It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When traveling in space, how should a Muslim pray?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I've been to North Africa a few times and brought back a few of these little carpets they use to pray. If I remember correctly, a Muslim must pray in the direction of Mecca... Is that correct? If so, what happens when Muslims settle on Mars (just as an example). How to position the rug? I'm sure it's not difficult to calculate the position of Mecca in the martian sky, but it must be awkward to pray at an odd angle to the horizontal. Please advise.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Is this a joke? I don't even know how to approach this seriously.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Its a good question though!! some believe god is everywhere in everything!

Yet one prays in a direction....is there an east in the universe a north?does god whatever only have influence over earth? or do they know somethings other faiths don't...maybe some religions are man made? maybe some its a consciousness...good question!

a question that poses many questions I think!

Then again I know Santa doesn't come from the north pole !!lol

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by vannein

Here's an article on what the Malaysian government's Department of Islamic Development has come up with:

Malaysia sets flexible religious rules for Muslims in space

Some highlights that answer your questions --

Facing Mecca to pray is encouraged, but facing the Earth or any direction will still do.

[...]

For physical postures during prayer, any standing posture will suffice if upright standing is impossible. If not, the astronaut can sit, lie flat or simply imagine the prayer sequence.

The same rules also seem to apply for long-haul flights on Earth, with the difference that you don't have to be standing; you can remain in a seated position. Also, the rug isn't compulsory. Recommended but not a requirement.

Edit: paragraph structure

[edit on 18-11-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Seems like there is a universal god ...that sort resides everywhere ...and one that is earth bound to the human beings...one worships a small part of the universe and one worships the whole!! ..

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Beachcoma,

thanks much for the informative post! I wish more of the threads contained such concrete, factual answers... To even unlikely questions!

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by shuck
maybe some religions are man made? maybe some its a consciousness.

You just answered your own question.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by vannein

Beachcoma,

I wish more of the threads contained such concrete, factual answers... To even unlikely questions!

yep, it was an informative post..

but just temporary travel, whether it is in space or 30,000 feet up in a jumbo jet, is not the larger issue....

what about a moon or Mars colony ?
what are followers of Islam to do?

here's a possibility,

the Clerics would allow an off Earth 'Kabba' to be erected
and in it will be One of the pieces of the broken 'Black Stone'
known reverently as 'al-Hajar-ul-Aswad.

that Black Stone located in Mecca is what is honored...
not the direction of 'East' nor the city of Mecca.

so with a permanent colony on another world there will need to be
a pilgrimage site on that planet or moon

see: en.wikipedia.org...
for a image of the black_stone mounted in a silver setting,

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

"what about a moon or Mars colony ?"

I believe that has been answered in my previous post. No need to build another Kaaba off-planet. Face Earth or any direction, it is all fine. Probably better to face Earth if possible.

"so with a permanent colony on another world there will need to be
a pilgrimage site on that planet or moon "

I don't think so. Make the pilgrimage to Earth if you can afford it. No worries if you can't. Same as it is for the pilgrimage to Makkah for those of us on Earth.

To be frank, these aren't new rules -- they were derived from existing fardhu ain (basic Islamic knowledge) rules.

The trickier question would be prayer times on the Moon, in my opinion. On the Moon I would venture a guess that the times will follow Makkah time on Earth. But I can't say that with any certainty here. It's easier to calculate for Mars, since the rotation is almost the same as Earth.

top topics

join