It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians in Jerusalem want Jews to stop spitting on them

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Christians in Jerusalem want Jews to stop spitting on them

www.haaretz.c om

"When there is an attack against Jews anywhere in the world, the Israeli government is incensed, so why when our religion and pride are hurt, don't they take harsher measures?" he asks.

According to Daniel Rossing, former adviser to the Religious Affairs Ministry on Christian affairs and director of a Jerusalem center for Christian-Jewish dialogue, there has been an increase in the number of such incidents recently, "as part of a general atmosphere of lack of tolerance in the country."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Something about this story just seems a bit ironic to me.

Being a very open atheist, I have had my share of spit in my direction in the last several years. That's why I quit attending church with my friends that were christians.

I find it strange that religious groups always seem to be at such odds with one another.

You would think that a solid belief in god would be enough to help them overcome their differences and form a solid unity.

Jasn

www.haaretz.c om
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SimiusDei

I wouldn't act so high and mighty up there on your high horse. Religion isn't the cause of intolerance and violence, it is something that is in human nature. If there wasn't any religion in the world people would still find a reason to fight with each other.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Religions themselves seperate man. The truth is love, Jesus was ultimate love. We wage the war of ideas instead of seeing ourselves in every human being and, all being equal, proceed into peace. The mind itself prevents man from doing these things. It's main desire is to gather, instead of release.

Edit: The point being, we create our desires, which are apart from our needs. For example. We need food, apart from the need for food, we desire a type of food. Wanting steak isn't bad or anything, just that model can be applied to many things.

[edit on 15-11-2007 by depth om]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by metro
If there wasn't any religion in the world people would still find a reason to fight with each other.

perhaps, but religion gives them yet another meaningless reason to fight.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by metro

High and mighty up on my high horse?

What lead you to that conclusion?

I have always made a point to defend peoples' right to their religious beliefs. (check any of my former posts on the subject) I was simply stating a FACT. Religious groups do indeed seem to be at each others' throats for some reason or other quite often.

Do you not agree with my thinking that a belief in the same god SHOULD bring them together instead of pushing them apart?

jasn

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Do you not agree with my thinking that a belief in the same god SHOULD bring them together instead of pushing them apart?

I'll take a stab at that one....

Simius, I have always found you very tolerant and even understanding in your approach... (Just throwing that out)

As for the question...

1. Pride
2. Envy
3. Greed
4. Lust
5 CONCEIT
etc...

All very human emotions and if honest, we would all admit to feeling each and everyone in our lives at one time or another..

Human Emotions..... Undeniable and unavoidable.....

We all want to believe, and make others believe that OUR faith, our belief is the correct one and that everyone else is being foolish, sacrilegious and or "evil."

So, experiencing our "deadly sins" and armed with the knowledge that "our" faith, our belief is the "One True" faith, we set out to "save" the rest of the world... Whether they want it or not....

Perhaps the human sin of "Conceit" is the most damaging of all being at the heart of what we are discussing...

As long as humans feel these emotions there will be conflict and division among the people of the world...

Sad, but a fact..

Semper

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 01:29 AM
link   
...and there you have it. Just because they worship God, in whatever form, and by whatever name, doesn't make them anyless, or any more than, human. Subject to the same foibles as other humans. No matter how enlightened, or unenlightened, humans will still be subject to the emotions instilled in us, for better or for worse.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I'd spit on a group of people too if a long time ago they stole my religion, tacked stuff on to it, then preceded to persecute my people for over a thousand years for not believing in the add-ons.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 06:25 AM
link   
After all maybe they never forget that it was a part of the western Christian society that have inflicted the genocide upon them.
Better to be spited then gazed.
It seems that Jewish after all are not so happy with Christian in they land, with out forgetting the Muslims.

Kacou

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Kacen

This is pretty absurd and destructive thinking. "Your" people did something to "My" people many many years before I was (or you were) born, so I will retaliate on their behalf? AND, since I am (and "My" people are) inherently superior to you (and "Your people), I'll just spit this time, instead of roasting you on an open fire?

THE CYCLE CONTINUES...

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimiusDei

I find it strange that religious groups always seem to be at such odds with one another.

I'll give you a simple explanation. They all think they are "holders of the truth." As I think you are probably aware, I personally believe in God, but I'm not churchy at all.

What I have found to be true about organized religion is that they all claim to "know the truth." To "teach the truth" and to "practice the truth."

With such an arrogant and dare I say, faulty mindset, you really can't expect anything else but the vile hatred these religions, groups and organizations demonstrate towards others who belive and think differently than they do.

[edit on 16-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Not all of them are like that though...

To say they are is to do the same thing the true zealots are doing...lumping everyone into the same loaf of wrong belief. Most, the vast majority of worshippers in any religion just want to do their thing in peace. It's the loud minority that cause the ruckus.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Seagull, I guarantee you that if you get into any spiritual discussion with even those people, it quickly devolves into an "I'm right, you're wrong,end of discussion" conversation. I have encountered it one too many times.

[edit on 16-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
This is pretty absurd and destructive thinking. "Your" people did something to "My" people many many years before I was (or you were) born, so I will retaliate on their behalf? AND, since I am (and "My" people are) inherently superior to you (and "Your people), I'll just spit this time, instead of roasting you on an open fire?

THE CYCLE CONTINUES...

Because spitting is just as equally bad as being murdered.

Regardless, the Christians and Muslims still believe in a skewed, misinterpreted *coughstolencough* version of Judaism. Especially Catholics, just the fact people believing in Catholicism and Catholics can be content with their religion makes me fume. The playing field needs to be leveled; they are like a plague.

And the Jews that are spitting on them are probably the overly religious Haredi Jews, who are whack by my standards.

[edit on 11/16/2007 by Kacen]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by metro

Fo shizzle my nizzle. I agree with every part of your post.

people do the same thing over ethnicity, maybe we should get rid of different ethnicities? [sarcasm]

Seriously though, people need to grow up.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   

who are whack by my standards.

Isn't that the problem?

Intolerance of others standards/beliefs...

Complete with the violence inherent in such prejudice..

The playing field needs to be leveled; they are like a plague.

How is it "you" telling us how messed up Catholics and Jews are and how "whacked" they are any different then the prejudices that is the base of this thread?

I can tell you...

It is no different..

It is still intolerance..

Semper

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen
Regardless, the Christians and Muslims still believe in a skewed, misinterpreted *coughstolencough* version of Judaism. Especially Catholics, just the fact people believing in Catholicism and Catholics can be content with their religion makes me fume. The playing field needs to be leveled; they are like a plague.

And the Jews that are spitting on them are probably the overly religious Haredi Jews, who are whack by my standards.

[edit on 11/16/2007 by Kacen]

I hate to ask... but I am really curious just what your "standards" might be. Intolerant generalizations and the people who believe them are what "makes me fume."

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   
This shows the degree of civilization of those Jews. Not different from other people in that place, just another "religion"

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Freedom Of Spit

People who generalize about other people are always wrong.

I love irony.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join