It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texan 'hero' shoots and kills burglars

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
Fair enough. I will stop posting on this thread. But I will say one more thing, this guy is no hero. he's a blood thirsty killer. This will keep me from visiting Texas. good luck there.

Hey while your at it stay out of Missouri aswell I totally agree with what this hero did......I woulda shot their asses if they was breaking into homes in my neighborhood aswell......Black,white,green or purple.....A theif is a thief no matter how petty....

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Dont Taze Me Bro

Agreed.

This issue is mostly about personal morals... and a little bit of law. While I find the views of some of the people posting in the thread personally abhorrent, I feel it's better to explain your own feelings and views rather than attempt to argue that other people are wrong in theres.

And don't resort to such outlandish claims like some of the ones you've made.

[edit on 4-12-2007 by BitRaiser]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I guess the guys that broke into the football players house in Florida and shot him should be let off now because they was desperate and they had to break and enter to survive......O and also because they was all black so it was justified.......Lmao this is hillarious you guys playing the race card as an excuse to justify what these theives did ......And to condemn this guy for shooting these theives because he was white......

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sentinel 1
I guess the guys that broke into the football players house in Florida and shot him should be let off now because they was desperate and they had to break and enter to survive...

Don't be an ass.
No one has suggested that the crooks should have been let off.
The argument is that a death sentence is no befitting a crime in which no-one was hurt.

Should I ask if it's ok to blow the head off a corrupt accountant after he makes a false entry into a journal?

Is it ok to hunt down and kill someone who stole a candy bar 2 years ago?

No, I shouldn't. Those would be stupid comments.
Don't make stupid comments.

...O and also because they was all black so it was justified...

Again, this is simply retarded.
No one has said that their being black is any kind of excuse.
There does, however, exist a certain portion of the population that has an irrational hatred for blacks... and a much larger one that is intolerant of blacks and ignorant of how brutal life can get at the bottom.

that still doesn't make it ok for them to break into people's homes, but neither does it make it ok for someone to shoot them when they aren't a threat.

....Lmao this is hillarious you guys playing the race card as an excuse to justify what these theives did ...

Again, no one is using it as an excuse.
You just seem to want to read it that way because dead criminals makes you happy and you don't want anything to interfere with your comfortable, unthinking bias. Nor do you want to consider that your own morality might be questionable when you cheer at the tragic and pointless deaths of fellow human beings.

...And to condemn this guy for shooting these theives because he was white......

I have seen no one make that claim, either.
However, given the privilege this guy seems to enjoy (nice house, nice neighborhood), I would expect him to know better.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sentinel 1

Hey while your at it stay out of Missouri aswell I totally agree with what this hero did......I woulda shot their asses if they was breaking into homes in my neighborhood aswell......Black,white,green or purple.....A theif is a thief no matter how petty....

Nobody deserves to lose their life for theft either, punished? yes but depends on the severity.

Even in some Islamic countries I think they still cut off their hand for steeling yet thats seen as barbaric and I agree,even they dont kill them for it though.

I would like to hear from the owners of the house that got broken into,I doubt they are cheering their deaths.

Simply because most people wouldn`t if their half decent imo.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by BitRaiser
Don't be an ass.
No one has suggested that the crooks should have been let off.
The argument is that a death sentence is no befitting a crime in which no-one was hurt.

Should I ask if it's ok to blow the head off a corrupt accountant after he makes a false entry into a journal?

Is it ok to hunt down and kill someone who stole a candy bar 2 years ago?

No, I shouldn't. Those would be stupid comments.
Don't make stupid comments.

I have seen plenty of comments to where others suggest these guys have did nothing wrong and as far as the accountant thing.......Nice try, There is a big difference between an accountant making a mistake and an individual breaking into your home.......And the candy bar thing there is a difference there aswell this was a robbery in progress not a 2 year old crime....These guys were caught redhanded durring the crime.....

Dont throw sand in your own eyes durring a gun fight.......

