It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islam In The World: The silence of the moderates

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   

ISLAM IN THE WORLD The silence of the moderates

www.iht.com

"The woman and the man guilty of adultery or fornication, flog each of them with 100 stripes: Let no compassion move you in their case, in a matter prescribed by Allah, if you believe in Allah and the Last Day." (Koran 24:2)

In the last few weeks, in three widely publicized episodes, we have seen Islamic justice enacted in ways that should make Muslim moderates rise up in horror.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/9/07 by FredT]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   
This article pretty much describe my take on Islam. Now is not that I'm trying to paint all Islam followers with a big brush, but when incidents like the one that article describe happen, I think is up to moderate Muslims to show why is that we have to think that Islam is a religion of peace and compassion.

IMO if they are silent when this atrocities are committed, that makes them part of the problem IMO. Why there aren't moderate Muslims speaking out against this?

www.iht.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

My guess would be that moderate muslims are not considered real muslims by the vast majority of the muslim population. They are likely too afraid to speak out against these atrocities, lest they face accusations of blasphemy. Again, terrorist sympathizers will attempt to make certain customs and doctrine appear versatile when they simply are not. I know muslims, and when they are asked about things such as adultery, homosexuality and blasphemy they do not take issue with saying these crimes are justified with the death of the perpetrators. That is just how their culture is.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   
And I say pushing aside the religious beliefs of another, REGARDLESS of what they practice, is ONLY opening yourself up to having your religion stripped away from you as well.

If they choose to beat each other for adultery, LET 'EM.

If they choose to beat themselves for sinning, LET 'EM.

As long as they keep it TO THEMSELVES and don't push it on me, they will hear no complaints from this end.

Is what they do wrong by most of our standards? Of course it is.

However, if people are going to preach freedom of religion, it should extend to ALL religions. I don't care if it's voodoo, islam or christianity.

Jasn

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
If you don't hear from the moderates, it's not because we are speaking, it's because the media chooses to ignore us. Which gets more news coverage - violence or peace?

There is only so much we can say till we are shut out from having a voice. Don't look to extremists muting our voices, but rather your own media.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimiusDei

If they choose to beat each other for adultery, LET 'EM.

If they choose to beat themselves for sinning, LET 'EM.

As long as they keep it TO THEMSELVES and don't push it on me, they will hear no complaints from this end.

Jasn

The problem with that Jasn, is that most do not choose their religion or life circumstances. They are born into it.

Where is the humanity in turning a blind eye to the suffering of the powerless at the hands of the powerful?

'I'm alright Jack', and 'not in my back yard', are symptoms of a diseased and decaying Heart, IMO.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

or most of us have a life
we have work to
we study

as i said before i dont take a fudge about what some twit accross the atlantic or here in the UK thinks of me and my faith and what kind of person i am, i will just stick with the respect of my pears and return it in kind,

Keep on preaching how moterate muslims dont speak out

[edit on 8-12-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
reply to post by DJMessiah

Keep on preaching how moterate muslims dont speak out

[edit on 8-12-2007 by bodrul]

But why is it then, that when the cartoons of the prophet came out, all sorts of Muslims from across the world came out in protest?! They have time for that?

They have time to protest a cartoon but not protest the rights of a human being??! That's what we talking about here.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Double post.

[edit on 8-12-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

seeing as the MAJORITY where in 3rd world countries and where Jobs less is very high alot of people there will do anything to get out onto the street and protest about anything

also education is a factor
and how it is portrayed by the media

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch

But why is it then, that when the cartoons of the prophet came out, all sorts of Muslims from across the world came out in protest?!

Great... here we go again
Responding to underlined part.
Read this thread.
Really too tired (physically) to type out a long, off a tangent post on this. Also psychologically tired (of this accusation being rehashed ad nauseum).
Read it if you really are looking for the answer instead of simply baiting.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Did you know Islam is the only arabhamic religion that states Jews, Christians and Muslims will all go to heaven? Of course you didn't, I'm guessing you haven't even read the Qur'an

(is a Christian btw)

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
If you people don't want to acknowledge that their is faults within the Muslim faith and prefer rather to look the other way, then you all become part of the problem.

I'm not saying here that Islam is a cult full of wackos that are vested in killing every non-Muslim human being. This is not what I'm saying at all.

