueness. Perhaps you're feeling that your pointless obscenity-laced podcast should not have been removed?

However, having been a super moderator of a forum that is easily 20 times larger and 100 times busier than ATS, I have a hard time agreeing that a mod's job is "hard".

There are no pure english language discussion boards I'm aware of with those stats other than Gaia Online... which is not much more than a "LOL" post free for all. Our job is hard because we seek to set standards whereby we're seen as the "thought leaders" of social content.

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   

99 times out of 100, the mods are spot on. Unfortunately, it's that 1 time that will be remembered by most.

Why? 55 staff members that are keeping the board clean for approx. 6000 active users per month, unpaid btw, isn't good enough for you? Let's look at the post count:

Post Rate
posts/24hr: 3017
posts/week: 21337
posts/month: 95566

You desire perfection on this? Are you Borg?

Well thank you for the support. Our unpaid, yes I'll pound this home, efforts to keep this board running AND still tolerate being bashed on a regular basis is noted. Try that on ANY other board and see how long you are a member.

I like my friends that I have made here and i plan on sticking around as long as they do or until I get banned.

You have a precognitive agenda to getting "banned"?

I have my times when I do appreciate the mods and the job they do. I, like a lot of you, have had my stints as a moderator, a "super" mod and an owner of popular forums. However, having been a super moderator of a forum that is easily 20 times larger and 100 times busier than ATS, I have a hard time agreeing that a mod's job is "hard".

Past tense, I wonder why you still aren't a SM on a forum that large.
Don't answer, that was rhetorical. I debate it anyways. I put in at least 6 unpaid hours per day FOR THE MEMBERS. And there are 54 others that do likewise. You poo-pooing what we do pisses me off, if you want to be honest.

It sucked for me as well. I always hated having to drop the hammer on a good member because they pushed the boundaries a bit too far (though, it wasn't QUITE as hard there because the boundaries were much more well defined).

However, I must admit a certain sick pleasure from kickin some troll arse.

I guess I just got my answer as to why you are no longer a mod there and you are still a member here. We are much more accepting of dissent. Maybe too much, MY opinion.

Sorry we can't be perfect, it's not happening until God, or ET, comes down and grants us amazing powers. Imo, you are being self serving here.

Yes, I'm pissed at this. We(staff) all do this because we LOVE ATS, why are YOU doing this? Another rhetorical question.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Gosh. U-two come around make absolutely indignant correctly written and addressed statements, get three-thousand stars and leave us all in Awe.

Just Great Super Management can do these sort of things at times like this

Dallas

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

No problem.
Though, you forgot to add the lines preceding that statement.

Apparently this is a matter of opinion. While you (and others) feel the rules are very specific. It seems that even the mods have a hard time figuring out just when the rules apply and when they do not. Of course, I'm basing this off of u2us that I have personally received from mods telling me as such as well as a great number of "What? How was I breaking the rules?" posts from members.
As far as that podcast goes, it's another matter of opinion. There were certainly other members who didn't feel it was pointless at all. However, this is partly YOUR site and you did what you felt you should do. Do I disagree? Sure I do, for my own reasons unrelated to rules. Am I upset that you removed it? Not at all. I do, however, appreciate the insinuation.

I'm not speaking purely of "registered" members. I'm speaking of the number of constantly active threads and members. A thread with less than 100 multi-line replies was a rarity. However, it IS a movie forum so, in all fairness, that does make a bit of a difference. In regards to public "stats", it is a multi-site forum that has constantly merged over the years and the stats are independent of one another.

Jasn

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I came down to BTS for some laughs. Needless to say thought -- S.O. would even be monitoring the area let alone make major statements concering another member's open-feelings expressed on our Site.

Dallas

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

You misunderstand. I did not say that the 1 out of 100 would be remembered by ME. I was stating the fact as generality. Think of it more as "they always remember the negative."

Good enough/bad enough for me is irrelevant. However, if I were to honestly attempt to answer this, I suppose that answer would be; Most mods do an EXCELLENT job, some do a GREAT job and some are just members with extra buttons and an attitude.

Do you NEED my support? Yea, it's rhetorical.

No, I don't have a precognitive agenda to getting banned. Do you make it a habit of interpreting things anyway you choose? I was making a factual statement. I honestly have no intention of leaving until my friends leave OR until I get banned. If neither happens, I do not leave. How hard is that to comprehend?

Another assumption on your part coupled with the cute little eye roll smiley. I am no longer a member of those boards period. Why? Because I was sans internet for close to a year and that made it quite difficult to stay active, not to mention being a moderator. In regard to the "trolls" comment, think Killtown on a MASSIVE level. Yes, I did enjoy booting them. Why? Because they enjoyed making forum life a living hell for the members and it made the members quite happy that they were gone. Thinking of the members is a great thing. And there were 29 of us. Looking at your "job" solely from the way you relate it, it seems to me like you find it quite aggravating. Perhaps you should step down if it's causing you so much stress. Meanings the unpaid, being criticized and pissed off.

Again, you like to make assumptions don't you? See my previous paragraph for a response to your "why you aren't a mod there and you are still a member here" comment.

Who asked for perfection? I see NO ONE even hinting at perfection being a requirement.

I do, however, see quite a few posts asking why one post gets the mod hit and another that is almost identical (in the same thread) does not. I do see a good number of members asking for clarification on the rules that are so clear that the mods must discuss when and if they are broken. I do see many many active members who LOVE ATS and would not DARE speak out for fear of raising the ire of the mods upset because a certain mod seems to go above and beyond when it comes to making their ATS life a living hell (and no, I'm not talking about me, my problems with that mod ceased a good while back). I do see a number of members wondering what is going on around ATS and BTS lately. I do see a number of members saying that ATS and BTS seem to be going downhill. I do see personal attacks on members that remain after members have long since alerted the mods to the attacks and I do see members questioning why those posts haven't been edited.

I see a lot of things that you may not. I'm sure that works both ways.

Is it not possible to love something for different reasons????

Where you might see "Deny Ignorance" as a creed, I see it as a catchy business slogan.

Where you see your own wit, I see someone making a baseless assumption in order to suit their own position.

Where you see yourself being an unpaid person doing a job for the sake of loving ATS, I see a regular member with some extra buttons and a bit of forum "power" who is doing exactly what they would be doing even if they weren't a mod. (Meaning sitting in front of a computer screen, typing and using your mouse while at www.abovetopsecret.com...)

Can we not simply agree to disagree?

I also put a great deal of time into the site. I also put a great deal of time into posts and threads. I also do not receive payment for doing so.

Does that mean I should be pissed off when what I do is spoken poorly of?

I don't think so.

Why are you pissed off?

Jasn

Edit to add: Questioning authority and the rules on a CONSPIRACY related website? Who'd a thunk it?

You would think that a site full of conspiracy "nuts" would have a few more dissidents no?

[edit on 12-12-2007 by SimiusDei]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join