It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chimps Have Better Memory than YOU

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Well, what ever the out come about chimp and human memory and which is smarter, your more likely hear a human say "You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you! Damn you all to hell!" lol

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

I think a lot has gone wrong when our aim in discourse about chimpanzees is proving some kind of we can do this better etc. It is not likely that many chimpanzee consciousness/intelligence proponents think that one of their chimps is ever going to be a professor, but when a chimp can do things that require cognition it throws much up in the way that we perceive animals. Chimpanzees are to my mind conscious and intelligent and this experiment goes one step further to getting us dumb humans to accept this simple fact.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by redled
reply to post by BlueRaja

Humans in general have set this planet on a path to destruction, chimpanzees in general have had their habitats destroyed and all semblance of rights taken. By humans. I'm glad you're no party to all of this, and despite what you might think, I try not to be party either.

Yet isn't it ironic they are the only other species on the planet that has ever been observed to make war against it's own kind.

The only other primates that kill their own kind are in fact, us. Humans and chimpanzees show a common aggressive tendency and will actively seek out and kill members of their own species. Chimpanzees and humans are the only other species that, out of 4000 other mammal species and 10 million other non-mammal species, have been observed to hunt and kill members of a rival group.

source

The hypothesis being we share a common ancestor of 5 million years ago. On the inside, we are very much alike.

2PacSade-

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by 2PacSade

Lots of animals kill, not all in an organised fashion, I worry about our lack of respect for the realities other animals face. Sure chimps are aggressive, but we have wanton maniacs who do not give a damn about life on this planet at all. We've moved it up to another level, but that does not mean that we should not bestow rights to conscious life onto well, quite a few species.

[edit on 4-12-2007 by redled]

[edit on 4-12-2007 by redled]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
watch this link
video
Make sure please that you do watch both clips
shocking and amazing to know they have a great memory

i know i cant do it , and i am so sure that most of us wont be able to do it either

enjoy

[edit on 4-12-2007 by emazens]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by malganis
Doesn't necessarily mean that they're smarter, just that they have better memories. So do elephants, don't they?

The variety of tests included not only remembering sequences, but sequences with missing numbers. Not only could they remember the positions of the numbers 1 through 9, but, for example, 1,3,6,7 & 9, showing that they knew which numbers were next without following an obvious patterned sequence.

All I know is they must have been some damned good peanuts !!

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
Bogus research. if I spent a whole week memorizing a deck of cards from front to back i'd beat the chimp. Trust me, this research is bogus, of course the monkey is going to memorize everything if he had 6 months to work on it.

Try actually reading the article.. They didn't have 6 months to do anything. They were shown a flash of numbers, which changed randomly.

Don't feel threatened...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
So what?
Most animals also have stronger senses than us Humans aswell. Every living thing is fascinating and intelligent in its own way.

But guess what? humans are on top. Lets see chimps battle it out with humans or any other animal for that matter. Humans will outsmart any other animal out there. We have the means to feast on any animal we please... Name another animal that has the means to do that.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Chimps have a lot less on their minds than me, too. They're not worried about work, paying rent, school, relationships, etc. My mind would be a lot sharper, too, if all I had to think about was where my next banana was coming from and who I should throw poop at.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Palasheea
Chimpanzees are smarter than you and me, including every other human being on the planet!
That article said nothing about them being smarter only that young chimps have better memory's than adult humans. They also say that "Ai, the first chimp trained, an adult female was found with a memory capability equal to that of adult humans."

I would be interested to see the results for a human child, it sounds to me like this research was designed to get the result they wanted. It's a well know fact that children have better memory's than adults so why would they even try to compare the young chimp with the adult human after knowing the results for human and chimp adults were equal?

[edit on 4-12-2007 by three08]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Yes, but as the article says...

Dr. Matsuzawa speculated that perhaps somewhere back in common evolution, humans and chimps had this ability. But humans lost it because they gained something else, communicating through a complex language.

So, what can we assume here if anything. That for one, chimps have a better memory or accuracy than humans simply because of where they are on the evolutionary ladder? Perhaps this pattern recognition is essential for existence in the wild in lieu of a complex language to convey emotions, thoughts and ideas.

While the study may prove that chimps exhibit a tendency towards better recall, I hardly suspect that this study would support a hypothesis that chimps are more intelligent or smarter than humans.

As the study said, it's a complex language that seperates us. And it is this language which has allowed man to develop over hundreds of centuries.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I like how religious forces are actually quantifying the soul.

Figure it, how many tests do chimps have to pass for intelligence and consciousness? The awarding authorities will have to pass them on tests 1,3,4,5,6,10,(13 & 17 together), 14 and 18.

