It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does Bigfoot stay hidden?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
You know, in all the native American accounts of BF that I can remember reading about regarding BF, I have yet to come across any that saw BF as a friendly creature. The funny thing is that almost all of the white man (just using white as I believe them to be predominant in sightings aside form Indians) accounts view BF as a gentile creature. I mean, yea most were scared out of their minds but 99.9% were not confrontational, violent or otherwise threatening. Of course there are exceptions on both sides but I'm speaking on the predominance of historical as well as current accounts.

Just a bit strange that the NA's view BF with fear and loathing and the WM views BF with fascination and thoughts of a gentile giant. Makes you wonder if maybe BF used to be a violent killer of NA's and eventually became more passive, who knows? That theory doesn't make much sense but I'm a bit stumped otherwise.

As for the population question (I talked about it in another thread), I can't see BF maintaining a healthy, vibrant population and IMO they will eventually become extinct.

By the way, I leaning about 75% sure that BF exists.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jbondo

Gorillas were thought by natives of Africa to be violent and ferocious as well. It's probably a natural human reaction to label the unknown as dangerous, or make up some other fantastic stories. It wasn't until scientists studied them and watched their behaviors that this myth was disproven.

Here's a link to some legends about Gorillas:

books.google.com... 50,M1
(Go to page 49-51)

[edit on 30-11-2007 by CloudlessKnight]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
BigFoot stays hidden by wearing BigShoes

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
You know, in all the native American accounts of BF that I can remember reading about regarding BF, I have yet to come across any that saw BF as a friendly creature. The funny thing is that almost all of the white man (just using white as I believe them to be predominant in sightings aside form Indians) accounts view BF as a gentile creature. I mean, yea most were scared out of their minds but 99.9% were not confrontational, violent or otherwise threatening. Of course there are exceptions on both sides but I'm speaking on the predominance of historical as well as current accounts.

Just a bit strange that the NA's view BF with fear and loathing and the WM views BF with fascination and thoughts of a gentile giant. Makes you wonder if maybe BF used to be a violent killer of NA's and eventually became more passive, who knows? That theory doesn't make much sense but I'm a bit stumped otherwise.

As for the population question (I talked about it in another thread), I can't see BF maintaining a healthy, vibrant population and IMO they will eventually become extinct.

By the way, I leaning about 75% sure that BF exists.

I like to think that Natives had a natural respect for Sasquatch, as they do the bears. You simply don't mess with Grizzlies, in the same sense that you wouldn't want to run into a Sasquatch in the wilderness. You are completely helpless to wild animals that size, hell, even a Moose is a deadly dangerous animal if angered.

Bigfeet are ridiculously powerful (supposedly) compared to any wild animal we know of roaming the woods. At the largest sizes reported (10+ feet in height) they could scare off even large Grizzlies.

So in that regard, we don't need to imagine Bigfoot as a violent predator to mankind to understand why people are supposed to be afraid of them. I have spent many years in the mountains and I told my dad about finding footprints in the winter snow not far from my house on the foothills. He told me to stop going out on my own and into areas that I shouldn't.

This idea of avoiding certain areas of the wilderness seems to be passed on to people who live near mountains etc. and I wonder sometimes if it's not just Grizzly bears but spooky/scary things like monsters and Sasquatch. There's no shortage of monster stories.

[edit on 1-12-2007 by NewWorldOver]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by CloudlessKnight

True on the snakes and yeah, I was just free-balling on the theories. My point was that if other creatures have capabilities, then it's not impossible, somehow - just brain-storming.

As to the ubiquity of masks and costumes and ghillie suits, here's one that's funny:

Manitoba Bigfoot?

Simply put, people love to fool other people. It's not beyond the realm for someone to put on a costume and hang out near a road and see if they get any reactions. Then they might even scan the 'net or the newspapers and see if anyone reported it.

The suit or mask (as per that link) doesn't even have to be a full costume or even that close. It just has to appear big, or hairy, and it doesn't have to fool everyone. With the 'Net, it's probably easier for the hoaxers to find a payoff. (shrug).

