It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well I did it... bought myself a Bible

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:27 AM
link   
ok so here is the short of it. About 6 months ago, due to my NDE, OBEs and other experiences I threw out my Bible. It was a family heirloom. You just can't buy one like it anymore.

The moment I threw it out, I was panged with guilt...firstly cos its a Holy book and second it had been in my family for generations.

Today, I bought another one. It cost me $160.00 AU =

but, I actually feel better to have a Bible again. Perhaps it is cos I am so used to having one.

I also decided that some of the things that I don't like to read in it, I have perhaps taken out of context or I was not retrospective. Some of the stuff in there is recounting ancient times and so, does not sit well in contemporary times.

[edit on 28-11-2007 by Thurisaz]

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

You threw away your family Bible?! Man I would of just put it away in storage! Good to hear you bought a new one though, good for you!

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   
thanks!

I have just been reading it and I have to concede that it is better than the KJV I had. It is still KJV but it is annotated and the 2 extra columns with extra information and explanations is exceptional!!

The DAKE Annotated Reference Bible KJV Red Letter Edition.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   
NDE's and OBE's are entirely natural and can be explained by science. There's no need to revert to a foolish religion just because your mind produced an illusion.

Please don't follow the ignorant, intolerant and down right evil ramblings that make up the majority of the Bible.

[edit on 28-11-2007 by SilentGem]

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentGem
There's no need to revert to a foolish religion just because your mind produced an illusion.

ok, thanks for your opinion.

Please don't follow the ignorant, intolerant and down right evil ramblings that make up the majority of the Bible.

Well, I can definitely understand where you are coming from because that is why I threw it out but I have gone back to it and am looking at things quite differently:

for eg:
I used to be disgusted about Lot and his two frisky daughters but reading it again, no where in the bible does it actually advocate what happened, it recounts the incident and then I compared Abraham and Sarah and considered that Lot's Daughter's decided for themselves what they would do.

Either way, I am enjoying reading it and I do feel it is beneficial for me.

cheers

[edit on 28-11-2007 by Thurisaz]

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Do you believe it is beneficial to you because it is historical, accurate and true? Or beneficial in the same way that reading Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter is beneficial for the entertainment value (in addition to other benefits of reading good English)?

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   
If you really need an annotated Bible, make sure that you also read through one that does not already assume the contents of the Bible is automatically true:

skepticsannotatedbible.com...

Please review both annotated sources and don't loose perspective!

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz

I also decided that some of the things that I don't like to read in it, I have perhaps taken out of context or I was not retrospective. Some of the stuff in there is recounting ancient times and so, does not sit well in contemporary times.

That's good you have bought a new Bible. Yep, you can't just read the bible in a modern kind of thinking, you have to put yourself in their culture and in their time as well. You also need to put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself what could you have done in such situation. You also need to know their emotions, are they happy, scared, overjoyed, victorious, angry, jealous, confused, stressed out, etc.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
My mom bought me a bible and when I was around 20, I used to read it and it went right over my head. I stopped short of ridiculing it,
After I asked Jesus to come into my heart for the first time, I understood it when I read it!!!!

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
you know, i had felt guilty about throwing out my first bible until i realized that it was just the nonsensical writings of ignorant bronze and iron age men.
then it didn't feel that bad

oh, and nice referral there, gem.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
ok so here is the short of it. About 6 months ago, due to my NDE, OBEs and other experiences I threw out my Bible. It was a family heirloom. You just can't buy one like it anymore.

The moment I threw it out, I was panged with guilt...firstly cos its a Holy book and second it had been in my family for generations.

Today, I bought another one. It cost me $160.00 AU =

but, I actually feel better to have a Bible again. Perhaps it is cos I am so used to having one.

I'm sorry to say, but, you bought a Bible for all the wrong reasons
. You could've downloaded E-Sword for free and chose the translation of your choice, and have the Bible on click, way better. But I have a pair of paper Bibles, I still use one of them, but not much.

And did you spend $160 AU to make yourself feel better about it being worthy of replacing the family heirloom? heheh. dont guilt yourself over the heirloom; 99% of them never make it anyways. I was supposed to receive an heirloom U.S. Revolutionary War Musket from my Father, but when I was a very young child, he sold it for money to buy what my Mother said was "beer". Looking back, thats a heck of a lot of beer, he must've bought drugs with it.

But you know, I dont sit around and feel bad about it, I cant change it. And he is now passed away, but he didn't sit around beating himself up about it.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   

This is my Bible. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My Bible is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master

my life.

My Bible, without me, is useless. Without my Bible, I am useless. I must use

my Bible true.

My Bible is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother.

I will learn its chapters, its verses, its knowledge, its wisdom, its truth, its

faithfulness, its love and compassion.

I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will

ever guard my mind, my body, my spirit and my heart against damage.

I will keep my Bible clean and ready. We will become part of each other.

My Bible and myself are the defenders of my faith in God.

We are the masters of our enemy and God is the savior of my life.

So be it, until victory is the Lord's and there will be no more enemy, but peace,

happiness and joy!

