It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do I feel like ATS wants us to be sheeple now?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Hello all. I used to come here because I wasn't one of the world's sheeple and knew I could find others like myself here. Now I feel like those in charge WANT us to be sheeple. This is bizarre and confusing to say the least.

Any thoughts?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Just curious as to what brought you to this conclusion..
what has changed here for you?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
"Sheeple"?
Could you elborate?
In which sense are we "sheeple"?
In reguards to what issue?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Crakeur demanded that I call him "der Fuhrer", but I must say, he was really nice about it.

Peace

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Must do as Crakeur says...

LOL

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Just curious as to what brought you to this conclusion..
what has changed here for you?

It's like when you're a little kid and you look at your father like he is this immortal god-like person. He's always there for you. He has more integrity and character than anyone you've ever met or will ever meet. Then one day, he has a massive heart attack and dies and your whole sense of reality goes out of whack!!

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

also remember he said you must refer me to as his royalness from now
on,

you will obey me

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Oh the mighty great Bodrul.
I beseech you oh great one.... ROFL!!!

Oh btw those big black round things don't work on me.

This is only a joke so don't get mad.

Sheep where? There's no sheep here.

[edit on 12/12/2007 by Leyla]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Excitable_Boy

OK so I understand your metaphor..but Specifically what are you speaking of?What changes has ATS made that prompted this?
Was it the revolution?
The closing of BTS threads?
The changes in the 911 forum?

Or a combination?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   

See previous u2us from your hero, the great and powerful SimiusDei!

hehehe, I love being silly.

I should be silly more often!

In response to EB's thread, see my sig.

Jasn

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
For people that have been here a long time, you have seen changes over the years, and it is snowballing, and more changes start happening faster.

ATS has always had rules about what you caould and couldnt talk about.

BUt reacently, more and more rules are being added. Im always getting more mass-spam u2u about the 9/11 fourms, and more and more topics become taboo.

I ee where you are coming from, even if i dont agree entirely.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Rules are good and fine. However, they shouldn't be so open to interpretation.

I agree with the new crackdown in the 9/11 forum and the thread started by SO in relation to these changes was VERY straight, specific and to the point.

However, most of the rules of ATS are very open ended and subject to varying interpretations.

I believe that is one of the main problems.

Though, this can't be used to explain the dedicated trolls.

A troll will be a troll no matter what.

Edit: 1 too many o's.

[edit on 12-12-2007 by SimiusDei]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
ATS has def changed since i became a member. I know its voluntary to be a member here but i can't keep myself from thinking this is some type of fascist website that has some crazy weird caste system.

I just started feeling this way recently. It's almost like we are immigrants who better stay in line or we are getting kicked out the country.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SimiusDei

Oh yes..I save and treasure every golden u2u from the Great Legend of ATS
SIMIUSDEI
kidding..
I get what you mean..but..I see the flip side of the coin as well.
CHANGE is the only constant..and ATS must move a. with it, or as a website, stagnate and die off.
Do all of us want that? NO!
No one likes things to change because we get comfortable, whether it makes sense to be or not.
ATS is the greatest website I have found.No matter what topic I google that could possibly be discussed on ATS...THERE it is..usually top of my search or very close.WE WANT TO STAY THERE!
Listen, we as members are the fuel for this engine..true enough.But you have to remember who created the site, and who keeps building it up, making it BETTER for us, in the long run.Even if you don't like the changes, you get used to them.We all hated the new buttons..but we got used to them.
Many did not like the changes to the 911 forum at first..then realized why it was better.It is unfortunate that the same forum needed more changes.It is unfortunate that some people cannot follow simple courtesy to other members,and follow a few rules to remain members.
I don't see how making changes to the site..makes us Sheeple.Look around you,at the topics we discuss here.I can't go anywhere else to discuss it...Iam surrounded by sheeple in real life.Not here.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by hikix

Spoken like a true dissident.

I applaud you amigo!

As a side note: Did mechanic do the present avatar? It is AWESOME!

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
actually aces in the hole did.. i forgot to give him props.. mechanic did my old avatar.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   

It's not just about changes chica.

It's about changes that seem to make no sense.

Some of the more prominent members (no, I'm not talking about myself. Strange, I know) are catching a mod beat down here lately for silly stuff while some of the trolls are in the same threads spewing attacks on other members with seemingly ZERO being done about it.

Speakeroftruth pointed out some good examples of this over in Bill's thread regarding the 9/11 forum.

Changes ARE a good thing. However, some things do not NEED to change.

It's some of these current things that some view as "problems" which will lead to the death of ATS.

It has happened in plenty of great forums in the past and WILL happen here in time.

A delicate balance must be maintained in order for a site to STAY great.

A lot of the current changes do nothing but cater to the trolls. Not because they make things easier on the trolls, but because they piss off a lot of the GOOD and FREQUENT posters and slowly drive them away.

There are also a couple of mods here who hurt the community through their rudeness and seemingly vengeful ways.

Jasn

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Do any of you who are upset with the rules here remember what it's like to be on an anything-goes site? Or have you even ever been on one?

I have. I've left a few forums because it was a free-for-all. Name-calling, insults, forum gangs, persecution, favoritism, I've seen them all and been the subject of some. Also, sad to say, I've participated in some because that was the energy on the forum -- I got caught up in a place's vibe and went along with the rest.

I was tense all the time, and miserable when I was online. That sort of defeats the point. I go online to relax, not to stress out, and so my down time was actually becoming counterproductive and opposite of what it was intended for.

Yeah, so ATS has rules. So what? All societies have to have rules or they don't work. The mean feed on the meek. A little blood gets in the water and there's a feeding frenzy. I shudder to think what a feeding frenzy on a site as big as this one would be like.

ATS is a society. It has to have rules of conduct. These rules protect everyone equally and are not randomly applied at the whims of the staff.

It is a relief. The rules aren't unreasonable. They make the place run fairly well. And there must be something right about this place or it wouldn't be as successful as it is.

I think a lot of these complaints that I've seen since I joined have more to do with people's level of comfort. Change is always a bit scary. People get used to things the way they were, and have trouble going along with things when they move on.

A static system is a stagnant system. ATS is a dynamic system, it has to change or become static. Anyway, if people would behave themselves and could be trusted to be civil on their own, the rules wouldn't be necessary. But then, if that were the case, human nature itself would have to have a paradigm shift.

Don't like the rules here? You're welcome to go to one of the places I left because there were no rules. U2U me and I'll point you in that direction. You might find, after a short time, that the rules aren't all that bad.

*bracing for barrage of butt-kisser comments*

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
actually aces in the hole did.. i forgot to give him props.. mechanic did my old avatar.

Be sure to give him "props" from me as well. It really is some NICE work.

Jasn

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
This should be moved to the Rant forum, so we can all start going crazy hahaha.
oh man, I'm getting banned
(but you'll never know why and never hear from me again for the rest of my life)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join