It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird skull like thing near Opportunity

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by blobby
very interesting WHY HAVE NASA not said anything about this?

BRING IT TO the Television NEWS attention plz needmore public news on thesepictures then more truth from nasa will flow.

The public cannot handle the truth! If NASA and the governemnt doesn't want it to be announced or found, they will surely find a way to "cover it up."

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
i hadn't even considered this yet. it does appear that the rover has driven over the object.is this accurate?

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
One view is that the Rover drove off the ramp straight to the spot where it was, then drove to the position it's now in. This could explain the tracks as they arrear.

It does look like it stopped and did some manuevering, then carried on.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Didn't Spirit make a similar type manuever once it was free of the lander? I think its pure conjecture to say we "ran over alien life." But who knows...

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zzub
One view is that the Rover drove off the ramp straight to the spot where it was, then drove to the position it's now in. This could explain the tracks as they arrear.

Firstly, yes spirit did the same thing to make sure its driving controls were working after landing. The opportunity maneouvre was also mentioned on the jpl website before it was carried out if I remember correctly.

As far as running over an object, it would have shown in the Front hazcam images if it were immediately in front of the rover.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
wait a minute. i dont know why i didnt realize this at first, but how could the rover have ran over something thats no longer there. i wonder if they will try to dig down to see if it burrowed under the sand. if not under the sand, id imagine we could see it with the next panoramics, as wind shouldn't be able to blow it out of a crater. that is unless it crawled off

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
kano, i noticed you hadn't commented in the forum on the ufo above the martian horizon on sol33. i was wondering what you thought of these.

nasa's pic

coast to coast am pic

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by dunkleskates
kano, i noticed you hadn't commented in the forum on the ufo above the martian horizon on sol33. i was wondering what you thought of these.

Look at the surrounding parts of the image, all of those areas have the same shaped artifacts of the jpeg compression. One bad pixel that people have (again) made the mistake of assuming they can use some image software to zoom and zoom and get the original shape. Made even more foolish by the fact that the original image we are working with is a jpeg.

jra

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
As Kano said previously. Those manuvers were to test to make sure it's driving functions were working. It was briefly mentioned on this site. (which in my opinion is the best site for news of the rovers) spaceflightnow.com...

From the site:

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2004
Opportunity completed an 11-foot drive early Thursday, moving from its initial parking spot reached after leaving the lander last weekend toward the rock outcrop in the wall of the crater the rover landed in. It will continue the drive to the exposed bedrock early Friday.

An image from the rover showing its tracks in the soil is available here. The rover made two arcs to the right, then one arc to the left, then a 30-degree turn in place, then a straight-ahead drive.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condorcet

nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...

I was itting trying to find the object you were talking about when I realised some strange inconsistencies. Have they tried to hide something here? Watch the cut corners.....

Blessings,
Mikromarius

[Edited on 8-2-2004 by Hamilton]

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
YEAH! Then we could sell t-shirts like this!

I somehow come to think about that Friends episode when everyone gets the crabs from a dirty blanket they all sit on. Fun episode.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hamilton

Originally posted by Condorcet

nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...

I was itting trying to find the object you were talking about when I realised some strange inconsistencies. Have they tried to hide something here? Watch the cut corners.....

Its a mosaic, like all of the panorama images from the current missions.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:10 AM
link   
ok, but what has this pic have to do with the above??
just curious?
www.freepressinternational.com...

As for the discussion about life 'running' in different courses:

no-oxygen:
www.bbc.co.uk...
sulphur-mars
www.lpi.usra.edu...
short-period adaptation to sulphur breathing by multicellular life-forms
www.ncf.carleton.ca...

While in my opinion it is far too early to claim this 'horned' object as life, I still think to exclude it as a possibility is not so wise. What I do find a pity is that the first picture was quite clear, although it would be nice to have a better color picture of it, a lot of folks now come up with the smallest of things and pixels which is a pity because it waters down the genuine discussion about something which was clearly there at one moment and now it's gone.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stefan
ok, but what has this pic have to do with the above??
just curious?
www.freepressinternational.com...

The rover has nothing to pick up objects with. It has magnets to collect airborne dust, thats it.

I absolutely agree that we cannot exclude the possibility of anything we see being life. There is however a great many challenges. Any life we discover will have to be greater polyextremophiles than any we have on Earth. So its unlikely the first evidence of life we see would be something wandering across in front of the Rover.

By the way that BBC program synopsis was a little misleading, the creatures and ecosystem it refers to in the Cueva de Villa Luz are acidophiles and rely on Sulphur for energy instead of photosynthesis, they are not anaerobic. The next paragraph goes on to talk about extremeophiles and the many different forms they can take, its not referring to the Cueva de Villa Luz caves anymore.

Another good article about extremophiles and their various forms can be found here:
www.spaceref.com...
Part 2:
www.spaceref.com...

It is truly amazing to see some of the environments life has adapted itself to. Even humans get a mention for being psychrophiles (able to withstand extreme cold). Though we do cheat a little.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The rover did not run over the "object" because it was no longer there. They tried to get Microscopic samples from the area and whether or not they found any thing we will probably never know.

Unless we can spot a simialr object in new photos, or the rover gets suddenly "attacked" we will probably never be told the truth.

There is very little coverage of this sighting on the net. An obviouse attempt by the goverment to "cut down" the chatter about this "object".

Your theories about the wind blowing it away are not grounded in any logic as frames still show the bag marks, track marks etc, some 19 days after landing.

As the "object" had spike like protusions for "legs" I would suspect that it would only leave behind a faint "trail" or puncture holes in the surface layer of the sand, which would quickly fill by the surrounding media.

Maybe NASA is surpressing the close up photos of the area because they might reveal minute traces of a trail or that an object moved through that area.

Without people like me making wild claims and asking people to really look at the photographic evidence I feel that a huge scientific discovery will "disappear" from the public awareness.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 05:06 AM
link   
The horned thingy is back..sitting at the bottom of the picture pretending to be a rock.

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
From the original Pan picture of SOL 2 the "horned object" is much larger. It is quite visable from a distance in comparison to the edge of the bed rock formation.

That link is not the "horned object" although it is an interesting rock fragement. It neither has the color nor the size and shape of the "horned object"

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
most likely a joke. thus these things:

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
hello

any new news about it??????????????????????

did some one took the pic true a special program too clear it out some more

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join