It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obese should buy two plane seats, says Australia survey

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by KelticKraute

Chin up girl sad to hear that sort of crap goes on day in day out... As i stated before it's all about the $$$$ for the airlines the more skinny people they can squeeze into their seats the better...thats why i ask to be seated next to a vacant seat get it for free, i suggest doing the same...
I mean if it ain't gonna be used on the flight why not use it we pay far to much airline tax anyway...If the airline crew treat you like that i suggest to treat them like the sheep they are to..

And don't say airlines can't afford it my national airline made a easy $109 million last year....

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
If you're fat, it's because you made a choice to be fat. If your body burns calories slower than normal, eat less or exercise more. I don't want your nasty flab sliming it's way into my seat, it's inconsiderate and disgusting. So yes, fatties should have to pay for two seats, but only so long as they actually get both seats.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by free_spirit_earth
As i stated before it's all about the $$$$ for the airlines the more skinny people they can squeeze into their seats the better

Of course it's all about the money, it's a business; flying isn't a right of the masses.

Personally, I don't see what all the objections are for...hell, aren't most shipping cost's based upon weight? Maybe the airlines should get a clue from UPS.

[edit on 13-12-2007 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by PeaceUk
maybe if the airline companys didn't treat us like cattle then this wouldn't happen

I did like this one.. actually made me smile!

I agree, perhaps we all need to go by ship like sheep instead?

LOL

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenixhasrisin

As i stated before it's all about the $$$$ for the airlines the more skinny people they can squeeze into their seats the better

Of course it's all about the money, it's a business; flying isn't a right of the masses.

Personally, I don't see what all the objections are for...hell, aren't most shipping cost's based upon weight? Maybe the airlines should get a clue from UPS.

[edit on 13-12-2007 by phoenixhasrisin]

Exactly enough said, some people are genetically obese due to their genetic makeup so should they be treated like a cow been herded to???

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Exactly enough said, some people are genetically obese due to their genetic makeup so should they be treated like a cow been herded to???

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

You're funny!

I noticed that you didn't mention any objection to shipping according to weight though.

Or are humans to be treated as something more than cargo?

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   

One flight i was bumped because a woman with a whiny kid decided they wanted my seats. I was lead off the plane and told i would get the next flight which turned out a day and a half later and two flights they couldn't seem to get me on. Did i get an apology? No. Did i get any voucher? No. Did i get any kind of compensation for my troubles? No. And yes i did complain, to no avail. And it was a threat of a law suit that the airline finally did something. I no longer fly that air line if I can help it.

That just ticks me off. You should have skipped the threats and just sued the crap off their faces, and gone public with it also. Same with the airline where they were making fun of you.

Did you have the window seat? If so, I'd have made sure to get up and use the restroom every 15 minutes on the dot.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
what if I'm not obese just big, I am 6'2" tall and broad shouldered
because I don't fit with the liliputian construction standards
of the third world I have to jam myself into these tiny seats.
the first class seats are only 3-4 inches wider. why do I have to suffer because corporate greed wants to shoehorn more people on a plane

as if over booking a 200 seat plane isn't bad enough they want to add more seats so they can strand more people.
just once I would like to make a flight without spending the whole flight leaning into the aisle, the stewardess's use those carts like battering rams

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Tinhatman

I guess that if the person's stomach, side, or arm is touching me without any intention, then I would try to overlook it. I'd do my best to deal with it. No, I wouldn't like it, but if I found it offensive it wouldn't be different from me being offended by the smell of Mr. B.O. I'm pretty sure that I'd be more offended by the smell of Mr. B.O., actually.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Maybe the airlines should just create a different section or class designed especially for big people? Flights are classed anyway, so there shouldn't be any complaints of discrimination. I don't see how it could be any more difficult to take the space of ten seats and fit it with five double sized seats that are specifically for big people. Since seats are priced according to occupancy rate, date of reservation, day of travel, and season it shouldn't be too hard for airlines to create a pricing structure where everybody benefits. I would bet that if an airline had five or ten seats especially designed for big people that those seats would sell for every flight. They would sell quickly enough that airlines would probably create seating for twenty big people. If all airlines did this then pricing would remain consistent and fair across the board.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by free_spirit_earth

Do you even bother to read a any posts in the thread, or just reply to the ones as you deam fit to?

I think you would find these posts rather interesting.
www.abovetopsecret.com...&mem=C0bzz

Please reply, and prove me wrong, 'again'.

We pay to much in taxes anyway for flights, departure tax, hell even noise tax at the airport now, govt tax, so hell yeah you better give me 2 seats for the price of 1 hell yeah...