Put on a cheap ghillie suit, make a stop sign that's 4 feet tall. Stand next to the stop sign. From a distance a 6 foot person appears to be 8-9 feet tall.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
BigFoot stays hidden by wearing BigShoes

ahahahahahaha

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Just to post my 2 cents on this issue. I've always believed that Bigfoot existed, and living in the Cascades as I do, it is relatively easy to see how any creature, including a Bigfoot, could disappear here. The terrain is rugged, difficult to hike at best, and sparsely populated. The Wonderland Trail that circles Mt Rainier is considered to be among the most difficult in the world. The Pacific Crest Trail also goes through there, and is also a difficult trail to navigate through that area.

Between early and late season snowstorms, glacial till, volcanic activity, among other natural phenomena, the whole Cascades chain is one rugged, remote area. Trails through the area are limited, steep and difficult on a good day. They are often only open a limited time, usually mid to late June, through late September. That leaves only a very limited window to "Bigfoot search" in. It makes the perfect hiding spot for such a species, if it indeed does exist. And why should we doubt it does? New species are being discovered every day.

I would think that the White Mountains of the Northeast would also make a great hiding area for them, or certain areas of the Appalacians, perhaps. Given the human species' record for violence and such, would you break cover and allow us to discover you willingly? Probably not. If they have been here awhile, I'm certain they have become rather wise to our ways by now.

Have a good weekend all, and play nice!
Peace!
KarmaGurl

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Good point on the remoteness aspect.

But consider that a very large hominid is not likely to find extremely rugged, remote, mountainous locations a good niche, right?

They'd certainly be a lot more adapted to outdoors than people, but would still need to be able to find food, shelter, water, and a place to sleep.

In the same way, mountain goats and certain cats are able to live in almost vertical terrain, but bears and other large animals just are not built for it.

Same thing for swamps. Though the BF could traverse the swampy area, and live off of the land, they couldn't camp and sleep in the middle of a swamp-lake. They'd have to go to a tree nest, or find dry land, I'd think.

So, yeah, remote in terms of inaccessible to most humans who need their wheels and portable food and water, but not so inaccessible that it's devoid of the bare necessities. Even the alleged Yeti would have to find a snow cave.

Just a thought.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Note: Given the topic, I am assuming Yeti, if existant, to be related to Bigfoot.

I wonder if a Yeti, if insulated like a polar bear, doesn't just curl up in the snow and fall asleep. Apparently polar bears do just that: dig a shallow pit in the snow and sleep with their backs to the wind. They let the snow cover them like a blanket. Gorillas and other apes nest on the ground as well as the trees, so I would think a Bigfoot might. If a Yeti were to nest on the ground like a gorilla, it might do it just like a polar bear, since trees are not abundant throughout all of the Himalayas.

What is remote to one creature isn't necessarily remote to another.

Also, just another thought that floats around the ghillie suit concept a little: perhaps Bigfoot's hair, or more likely a Yeti's hair, changes color with the seasons the way an arctic fox's hair changes. An arctic fox stays white during the winter seasons, then brown in the summer, to match the landscape. They even have an intermediate stage, when they're shedding, that is white and brown, which mirrors perfectly the melting snow.

Arctic Fox pictures:

Arctic Fox (White) - www.greglasley.net...
Arctic Fox (Shedding) - www1.istockphoto.com...
Arctic Fox (Brown) - www.hi.is...

References:

www.polarbearsinternational.org...
www.berggorilla.de...
www.enchantedlearning.com...

[edit on 1-12-2007 by CloudlessKnight]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

LOLOLOL That's hilarious! You totally got me man. I of COURSE spotted the hunters but damn I totally missed the big-foot.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I actually did a report on Bigfoot last year. Some of the research I did was surprising: there is over half a million square miles of uninhabited (by humans) heavily forested land in Canada. Thats more than enough area for just about anything to live without us knowing.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Bigfoot is able to stay hidden because it has the ability to be invisible.

