It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOD, you there?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
"Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money." - George Carlin

So how close is George Carlins little description of god and religion? How far off was he? What do you guys think about this quote?

Personally, I think this is the simplest way to describe religion and all the problems with it. Nothing wrong with a twist of humor to go along with a serious subject either.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Thats because Carlin is a ignorant goofball with no understanding. Mary said near the end there would be a false peace, and people would think about nothing but amusement. Comedys ok, but shes talking about Shallow, filthy, perverted, ignorant amusement in this false era of peace before WW3.

Now, what Carlin doesnt understand is that God is (perfect)

You wouldnt let a robber in your house to live with you?

Would you let someone who free willingly hates you live with you? or doesnt want to humbly serve you as a father?

Its like saying to someone living in my house freeloading. Ok you can dislike me, spit in my face, eat all the food without paying, contribute nothing to the world, be a lazy bum, and still live in my house no problem.

what kind of irresponsible God is that? I would not want God to be like that, but just. God still loves the soul, but it has to be seperated from him.

I know I wouldnt do either, so why should God?

At the judgement seat, everybody, and I mean everybody will be standing in space without earth, and the books will be opened, and he will show why this one makes it, why this one deosnt.

God searches the hearts, he knows every thought, every action, everything, and is justice itself.

Carlins time is running out, he will find out like the rest of us. That goofball God loves beyond measure. God put his love into dogs unconditional love they have for us, and he just doesnt have a clue, so I hope to God he converts his heart.

Now, as for religion. God made a church. We believe it, not just by word, but by miracles.

So why do we not have a right to believe it?

Like someone saying Church is a repressive institue on the news.

If souls like me (CHOOSE) to go worship Jesus in love, than hows repressive relevant?

Its not, but the mouths of fools destroy the world.

People, the majority go to church to worship God in happiness and love by desciesion. They love God.

For Christians, please just ignore this stuff like wind bouncing off your face.

peace.

[edit on 13-11-2007 by JesusisTruth]

[edit on 13-11-2007 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
The money

I personally dont give money in the basket.

But I do also know that the money goes to organizations to help people and rebuild the churches.

If my brother came to me and said, please let me bowor (cant spell) money because my house needs repairs or I need food, than thats good money giving.

But if it goes to a Xbox 360, than forget that.

He doesnt know what they do with the money.

Please forgive me if my last post is alittle adjitated, im really tired of ignorance towards faith.

peace.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

Nicely put. I think the money subject gets to me most. I know that in the states you have a lot of churches that just seem to ooze money, but here in the U.K. most churches struggle to pay thier way. My own church included. I don't think those telly evangelists help our case.

And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do

Nor do i want to do them.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Actually, Jesus gave us another commandment, which brings it to eleven.
Maybe George didn't read that part. You know all those teachings on love?

Even the athiest's around here are better informed than him.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myrtales Instinct
Actually, Jesus gave us another commandment, which brings it to eleven.
Maybe George didn't read that part. You know all those teachings on love?

Even the athiest's around here are better informed than him.

....no, carlin is quite well informed. he's just talking about this one little story.

do you really expect a stand-up comedian to go into a full theological discussion on stage?
he's got to make the point.
i mean, there are more than 30 commands from god
most of them nobody follows

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I expect nothing of Carlin. He expects a check.Lol

His joke wouldn't have been so funny if he had added the new commandment, from the New Testament. What's funny about the message of love?

It's a simple few words. It didn't benefit him, so he didn't use it.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Myrtales Instinct

it's odd that jesus commands love and then there's so much intolerance in the new testament...

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Is love to be commanded, by religion ?

What about unconditional love ? Now that is a poser.

"I know I wouldn't do either, so why should God?" (Hmm . .)

I think Carlin's quote was funny, as it touched on real life.
Too bad real life didn't touch more on leading us to The Path.

top topics

join