It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beer Prices to Soar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Demand for biofuels, most prominently corn-based ethanol, is enticing more and more farmers switch their crops from wheat, barley, soy, etc to corn.

Beer Prices Could Double

This was discussed months ago in these threads:

Is ethanol really a good idea?
Price of Corn vs. Ethanol

I hope some leaders and policy makers see how foolish this is before real damage is done.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..................

Not my beer, they can't do it to me like that..........damn if it happens the future looks bleak indeed.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Oh no!!! Say it isn't so. Now I'll not only be too poor to drive to the local pub, but after walking many miles in the cold and rain, I'll only be able to get half as smashed.

This is an outrage.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Hahahaha.

Hopefully this will kick start some hearts in regards to "staple food" price gouging. To many of my friends, beer take reign over both milk and eggs. I hope you're all as pissed as you should be.

[edit on 7-12-2007 by DeadFlagBlues]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Oh well… Might as well get used to it, because everything is going to soar. They keep printing up new money with no backing to make the numbers look good, while depreciating the value of the dollar. Pretty soon its going to cost a wheelbarrow full of cash to buy a loaf of bread just as it did at the end of WWII in Germany. Remember:

“Rev 6:6 And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine. “

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
It is not just about the grains. Hops are experiencing a real shortage now, even commercial brewers are having a hard time picking up what they need to make their signature beers, prices of some types are twice to three times what they were a year ago. The price of barley will almost double in Jan, consumers have already been warned.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I drink imports, so I'm already paying through the nose. I can't believe anyone is surprised by price hikes for anything these days. Nothing ever gets cheaper.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
here in the UK , bread and beer have already risen (no pun ).

and the supermarkets have just been done for fixing the dairy prices .
combine that with high fuel costs and a bad house market and its not a good outlook !!!

snoopyuk

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Well, that it... only one thing left to do... back to brewing my own!
I'm fortunate in that I have a hop tree (actually two) growing right in my backyard and have brewed with them in the past. I have all of the equipment, carbouys, sparge, spec. gravity meter, wort can etc... even imperial pint bottles with a capper. I stopped brewing years ago because the amount of time required and my wife hated the smell of the wort.

Oh well,
looks like she had better get used to it. There ain't no way on God's green Earth that I'm living without my tasty cold barley sodas!

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Hey kozmo, where ya live man? Can I join you in brewing up some suds?
You don't sound like a person who would be stingy.
Anyway I have the same idea, but if a can't buy or brew the beer then I know plenty of moonshiners here in the south that I can join.

If there's a will then there's a way.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
It's not price gouging...the profit margin on foods is typically quite low.
Two main factors at work here:

1. Ethanol nonsense
2. Horrible droughts or flooding just about everywhere

top topics

join