I already express my point as this is why Islam is view in such a negative way by many, and posted the article that gives 3 recent cases that moderate Muslim could do their religion a favor by speaking out.

I'm not anti-Muslim, but I'm tired of people trying to justify atrocities for any reason. The " just look the other way" or the media excuse just gets old sometimes IMO.

Many people here jump on anykind of bandwagon excuse, instead of really looking what is the root of the issue and that says a lot if we trying to deny ignorance here.

And I don't want this thread to become a Muslim bashing or slandering party, just want to talk about the article and what the article presents, which is why so many moderate Muslims don't speak out when atrocities are committed in the name of their religion.

[edit on 8-12-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
The moderates are speaking, but by their very nature moderates are not given to violent protests & other newsworthy outrages.

Perhaps it's not so much that the moderates are silent, as that no one on the outside is listening to anything they say?

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
according to Muslim doxy, anyone who refuse Islam should be Slaughtered.
so moderate Muslims have already violated their doxy.
I think they are just too shame to say NO to their fanatical Islam-mate.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
While my first instinct may be to jump in here and explain how ALL religions are guilty of some really disgusting things, and then try to pit religion against religion to prove my point, I'm actually going to try to step in the middle here.

All groups of people, whether categorized by race, creed, or religion, will forever contain extremists.

There were extremist whites (kkk), extremist religious members (crusaders), in fact, every single race, religion, and cause has had people in it that take things to such an extreme, the entire group looks like they are out for destruction.

Every side choses to look only upon the disgusting traits of the other side, and in turn, they chose to only see the positive traits of their own.
It's this vicious circle that separates people from people.

The sooner all of you realize that your religion is almost exactly like theirs, the sooner you will be able to stop beating the war drums and focus on something other than destroying yourselves and everything society has tried so hard to build.

Don't dare reply with "but they did this" or, "their religious texts say this", I can point out some very compelling points in history which prove why ALL religions should be banned.

There isn't a single religion who has abided by their own rules of non-violence. And each one is guilty of using their "god" as an excuse to kill.

If there really is a god, the last people to get into any form of a heaven are the religious.

And yes, I'm painting you ALL with the same brush, cause I've never heard a fresh argument from a single one of you. It's always "but they did this, so we're better".

It were atheists that started the damn religions in the first place.
If there really were a god, he wouldn't have let you screw up this badly.

[edit on 8-12-2007 by johnsky]

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Exactly,

Every religion has its extreme element, the Christian right is one example and Jewish settlement movement in Israel is another.

It's childish, or potentially racist, to just single out one group and say "oh no, you are the naughty boys. Worse of the worse" (which some members of ATS like to do).

I have lots of muslims friends, some EVEN give me Christmas cards. One has attended Church with me. He loves Britain, our political system and is a Monarchists! But as someone highlighted in this thread, the media never gives air time to the moderates.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Then let me ask you a question, how does your frind feel when the cases outlined in the article happen? That's all I want to know.

I remember in the thread of the British teacher, that some people went as far as blaming the teacher for putting herself at the mercy of sharia law.

As I said already a hundred thousand times, I KNOW not all Muslims are like that, but then why the silence when atrocities are being committe in the name of their religion.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

All I can say to your arguement is that I'm pretty sure that there was killing happening in this planet way before religions of any kind made appear in this planet.

Atrocities were committed in this planet by people who never knew religion in their life and were drove by desires of greed, conquest and killing a fellow human, so I don't think religion is guilty of all the killings and atrocities that had happen in this world. HUMAN BEINGS IS THE PROBLEM.

I think religion is use by humans just to give them a sense of justification that whatever atrocities are committed since they are committed in the name of GOD its ok.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
As I said already a hundred thousand times, I KNOW not all Muslims are like that, but then why the silence when atrocities are being committe in the name of their religion.

Thats a lie.

During "TeddyGate", many moderates in the UK spoke out and we even posted the articles on the internet. Sadly, many on ATS ignore it and continued the Muslim bashing. Moderates Muslims were all over the UK media throughout the period, she was released because of two muslim politicans who travelled on their own to get her release.

Same with July 7th, moderates carried out a protest in London against those who carried out the bombings and declared a public fatwa against them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join