It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does my son's high school have him read, OF ALL BOOKS, Orwell's 1984?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Orwell, clearly and plainly, EXPOSES the NWO agenda!

I thought public schools and public education were controlled by the Illuminati...

1984 should be the last book they would want him to read.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I think each state has (at least)some lee-way in the curriculum of their own schools.

Maybe, somebody at state level is trying to really educate our children.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
perhaps the Illuminati do not control the school system (or government at all)... and maybe the education department want to get children to be engaged in reading to further there education....
yeah right

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by thetruth777
Orwell, clearly and plainly, EXPOSES the NWO agenda!

I thought public schools and public education were controlled by the Illuminati...

why not? its just a book and a great piece of a read

the govt put pushing and shoving # down all our throats for a long time its up to each one individually to take or regurgitate (sp?)

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Should be requiredreading for all.
I stand up and applause your son's school, where do you live cuz we might be neighbors soon.

My kid's schools are just churning out uneducated robots, I am actually giving up my life and starting home school for the 3 of them because I am so completely mortified at the public school system in Ga.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Next on the agenda should be Farenheit 451.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
When I was in school we never read 1984,but we did have to read a story called"Animal Farm" by Orwell.I think I was in 9th grade.That was about 1984 or 85.I never did read the whole thing,but from what i did read it had the whole "big brother is watching" theme to it.I don't know why teachers pick subjects like that for students to read.But if my kids were to have to read anything like that I'm gonna make sure they understand everything that goes along with a one world government.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
You see, this is the conuundrum of the whole "illuminatti" theories, and it certainly is a conuundrum in regards as to who the "illuminatti" really is...

I am not saying that there isn't a "ruling elite" that controls the "happenings of society," I'm just not sure that it is composed of who and what many think it is.

[edit on 10-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
When I was in school, I was educated about this movie we learned, and it was called "Lord Of The Flies". To be honest, I was very well impressed by it and the whole idea of it. It was a good movie.

And then, we had to do questions later and had a great discussion about it.

[edit on 10-12-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Just because the NWO does indeed exist, doesn't mean they have complete control. There are still elements withing the government that fight against the NWO, this is just one example of it.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
yeah i read it in grade 11 about 6 years ago. i was really interested and finished it in a weekend, after that i started reading a lot of noam chomsky and the like. 1984 is probably the reason im where i am today, mentally.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
1984 is terribley outdated. If any book details our future it would be ''Brave New World'' by Aldous Huxley...notice that none of his works garner much attention nowadays.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
The bottom line is this:

As a parent its up to to to provide education for children at home as well. Too many parents these days cede that important step to MTV and the Playstation.

Agenda or not, its your parenting that ultimently makes a difference

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by thetruth777

Why?
They think we are too stupid to draw parallels between the book and what is currently going on in our big-brother society.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
When i went to school it was one of the books everyone had to read. Of course, it was all fiction back then. Interesting fiction. With the world as it is now, i think it has great meaning and i dont think its a bad thing.

I say every household should own a copy!!! Pass it around to those who dont know anything or chose to be in denial. I think its good to be ready for what is coming, and it obviously is non-fiction now. Maybe the apathy will turn and it will wake up people.

The book is available thru used book websites all over the place and i have my copy.

Knowledge is power, imo. As far as exposing kids to something like this, i think its also good. Kids nowadays are not stupid and they do know something is wrong and this is a great way for them to expect what the future may be like and thus prepare them. Just my opinion, of course.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
When I was in HS I had to read,and watch 1984, then watch A Clockwork Orange and Rollerball and write a report comparing the concepts in each movie and draw parallels to the modern world.

Changed my life.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Any one seen Brazil? that is loosely based on 1984 - in fact right up till a second ago I thought it was another by Orwell, but turns out not. But it's very bizarre review Orwell fans will appreciate it.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by thetruth777

quite the opposite, those in authority observe the behaviors of
the students and a student that has a marked change in behavior or
attitude after reading or viewing certain books or movies are
given an asterisk* or some notation that a visit to the school sociologist
is in order.

if after getting familiarized with work like '1984', the young adult is
motivated toward political activism or gravitates toward political science
as a career focus... they might get initiated into the elite circles and
get awarded a Rhodes scholarship...something along the lines of the
'Bill' Clinton story

ADD: the mandatory 12 year school is as much a screening and inspection of the individual process
as much as it is the incremental instruction as to where one fits into the social organism.

[edit on 12-12-2007 by St Udio]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Lets face it.
More kids use sparknotes to pass the exams on the book then actually read it.

Also exposing people to this book at such a young age may allow some to overlook the parallels therefore continuing the ignorance.

Again, I will repeat myself though, 1984 is not where the future is headed, we live in a Brave New World society in the rough.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Lol.. I am reading right now, trust me the Ilumniat don't run our school for sure. our teacher is in love with Orwell's writings. Lol... Where did you get the idea of the ilumnati running public schools? If you beleive that why do you send your kid to school? Lol

LAME...

-Jimmy-

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join