It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Look at Meditation and the Conspiracy of Making Dough From It

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
As in everything religious, it pays good money to make whatever angle you make arcane enough so that ordinairy people either think they need help with it or are beyond understanding the simplicity. It is the same way with meditation. One simply can't do this without buying DVD's or joining an organization, right?

IMO... wrong!

As with everything religious, once you actually ignore the sales pitches and sermons from those who are certain they are so much smarter than you, then you come to the realization that these 'middle men' are only in it for the money. No-one needs to 'buy' anything when it comes to spiritual matters. A person on a desert island can come to terms with the Creator which is eventually found 'within'themselves.

One aspect of this arcane business is meditation.

Meditation is just 'uncontrolled thinking'. It can be successfully achieved by anyone at any time... no eerie music, incense or mumbling required. Here, in a nutshell, is how it works and you've all done it a thousand times.

Why do you think that so many ideas come to mind in the shower or bath?

It's because the part of the brain that is busy doing the ritual of bathing and that's no different than any other ritual the spin doctors want to sell you. All the actions we go through in that process are standard by the time we're old enough to use the bathroom on our own. We can do it without thinking and that's the key.

I call it Left Brain Entanglement. Roger W Sperry, who won a Nobel Prize for his study on L & R brain hemispheres, stated that the left side is used for analytical thinking and the right, visual and perceptive.

www.rogersperry.org...

So, how does this tie into meditation, you might ask...

Pretend you're doing something that you really don't need to think about (ie. raking leaves or mowing the lawn). The left side of the brain is busy making sure you are doing everything in a methodical manner, not missing any leaves or leaving ugly tufts of long grass. while doing so, the left side is busy but you really don't have to do too much thinking about what you're doing. The 'L' is occupied and this frees up the 'R' to get into your consciousness and make itself useful. And there you have the nut of what meditation is.

Meditation is the opening of the right hemisphere to consciousness. It has nothing to do with bells, chanting or incense other than the fact that chanting might also occupy the 'L' in order to free the 'R'. Bells, weird New Age music and incense are only window dressing.

If a person wished to try to meditate, having never attempted it before, the method described above is perfect.

Here's how...

1. Turn off your radio, television, stereo and get as close to silence as you can. This is important because distractions are... well, distracting.

2. Do something which requires time but no thought.

You will find that the first thoughts that come to mind will be confrontational. This is that 'L' side trying to keep control. 'I should call Aunt Maggie and thank her for baby-sitting' or 'when's the phone bill due?', or even maybe bringing up regrets for things such as making such an idiot of yourself at the staff Christmas party. The 'L' side loves all the attention because it's the way we survive in this hard world. we need to be on top of such things or we'll get into trouble. I'm not dissing 'L', but, really, why only use half your brain?

After you've run the series of mental notekeeping, the 'L' side will think it's all good and, in most cases, start to relinquish control. This is what 'R' has been waiting for... a chance for center stage.

'R' is the place where new ideas come from. It's the source of those Eureka!! moments and, even better, coming to understand complex personal issues. Anytime something comes to mind, it's important to stop what you're doing and write it down in a notebook.

It's how this OP came to be. I was working in my studio, painstakingly putting little bits of paint on a canvas over the course of many, many hours and then writing this idea down.

looking forward to your comments...

----------------------
Edited for clarity

[edit on 10/11/07 by masqua]

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I agree with your sentiment, it is foolish for people to just buy buy buy into things thinking it is some information they don't already have, or that they can't get from a more reliable source for free. I know I have done it with several things in my life, but each time you learn what to look out for next time. I recently bought a book about getting rid of debt and 3/4 of it was motivational brainwashing, the other 1/4 was stuff I already knew about.. Sometimes I wish I could get my money back for all the stupid things I have wasted it on in life.

As far as meditation and how the brain works, the most enlightening book I have ever read is called "Zen and the Brain" by James H Austin. He goes into detail how the brain works in states of meditation, it is a fascinating read, though a bit thick. I have re-read the book over 4 times now and each time I realize something new about my brain, consciousness, and the eternal source of peace that is at all times within us.