Again, this is simply retarded.
No one has said that their being black is any kind of excuse.
There does, however, exist a certain portion of the population that has an irrational hatred for blacks... and a much larger one that is intolerant of blacks and ignorant of how brutal life can get at the bottom.

I have seen this twisted to be a race issue instead of a crime issue....And I see white hatred all the time myself not just by blacks but hispanics and muslims etc..... Blah blah blah, Get over it racism is not restricted to white only......

Again, no one is using it as an excuse.
You just seem to want to read it that way because dead criminals makes you happy and you don't want anything to interfere with your comfortable, unthinking bias. Nor do you want to consider that your own morality might be questionable when you cheer at the tragic and pointless deaths of fellow human beings.

That is simply your oppinion and typical stereo typing of someone that has a weak arguement.......I am in no way bias on issues like this it is called common sence and knowing what is happening.....And my son is fighting in Iraq so believe me I dont cheer about trajic and pointless deaths in any way......

I have seen no one make that claim, either.
However, given the privilege this guy seems to enjoy (nice house, nice neighborhood), I would expect him to know better.

O really? How did the race issue come into this conversation then??? I guess it is a crime to enjoy living comfortably aswell.....And not have to worry about theives breaking into your home and taking away your lively hood...... Well it looks like he knew that these guys were in the wrong by breaking into his neighbors house.....Because it seems he has alot of support behind what he did.......But I suppose that is just all the rednecks uniting behind him huh????

[edit on 4-12-2007 by Sentinel 1]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

Here we go with the "hate crime" card, Ok I assume that Horn is a white guy, I really dont think if the robbers were white as well he would have treated them diffrent, and I dont think he said to himself Oh good these boys are brown, im gonna kill them cause i dont like them browns. robbers dont have a color at least not to me, if anything they are red..as in they are a threat

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Sentinel 1

Since it is apparent that you'd rather stick to dogmatic support of the status quo than have a rational discussion, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disengage at this point.

Besides, my back is a little sore tonight.
You'll forgive me if I don't feel inclined to stoop.

[edit on 4-12-2007 by BitRaiser]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Besides, my back is a little sore tonight.
You'll forgive me if I don't feel inclined to stoop.

Nice, may I borrow that one one day?

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by tac109
Here we go with the "hate crime" card, Ok I assume that Horn is a white guy, I really dont think if the robbers were white as well he would have treated them diffrent, and I dont think he said to himself Oh good these boys are brown, im gonna kill them cause i dont like them browns. robbers dont have a color at least not to me, if anything they are red..as in they are a threat

Although I too hate to see the race card played, there is a part of me that started wondering right away...

Not that the man is racist, but could his mass-media influenced perceptions have predisposed him to act the way he did?

Given the area and his "I can't believe this is happening here... this is scary" comment, I find it easy to believe that this man hasn't had a whole lot of contact with impoverished minority individuals. Thus, his perception likely stems only from what he's seen on TV. The mass-media image is "black criminals are deadly dangerous! FEAR THEM!!".

I, knowing something about the criminal element, wouldn't have been particularly scared of these guys. Their MO might seem brazen, but this kind of job is done in the day time because everyone in those kinds of neighborhoods is usually at work or in school at that time. The thieves were trying to avoid contact and knew enough to know that this was the best way to do it. In short, they would be much more likely to run than fight. Armed with that knowledge (and a shotgun) I might have been tempted to confront them... but I very much doubt I would have pulled the trigger.

I rambled a bit there, but I hope my point came through...

That Mr Horn might not be a conscious racist, but because of the media he's been exposed to, he may have made the decisions he did due to a stereotype that is racially connected.

Does that make any sense?

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Dont Taze Me Bro

Hehe.
We can discuss royalties at a future date.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Not that the man is racist, but could his mass-media influenced perceptions have predisposed him to act the way he did?

That Mr Horn might not be a conscious racist, but because of the media he's been exposed to, he may have made the decisions he did due to a stereotype that is racially connected.