Perhaps thats his natural state. Maybe he only becomes visible on certain occasions. Thats why they don't find his bones, etc. Only the footprints are visible.

Thats my story and I'm sticking too it.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The invisibility theory and reputation/lore about the animal go along with the Native American belief that they are extra-dimensional. They tune in and tune out of our physical reality at will,

but honestly : this stretches the notion that Bigfoot is a physical, living, breathing creature and causes people to consider the whole thing a fairy tale. I like to think that Bigfoot has a completely natural ability to blend into his surroundings, and that he is not stepping between dimensions. If he had that natural ability, science would have a terribly hard time accepting/explaining it.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Maybe BigFoot stays hidden so well because he doesn't exist. Or MAYBE he's hiding with Osama Bin Laden since that seems to be the only other bieng in the world we can't catch. Maybe they have tea parties in Afghansitan. Hell, they may even sleep over at each others undisclosed hidden locations. One things for sure. If I was a bigfoot, I would not be scared of humans. I would smash them with my BigFeet.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Nice story, well-written. Luv reading those kinds of things.

Have you ever thought for a second what kind of force would be required to tear up a fifty foot tall tree, completely free of the ground and throw it 15 feet, rootball and all?

Was your impression it was the standard Giganto/BF size of 7-8 feet tall?

Not trying to debunk, just puzzled on the facts.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I was wondering?If bigfoot exists then how come no dead bodies have shown up?Wouldnt they die from old age or natural causes?There should be big foot bodies lying around or big foot skeletons.

[edit on 4-12-2007 by michaelhunter]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

You have a valid point.
Truthfully I don't know if it was bigfoot. I only know what happened.

We didn't have a TV back then, so I'm not sure I knew what a bigfoot was. I think I only began to wonder about that later in life, and the article of the sighting in the same areal probably helped reinforced the idea.

Perhaps giving it an earthly explanation was the only way my mind could tolerate thinking about it. If it was not bigfoot, then I shudder to think what it was.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 03:41 AM
link   
A Bigfoot Shooting: 1/14
www.youtube.com...

In a rebroadcast from June 5, 2001, Art Bell interviewed veteran Bigfoot researcher Robert W. Morgan. In the first half of the show, the two are joined by a hunter identified under the name "Bugs" who recounted his experience shooting two Bigfoot over 30 years ago in Texas. Bugs, along with two other hunters, encountered two 7-8 ft. tall creatures, covered in reddish brown hair, that they shot at numerous times, thinking they were bears. After the creatures were killed they discovered they had shot one female and one male. I had "never seen nothing on this Earth that looked like them," said Bugs, who described the pair as being a cross between human and ape. Not wanting to be held responsible for the shootings, the hunters decided to cover-up the incident by burying the creatures.

"Everything I've heard Bugs say has the ring of truth, " said Morgan who offered further analysis of the creatures: Bigfoot are intelligent, sometimes leave "gifts" such as turkey feathers for humans and their species could considered as the ancestor of homo sapiens.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jbondo

I think their attitude towards the big fella was more one of caution than fear. They knew/know he can be fearsome, so treated him with the respect due a dangerous creature. It's the same respect you and I would show a bear or big cat, IMHO.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by michaelhunter
I was wondering?If bigfoot exists then how come no dead bodies have shown up?Wouldnt they die from old age or natural causes?There should be big foot bodies lying around or big foot skeletons.

Nothing personal Michael but it get tiresome answering this question over and over again.

Do a search up there in the right hand corner and I'm sure you will have every question you could ever think of answered via the numerous threads on BF. If you RMPL it's amazing how much time you can save.

As for the "gentlemen" that claim they shot a pair of BF, if they are being truthful (which I doubt) I think they should be shot themselves. I've read that story before and find no good reason (assuming it's true) for them to kill these animals.

Regarding fear, of course I think of fear when considering encounter but I guess it just perplexed me that someone would react in such a manner when they are inside a moving vehicle. Then again, as I've said before, I'd probably pee my pants.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join