[edit on 28-11-2007 by amitheone]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Did your Bible have the birth, marriage and death dates of your family in the front? Many family Bibles do. You can always get another Bible, but the records of several generations are more difficult to replace.

Still, don't beat yourself up over it. I have thrown away things I wish I hadn't, too. Ask another family member if they have records of your geneology. I hope you enjoy your new Bible. I don't think all of it can be taken literally, but I'm glad I have mine.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
you know, i had felt guilty about throwing out my first bible until i realized that it was just the nonsensical writings of ignorant bronze and iron age men.
then it didn't feel that bad

oh, and nice referral there, gem.

You felt guilty because what you did was wrong- If it wasn't wrong or there was no God you wouldn't have felt that way. And you think the Bible is utter nonsense thats the devil talking to you.

Thurisaz I wish you didn't throw the Family Bible out- but if was old and beyond repair then I would understand.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
yikes, I hope you got the Companion's Bible, and not KJ. It's like comparing War and Peace to Cliff Notes.

On a side note, I never felt bad about throwing a bible out, burning it or using my favorite Proverbs for rolling joints. In fact, the latter usually makes me feel better.

[edit on 29-11-2007 by scientist]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Do you believe it is beneficial to you because it is historical, accurate and true?

That is a hard question to answer. This new Bible with the annotation is amazing. Provides historical timelines/logical hypothesis etc. Provides greater explanations. I am just reading notes on Genesis and Evolution.

Eg: Even with Chpt 1:1 of Genesis there has 4 reference notes. Really is exceptional. "The Creative Ages: Original creation made perfect and inhabited. The world that then was"

From that verse the notes suggest:
(have only included two of them as the others are translations of a word)

b. from the dateless past to the end of the 7 days called the Ante-chaotic Age - The Dispensation of Angels, because angels ruled various planets (Isa. 14:12-14; Ezek. 28:11-17; Col. 1:15-17)

d. "The world (Gr. kosmos, social system) that then was" which embraces the whole pre-Adamite universe, to which all fossils and remains belong.

Or beneficial in the same way that reading Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter is beneficial for the entertainment value (in addition to other benefits of reading good English)?

Well, I am not a fan of Harry Potter, but love Anne Rice books.
So for enjoyment I do have select authors.

The Bible on the other hand is thought provoking and I do refer to it to learn from. Some of the parables I feel are helpful.

cheers

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   

If you really need an annotated Bible, make sure that you also read through one that does not already assume the contents of the Bible is automatically true:

skepticsannotatedbible.com...

Please review both annotated sources and don't loose perspective!

Hi, if you look at my profile I actually have the skepticsannotatedbible on the list of sites I do visit.

It is another perspective. But, I do feel at times for eg with Lot and his Daughters, the skeptics highlight incest etc. When I first read it I too was disgusted but as I stated before, I since read it again and it occurred to me the recount did include a God told them to do it.

So, now I am really focusing on the recounts and looking at it differently. And may I say, definitely not with rose coloured glasses.

cheers
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by scientist
I hope you got the Companion's Bible, and not KJ. It's like comparing War and Peace to Cliff Notes.

No, I got the DAKE KJV... feels like I am reading one of my law books!
The only thing I am not pleased with is it is in very small print. I do a lot of reading so it is quite a strain on the eyes.

Originally posted by runetang
You could've downloaded E-Sword for free and chose the translation of your choice, and have the Bible on click, way better.

Yes I did source the online versions but I do prefer to have a bound copy.

dont guilt yourself over the heirloom; 99% of them never make it anyways.

Oh I am over the guilt but it was special. I haven't told my Mum as yet, but will do when the timing is right.

I was supposed to receive an heirloom U.S. Revolutionary War Musket from my Father, but when I was a very young child, he sold it for money to buy what my Mother said was "beer". Looking back, thats a heck of a lot of beer, he must've bought drugs with it.

Hmm well that is a shame but then I am now thinking that if I had not of chucked it out, I would never have gone and bought another one. The one I have now is so much better. Perhaps there is an up side to everything!

[edit on 29-11-2007 by Thurisaz]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Yes, it had the family records in it.

I will have to speak to my Cousin as she has kept up with all the family tree. I won't tell my Mum until I have the records complete written down somewhere else.

Thanks to everyone for their responses and opinions.

cheers

[edit on 29-11-2007 by Thurisaz]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leyla
You felt guilty because what you did was wrong- If it wasn't wrong or there was no God you wouldn't have felt that way.

no, i actually kind of felt bad because i didn't personally own the bible i threw out... but my parents didn't bother to read it and i already had gone through reading it my second time.

And you think the Bible is utter nonsense thats the devil talking to you.

didn't say it was utter nonsense, i said it's nonsensical. there's a subtle difference.

...and tis not the devil talking to me, it's called reason and logic.
any book that praises genocide is nonsensical.
any book that supports the oppression of women is nonsensical
any book that contradicts reason and logic in any other way is nonsensical.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Your first mistake was buying it. Faith is faith, and the bible was never meant to be bought or sold regardless of when or how it was made. Seeing this kind of rationale really bums me out and I'm not even religious.

Bought a bible. Who'd of thought...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join