It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is there an ignore button when this site is suppost to be denying ignorance?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
Why is there an ignore button when this site is suppost to be denying ignorance?

I use ignore because I simply don't want to read a lot of the trollspam that gets posted here. But there is a limit of 10 ignores. And I just found out that you cant even post a thread to discuss that, as mine was spirited away to a complaints and business forum (cbf) which I didn't know about and can't even access. I believe it should be my individual right to decide who, why, and how many people to ignore. In fact, it's going to be my new sig

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Ok, I have to ask, Who is the Most Ignored person on ATS? Surely there is someone who holds the record as having ticked the most people off.

This person, whoever he or she is should be honored with a special insignia or signature. Instead of V.I.P. he could be M.I.P.

Some would consider it a badge of honor.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
That question only brings one thing to mind at this point. Why do stores that are open 24x7x365 days out of the year have locks on them?? We have a post office in Angier that has the same thing so I asked one day why the lock. Answer: Someone may have to use the bathroom and no one will be there to watch the place for a few moments. Maybe we can put someone on temp. ignore while we make a bathroom run.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shar_Chi
10 ignores is nowhere near enough.

Yeah, I have days when I feel the same way.

The good news is that after a bit most of my ignorees get banned and I can delete 'em.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Some ignorance is so bad, it cannot be denied......then it can only be ignored.

You could say the ignore button is one very handy tool that can be used to deny ignorance.... in more ways than one....

It can save one from doing something 'ignorant' enough to get oneself warned or even banned...... I wish some of my 'friends' had made timely use of the ignore button, but instead they doggedly 'fought on' tho it was hopeless, and in the end got themselves banned....what a waste!

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Because "denying ignorance" and "denying pests" are not mutually exclusive. Sometimes it is an act of denying ignorance to but the offensively ignorant on ignore.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The use of the ignore feature is a crutch a weak minded individual uses as a substitute for what a well disciplined mind should be able to do.Automatically.

Learning to discipline your mind to filter out the noise is a good exercise for your mind.

Sometimes it takes a lot of practice to learn self restraint. For those that don't have the fortitude to restrain themselves, It might be a useful tool.

For example:
Most successful politicians have had to master this skill. Watch how masterfully a seasoned politician can mentally ignore, deflect or even reverse an ignorant question.To enhance their position.

Learning to develop this mental skill will help you in "real life" as well. sticking your fingers in your ears and going la la la la while your boss is spouting idiocy is not as helpful as taking in what he/she is saying and storing it for future reference. You might be able,with practice, to use that BS to get the bosses job someday.

While I understand that some members "cannot handle those people", and for them the ignore feature may help them remain members here.
And that is a good thing if they recognize this weakness in self restraint.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Of course, the Mods have a "master ignore button" the thread closed button. It was used on a thread about this topic in Sept, 2010 by a mod The mod linked the topic suggesting we post in one of those threads...90% of those are also closed. Brilliant. I found one...how old???
Thanks

[edit on 8-9-2010 by Zeptepi]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

The Ignore button is there to ensure that when a poster refuses to participate in genuine debate , one does not have to veiw his posts when they detract from the actual discussion. It is not for ignoring posters you do not agree with .

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Adding an ignore button actually kinda takes away the whole idea of it being a discussion, as its possible not censor the thing you dont want to hear

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Utilizing the ignore button can save you alot of trouble. It keeps you, hopefully, from making an ill tempered/ill conceived remark that would require a mod, such as myself to step in...

Think of the ignore feature as a survival tool.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I don't think the idea of the ''ignore'' feature, because it promotes ignorance.

ATS has a broad range of topics covered, and it clearly doesn't follow that just because someone's views on one issue may be unpalatable to you, that they won't still be capable of posting intelligent and thoughtful comments on other issues.

I also think using the ''ignore'' button is a bit of a cop-out, as it is effectively done so you don't have deal with thinking about the view that the you take issue with. It's like sticking your fingers in your ears, and saying: ''Ner, ner, ner, I can't hear what you're saying !''.

There's also another problem, in that if you have someone on ''ignore'', you won't know whether they are spreading insulting, derogatory and untrue comments about you ''behind your back'', so to speak.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
Ok ! I don't understand why there's an ignore button when this is suppost to be a discussion board and denying ignorance is the Motto ?
~snip~
[edit on 12/4/2007 by Solarskye]

Simple. Because sometimes, Denying Ignorance requires denying ignorants...at least, for me it does.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
It is a rather silly option..But maybe it was designed to help those with high blood pressure stay alive,...
Sometimes I wish I could press the ignore button on my wife,... but, I am forced to deal with it,...the occasional madness

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join