It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does my son's high school have him read, OF ALL BOOKS, Orwell's 1984?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
just about everyone I've ever known has had to read 1984. in high school i had to read that and animal farm. if someone does believe in the theory that people are being dumbed down in public schools, maybe the reason students are made to read these books is to paint a picture for them of what could absolutely never happen (lol). for the record i went to high school in south carolina.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 01:31 AM
link   
A curricular fixture

George Orwell was one of the greatest writers of the twentieth century. 1984 is his best-known work but not necessarily his best: read Animal Farm, Coming Up for Air, Burmese Days and The Road to Wigan Pier to gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of his work.

1984 does not 'expose the NWO agenda'. It is a warning and a polemic against totalitarianism, in particular the regime of Joseph Stalin.

Orwell, a former Communist, was disillusioned and disgusted by the turn events had taken in the USSR under Stalin. He was further infuriated by the fact that British leftists continued to support the Soviet dictator even after it became clear how much Stalin oppressed the people of the Soviet Union and dictated terms to the Communist Internationale. Orwell wrote 1984 partly in reaction against all that.

However, he was wise enough to see that totalitarianism, not Communism itself, was the ultimate enemy of freedom. He was writing in 1948 (he just reversed the last two digits of that year to get his title), when memories of Hitler and the highly efficient Nazi apparatus of tryanny were still very fresh. There's a lot of Nazism in 1984, especially in the Goebbelsian invention of Newspeak. In 1984, Orwell exposes the workings of this totalitarian apparatus and describes its effects on ordinary people.

Both 1984 and Animal Farm have been fixtures on secondary-school curricula all over the world since the 1960s at least. They are books that educate young people on politics and civics, in particular on freedom and the various threats to which it is vulnerable. They are placed on the curriculum by educationists who want, like the rest of us, to see a better future for our children.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by thetruth777

That is a very good book. I recall reading Orwells books in school also. The NWO aren't going to control every event. I assume there are people in the schooling systems who still want to actually educate the students!!! Orwells book are likely on a list of which some school districts can choose to study, at least that is how it was in my region

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
i've just finished year 12 and would you believe for the english subject, we had 1984.......we had talks in class about our points of view on it, and how it might be possibly happening now.....eg cameras everywhere

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Yes at my school we are required to read 1984, and Anthem. They both great books. I think its great we read it. The books expose us to conspiracy and opens our eyes. If anything this does not promote a big brother society, it actually prevents one. In class everyone's opinion is negative towards the big brother type society.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
i know, most school show that stuff to promote anti communist ideas.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I'm a senior in high school. Besides Tale of Two Cities, 1984 is the most influential piece of literature my government has exposed me to. It was used in an English module as a seguay into critical thinking skills. It is still 1984, we're living it.

Mira

Edit to replace the corporate-skanked-video... thanks for blocking BoobTube. AH's. Yip'er 1984.

[edit on 21-12-2007 by Mira_of_lurk0more]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
De-sensitizing the population , one classic at a time.

Listen to the news and inocuous things get comments from vapid reporters "Sounds like something out of 1984"

"A gas station gets security cameras installed that can see cars stopped at the intersection, wow Mary Von Wunderslut. That sounds like something right out of 1984."

"Sure does, Pablo Del Reado-newso."

But then you get, "The Orlando Police Department has installed cameras at all intersections in the metro area and on various heavily trafficked walkways. Captain Political Appointee of OPD says 'we hope that this will act as a deterrent to criminals and redlight runners.' It makes me feel safer already, back to you Julie Von Huffensnatch."

So a gas station getting security cameras is like 1984. Well I guess 1984 was not so bad. We live in America. It could never get like that anyway..

or

Oh, we live in Britain in 1980. We are a free Anglo nation. The idea that we would have cameras watching us 24 hours a day everywhere we go is rubbish..... this Great Britain for chrissakes! It could never happen here!

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The truth has been mangled in so much disinfo I believe the gov't doesn't really care what's put out. Why bother denying something when the masses will argue amongest themselves over it? Just easier to say "I don't know" and let the public go wild with imagination, that's enough of a screen.

[edit on 22-12-2007 by Tomis_Nexis]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Someone asked why others thought the NWO order runs public schools.
Well here's your answer, absolute truth that there is an agenda in public schooling being run by people who have no interest in education.

Google Video: Who Controls the Children? Nearly an hour long.

In my senior year we read "Black Boy" and a few other sob stories about African Americans. Having been assaulted by groups for these 'unfortunate bastards",
I was very not sympathetic to their plight. I asked the teacher "Why do you keep teaching us about poor black people, what about the fact that we are all white here, will be leaving school in a few months, and probably won't be able to get a job ourselves"

I was told "Shut up".

Well thats the last day of senior English class I went to.

[edit on 22-12-2007 by Legalizer]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join