It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Undetected CHINESE submarine pops up during US Navy Exercise

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I had a friend who was a Sonar Tech/Operator on a U.S. Sub. He said that his submarine managed to sneak up on an aircraft carrier and fire a flare over the ship's deck during an exercise. So evidently, a well equipped submarine that is manned by a clever, experienced captain and crew can sneak into a Naval group. However, during an actual war everyone's senses are hightened so it would likely not be as easy.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reeper
reply to post by Anubis Kanubis

Someone has already said it; the submarine was unlikely to have been undetected, but until it poses a threat, it can only be monitored. The media headlines, I suspect, are bigger than the actual incident.

Seems that people have managed to comment again without reading a whole article. Here, let me help you:

American military chiefs have been left dumbstruck by an undetected Chinese submarine popping up at the heart of a recent Pacific exercise and close to the vast U.S.S. Kitty Hawk - a 1,000ft supercarrier with 4,500 personnel on board.

By the time it surfaced the 160ft Song Class diesel-electric attack submarine is understood to have sailed within viable range for launching torpedoes or missiles at the carrier.

And then the comments:

According to senior Nato officials the incident caused consternation in the U.S. Navy.

The Americans had no idea China's fast-growing submarine fleet had reached such a level of sophistication, or that it posed such a threat.

One Nato figure said the effect was "as big a shock as the Russians launching Sputnik" - a reference to the Soviet Union's first orbiting satellite in 1957 which marked the start of the space age.

All in all, china is really arming, and it's lately actions proves it has gained something. At least it has shown that there is another military superpower and that makes war less likely. I say lets arm every nation/state with most powerful weapons with no limitation whatsover - I bet we would have much more equivalent world

<< 1  2  3   >>

join