Does that make any sense?

It entirely makes sense and we are all to blame.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by BitRaiser

Sorry it took me a bit to respond.... as I am a little green on this site and had to figure the editing feature out which for me is like a rubics cube but a I GOT IT NOW LOOK OUT!!!

Anyway I am just calling the shots as I see them from my veiw it is not any status quo just my oppinion......We all have them.....

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Here is a scenario for ya...Just pure speculation.....

I carry a gun everyday on my job...I am a govt security contractor...I guard a military installation nothing really dangerous here though.....Lets say I see a couple of guys wearing "burkas" jump the fence and run through......I yell at them to stop....And they keep going should I shoot and kill them or should I just let them go on with what they are doing out of fear that if I kill them that I will be called a racist....For killing them....I am a white guy......And for the record I do not think anything is worth stealing and dieing for at the facility....... What would you do????

And nothing cheesy either like I wouldnt take the job either....lol

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Sentinel 1

I would go by whatever policy your employer gave to follow. Most likely in a situation like that where it is a military faclity the answer is probably shoot once in the air as a warning and the next shot is to center mass if they don't halt.

Wig

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   
SO was he arressted yet? is there an update on how the situation is likely to play out?

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

Well, as relates to this case ROBBERY was not the crime committed, BURGLARY was.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Personally... I think I woulda knee capped 'em. Best of both worlds. You stop 'em and they live to learn a valuable lesson about cause and effect (crime and punishment).

[edit on 1-12-2007 by BitRaiser]

Ah yes then they get better and come back and kill your whole family. The guys only mistake was calling 911 to begin with.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777

Nobody deserves to lose their life for theft either, punished? yes but depends on the severity.

BS, and crap, plain and simple. Bottom line here is this : If someone wants to steal, thieve, break and enter whatever in my world, I have the absolute right to protect my property and my family and bury them were they stand! Criminals need to understand if you want to be an evil person then you get exactly what you deserve.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
There are a lot of intelligent people here posting their thoughts and opinions. I disagree with most of them but can respect them at the same time. I personally own guns and if in the old man's shoes ...I would have confronted the men also. In that situation....it would be fairly easy to control 2 would be robbers in plain daylight...yes it may have resulted in violence...to what extent? I cant say but I am a lot younger than he and probally a little better trained. I stand behind him 100%. He did what he believed was the right thing and if those men stepped on his property and became aggressive towards him...well I would have shot them too.
Some say the punishment doesnt fit the crime. Well that is a double edged sword there. NOW THIS IS A WHAT IF...If the old man didnt have the gun and confronted them, would he be alive? We dont know.

When I was about 4.5 yrs old a man broke into our home and threatened to kill me if my mother didnt do what he said. She pleaded with him and he drug her out of the room where he tied her up and beat her to a pulp. Then raped her...during this I called my dad...my dad made me memorize his # @ work. He was the night manager at the A&P that was about 3 blocks away. I told him a man was in the house and he hit my mom. My dad was home in an instant...he snuck upstairs and busted in room. The man was shot and thrown thru a second story window to land on the driveway. When the police arrived he was still alive unfortunately...The only mistake my dad made that night was that he didnt shoot him again. I have no sympathy for anyone that enters a home uninvited. Does the punishment fit that crime...no because you cannot give back what that man took from my family that night...to this day 33yrs later I would put a bullet in him and not blink an eye about it...do I have issues...my psychologist says so Granted my history has shaped what I believe BUT in our country where criminals have rights to bring a civil suit against someone that shot them during a crime is just plain moronic. You have a stand up guy trying to do the right thing and getting raked over the coals for it. His judgement may have been a little off but you cannot say what you would do in a situation where you begin to feel threatened. I wanna give him a hug because he didn't roll over and let them bully him into letting them go. He stuck to his guns..
Most people would have ignored it or just called to police because they were afraid. This guy made the choice to get involved...I wish my neighbors were like this guy...I would still have my mountian bike.

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join