Should that happen, we will have a set of numbers that tell us if a species has a soul!!!!

We will have to define a constitution of the soul.......

Let that not maybe?

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChronMan
So what?
Most animals also have stronger senses than us Humans aswell. Every living thing is fascinating and intelligent in its own way.

But guess what? humans are on top. Lets see chimps battle it out with humans or any other animal for that matter. Humans will outsmart any other animal out there. We have the means to feast on any animal we please... Name another animal that has the means to do that.

My, so many people seem to be so distressed by the fact that mere chimps have a good memory, better than humans infact, that they're throwing in all sorts of arguments to beat their chests with.

It's pretty funny actually..

Yes, I'm sure that us mighty awesome humans can outsmart these lowly animals, we are Superior !!!! *Mighty laughter, sneering at the lower creatures*

...give me chimps any day...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Freenrgy2

The thing is, no one in the article has claimed that chimps are more intelligent than humans. It's either been an assumption by some people, or argued against by others despite it not being the point.

I don't know why people feel so threatened by something so mundane.

People have taught chimps sign language and have discovered from basic communication that they see the world in their own unique way - for instance, trying to teach a chimp the sign for Duck, the chimp kept on referring to "water bird".

This doesn't mean that they aren't going to be building a nuclear reactor any time soon, or taking jobs at wallmart, so I don't understand why some people are so eager to 'put these stoopid monkeys back in their place, damn them all to hell!!'..

It's just an interesting fact..

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drzava
even dophins(sp) are better than us

If dolphins are better than us then why didn't they invent the computer? or buildings? or aeroplanes? or cars?

see where this is going?
who says a good memory is the defining factor in being 'the best'?

why not other things like inventiveness, cunning, organisation, opposable thumbs, etc... they're things that will actually affect the outcome of your species, so don't you think that they're important in being 'the best'?

ok so the chimps win a simple memory test, but i think we can already see who came out on top overall with control of the planet.

remember that some people dont even know where their country is.

yeaaahh that's not really a good representation of the entire human race lol that's just a few dumb citizens that were specially picked out to appear on youtube because they were especially dumb...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
just further proof of our forced De-evolution.

say what you want but it is a variant that Monkeys didn't have on us 50 years ago...

watch this video... If you don't like Korn mute it and read the screen.

amazing the facts some rock bands can inform you of.

In case the video doesn't work Linky Linky!

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller

Originally posted by Drzava
reply to post by jedimiller

ur ego cant accept monkeys are better than u

Not true, get me a monkey and I'll prove this research wrong my friend. Powned!!

Dude I think your goggles are on too tight, a chimp is not a monkey it is an ape. That would mean no tail.

Read the article and watch the video, their short term memory is a lot better than ours because they are wild animals. They must constantly be aware of their surroundings which is why they possess and rely on this almost photographic memory ability.

For years scientists have been telling us Man is the smartest of all living creatures.
They also have been telling us only Man has the intelligence to create and utilize tools, yet Caledonian Crows can take wire, bend it like a hook and use it as a tool.
That would mean scientists can be wrong, but don't tell the global warming bunch.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Many animals are 'intelligent' and 'self aware'. Ignorance says otherwise.

From cuttlefish, octopus, parrots, chimp, dogs, and even large creatures such as elephants and whales - they have all proven that they can be intelligent by OUR standards.

We DO NOT hold the monopoly on smarts - we just think we do. We have the ability do DESTROY as well as create and that is what defines us. We don't need a 'desire' to kill or hurt or waste, it's inbuilt. We are not special because of it.

Sure we may think we are, but the end result is our own demise. The almighty dollar means nothing to a tree, flower or the air. But they are expendable items to US if they stand in OUR way of it.

We are the most selfish, greedy, ignorant, ugly and destructive creatures to have spread across this planet. To compare other life to US as a means to quantify it's worth, is really bloody disgusting.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Um, well, memory and concentration does not have much to do with Chimps being smarter than us.
Untill all areas of intellegence has been tested, fairly, then all that is, is what I call, SPECULATION.

With no memory, you are not going to succeed in intelligence tests.

And with exellent memory, yet piss poor everything you won't succeed in intelligence tests either.

well bring me any human and i will prove u wrong

Well, here I am...

Prove me wrong.

even dophins are better than us

Maybe not in intelligence.

remember that some people dont even know where their country is.

Like 2% of the population.

[edit on 5/12/2007 by C0bzz]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I have a few friends that act like monkeys. does that mean they are smarter than me?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join