It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well I did it... bought myself a Bible

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
Your first mistake was buying it. Faith is faith, and the bible was never meant to be bought or sold regardless of when or how it was made. Seeing this kind of rationale really bums me out and I'm not even religious.

I really don't get your point here. Are you bummed out because I bought a bible?

Are you suggesting owning or reading a bible is against faith?

I don't see how...

cheers

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

i believe the point is that the bible shouldn't be something purchased but available for free.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Almost ANY church will give you a bible for free.
No strings attached!

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

yeah... that's the thing about propaganda, it's always available for free somewhere.......

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
good for you thurisaz. i have several versions of the bible and refer to all of them when studying some obscure point. the bible is not just a book for mental exercise (although there's plenty of that-"study to show yourself approved"), but a light for your soul, a refreshing drink of water to your parched emotions.

i commend your courage in coming on a primarily atheistic site and admitting to buying a bible. you'll get flak for that but you'll always get flak from somebody for something; it might as well be for something you enjoy.

i've found it helpful to pray while i read. a lot of things become more clear (or are seen from a different perspective) if the bible is not just read like a disjointed novel.

cheers and all the best to you.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

This site is free, MIMS, and all the information on it including your opinions. Are you suggesting that the information on this site is propaganda? Are you confessing that your posts/opinions/offerings are propaganda?

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

...this would be the most backwards propaganda effort every made. propaganda doesn't include a counterpoint...
so no, my opinions aren't propaganda on here because the counterpoint is provided alongside them quite readily by the same free service...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

This site is free, MIMS, and all the information on it including your opinions. Are you suggesting that the information on this site is propaganda? Are you confessing that your posts/opinions/offerings are propaganda?

Must make haste to shove off again but want to lend support to Whitewaves position.

Good for you Thurisaz that you bought yourself a bible. Read it and muse on it in good conscience. Dont let the negativity of others affect you here. It is textbook of the fingerprint of this world and the god of this world.

Also agree with Whitewave here on Prayer. (goodness me..I'm actually agreeing with Whitewave..I'll have to watch myself here carefully) Also about the Bible not being a disjointed novel.

Intresting about the free propaganda angle. Very intresting. Is not that what is or amounts to Public Education today?? How about television programming?? This is what makes it so intresting ..the fingerprint of what people think free actually is?? Freedom from religion...is that too..propaganda?? It's free!!

...this would be the most backwards propaganda effort every made. propaganda doesn't include a counterpoint...
so no, my opinions aren't propaganda on here because the counterpoint is provided alongside them quite readily by the same free service...

Default setting to play through unaccountably..unquestioned. I agree with Whitewaves position here. The counterpoint here is to offer up Salt if necessary.

Be very careful what one thinks is propaganda. It is all around us in many of the most reasonable, logical, and most beautifully decorated/presented formats.

Thurisaz....go ahead and read your bible. Congratulations.

Whitewave...you go girl!!

Oh ..and Thurisaz...agree with you on your OP. Family bibles were the original source of Family arrangements/historys..before public records. Births, marriages, deaths ..adoptions etc etc were recorded in family bibles. It is a good idea to keep one around and not necessarily depend on public records. Two places in history where such records were kept before the advent of public records...in church records and family bibles. This is not much taught in public schools.

Gotta shove off now..it will be a long night tonight.
Orangetom

[edit on 4-12-2007 by orangetom1999]

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Hi again, I bumped this one rather than starting another thread:

Seems that the new Bible I bought is considered less than other Bibles

I just don't get it?

Walk into a Christian Bookstore and buy the one I have because the lady said, oh yeah this one is the best... so??

I refer to the Dake Annotated and Referenced Bible KJV

So, this is all new to me. Yanno?

Either way, I feel the lady in the shop that recommended it did me a favour, I feel it is better than my old one, so perhaps all that matters here is how I feel about it?

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

The Dake KJV Bible is a fantastic Bible and has been my Bible of choice for almost 20 years now. His cross-references are fantastic. I do not agree with every one of his comments, though. However, I'm not required to believe his comments. They can be quite helpful, though.

If you are looking for another version, consider the "Darby" translation. I have a parallel version of the Darby and KJV and find it quite helpful for difficult wordings in the KJV. The only thing I don't like about that Bible is the print is even smaller than the Dake.

Dake was a brilliant man and it is rumored that you could speak 3 words from any verse in the KJV, and he would know the verse and the reference.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

...i'm not spewing propaganda. propaganda doesn't encourage people to look at the viewpoints opposing it...which is kind of what i tend to do

the simple fact is that propaganda is about intention
the intention of a church giving someone a bible is inherently about converting them to the religion, thus the purpose is one of propaganda.

freedom from religion isn't propaganda, it's about making sure we're all equally protected under the law.

anyway, can i make some reading suggestions?

an annotated Koran
Asimov's Guide to the Bible
Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why
The God Delusion
God is not Great
God: The Failed Hypothesis. How Science Shows That God Does Not Exist
Breaking the Spell: Relgion as a Natural Phenomen
The Bhagavad Gita
the Tao Te Ching
and any book of mythology you can get your hands on

new topics

top topics