You do understand that most of those taxes hurt airlines more than help them?

[edit on 14/12/2007 by C0bzz]

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Free spirit said:

No the price of petrol is going up because of a so called president from a so called country that doen't want to get his sheepish army out of IRAQ!!!

That may be so too...but I didnt mention price up there it was volume...It isnt rockect science (it could be though) to understand the more something weighs the more energy it takes to move it. Fat people cost more to transport than smaller people.

Why does everything get turned around on Bush? I mean come on. I dont like the man but you are saying that it is his fault that people are getting fat and it takes more fuel to fly them places?....I dont get it?

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Posession is 9/10th's of the law...

If an obese person is 'encroaching' his/her body, unto my seat, I want to be discounted on my ticket $$.

Why should I have to pay full seat price for a seat that's slowly being taken over and used by someone else, because of their obesity?

Where's the comfort in that? Long distance flights in this situation, would definately 'fluff my feathers in a wrong way'.

It's already close enough quarters, as it stands.

I've had to sit on 1/2 my hindquarters because someone fell asleep and 'splayed' across into my seat.

Nudging the person to wake them up, wouldn't work. I told the Flight Attendant, and they roused the person to re-shift their weight. No sooner had the Flight Attendant walked down the aisles, the rather large person went back to sawing logs, and re-planted their territorial flag into me again.

I want to be compensated.

~Ducky~

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Areal51

If large people had to pay more, merely for a bigger seat, I'd imagine there would be some legal issues.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
Nudging the person to wake them up, wouldn't work. I told the Flight Attendant, and they roused the person to re-shift their weight. No sooner had the Flight Attendant walked down the aisles, the rather large person went back to sawing logs, and re-planted their territorial flag into me again.

thats why the good lord invented garlic, sneezing, farting and coughing. try a combination of those to make their flight just as uncomfortable - and hopefully getting them to avoid contact with YOU.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueRaja

Probably, which is why it would be better if airlines split the cost of a flight among all passengers, the same as they do now. Competition among airlines would ensure that prices would remain economical. There doesn't have to be a loss of money for anybody. Normal sized persons might balk at paying an extra $3-$10 for their seats, but they have to realize that all people are not the same size.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by 1Angrylightbulb

I encourage you and so wish for you to enjoy life while eating sensibly. your voice has reached me most throughout this whole thread and i reach out to you in the hope you can change your lifestyle and re-start and get well and never, never feel embarrassment about your size.

best wishes and lots of love,

Floh.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

Yes. I'm 5'2" and 112 lb and coach class is truly a horrible experience. i once (ONCE!!!) got the opportunity to fly Virgin atlantic from London to Los Angelies in business class in a double row with no-once sitting next to me which was absolute and utter bliss of the highest order. even a first class passenger remarked to me i had lucked out inordinately and they were jealous as hell.

this was the highlight of my travelling life and i'm sure it won't be achieved ever again as circumstances are unlikely to prevail. last time i flew to the states from europe was in a bucket seat where a tall chap in front of me decided his way to travel was to recline his seat for 90% of the journey — poor me. even though my legs aren't all that, i suffered.

gawd knows what an average person would have had to have suffered.

meanwhile, in the grand scheme of things, it's not forever and we all get to disembark. a reclining passenger who was large on a bus ride from Chang Mai (Thailand) down past Phuket (which was hours and hours) became such a wonderful friend for the next month because i decided not to lash into her size being a problem, but just to chat and appeal for her to think of how her choice was prevailing. it was worth getting to know her rather than deciding she was a non person.

what could be the answer to taking up so much space? on the one hand i'm tired of going into supermarkts and having to ask someone to help me reach for something above my height — should i cry 'discrimination'? on the other: as human beings we come in all shapes and sizes, so life goes on. i think we could all be prepared to accommodate those who don't fit size x. i live in a country (germany) where so very many people are taller than tall and i'm used to craining my neck to speak to others. i visited Hong Kong where the Cantonese are as short as i am and it was amazing to find myself interacting with most at eye level. me and the Cantonses would travel quite comfortably, indeed.

so am i to point out anyone bigger than 5'2", 112 lb shouldn't be on public transpot without paying excess personal baggage?

stop feeding children so much protien and vitamin rich foods then growing young humans will shrink so travel will get cheaper!

absurd, no?

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by No_Worries

Perhaps you'd miss out on making a new friend should this come to pass.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Umbra Sideralis

Oh my gosh yes! what you've said — oh the humainty!!!

really, as time goes by in the western world i feel tolerance gets smaller and smaller and this thread has become far, far bigger than the question of whether people who are large should pay more for their flight.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join