[edit on 10-11-2007 by Ionized]

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

freely you have received freely give(matthew 10:8)the spirits of the prophets are under the control of the prophets(1 cor.14:32-33)and G-D is not the author of confusion but of peace as in all the assemblies of the saints.----------so watch out for churches that are in it for the money and maintain control over you own mind-------dont let others think for you-----------and have fun trying to find the churches of the saints--------i've been thrown out of many that said they were these ones and i've only stuck around for an hour with many that obviously were not because they did not obey G-Ds laws.(matthew 5:17)satan has many churches to keep the planet deceived with since he is the god of this world (matthew 4 and luke 4.) till Messiah comes to unseat him.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Cudos

I agree with you, I meditate every day, and i have to say that you shouldnt have to pay a cent to do it

Im of course talking about basic meditation techniques. You can find help for free online and most people do it without realizing it is meditation. However, there are techniques that can really only be learned at a retreat or from a master or guru. These advanced techniques arent for everyone, and only people who are very serious about there meditation should be given these techniques. Therefore i believe that in order to keep these techniques from becoming unsanctified by your average joe cranker who knows not a thing about them. Masters and retreats charge a fee, and you have to pass certain requirments to be initiated into these advanced techniques. I see nothing wrong with that. By charging money they can insure that the person is truly serious about practicing it.

The advanced technique i speak of is mainly kriya yoga, which is the one i know the most about. Which you dont need to pay money too learn necessarily, if you know a master. But this technique in particular is only taught to people who are meditating at least one and a half hours per day every day on average, and who are advanced enough spiritually to be able to do it. Also one has to sign an agreement whereby you will not reveal the technique to anyone, for the technique can only properly be taught by a master, or a teacher appointed by a master. Is it a conspiracy? I dont think so. I think its the fact that this technique is ancient, and powerfull, and by keeping it secretive it is untouched and unchanged from master to master thereby keeping it as it should be.

Be carefull as always for there are as everywhere frauds that just want your money.

There is ordinary meditation, and then there are states of consciousness that advanced meditation can bring upon you that will change your life forever.

Proceed with caution
Peace

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Yes, but a few books, at least the right ones can go a long way. Especially when introducing yourself to things like meditation, dreaming, OOBE (or astral projection). Maybe I was just lucky in my choices but I know they have helped me immensely.

Genuine effort is probably 90% of it anyway, not the books... that's probably why I progress so slowly lol. But no I don't think they are useless, just a small part of the whole that you need in order to have success with these sorts of things.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Thanks, all, for the comments.

yahn goodey - your post is appreciated. Being wary of false prophets, etc., is exactly what my OP was about. To add to your remarks, I doubt the time Jesus spent in the desert was for some sort of hardcore diet. Thank you.

gravytrain... although I'm not familiar with Kriya, my wife and I have practiced yoga for at least 35 years, though not in a 'steady' manner. I use it at least every time I'm suffering from some sort of minor injury like muscle strains, etc.

On meditation, I was initially influenced by the Rosicrucian method of focussing onto non-existing points/candle flames and got so far as being able to clear my mind by the Pavlovian ring of a certain small bell I keep. That worked fine for me too, when I had less time to play with (work, family, etc). Now, I find a 'higher level' during work. It's not a passive method, but it does require quiet surroundings.

Novise... I agree books and articles are beneficial, at the very least as a way to open peoples minds to the methods. I still think, at the end of it all, that each will find their own way to unlock their inner voice. The point I'm making is that everyone does it all the time as it is, without really being aware of what they are accomplishing. Just like a kid laying in a field watching the clouds drift and change, their imagination will quickly be firing on all cylinders.

In fact, that's a great description of how I view meditation... a child lying in a field of tall grasses, watching the clouds float and twist far above on a warm sunny summer afternoon.

Edit for clarity

[edit on 12/11/07 by masqua]

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Nice post and very true.

The people of the world have become lost and have forgotten that God lies within. Sure there are books, churches, preachers, and even saviors. But these things mean nothing unless you take what they say into your own heart.

Meditation is the perfect way to connect with God. It can be done at anytime, anywhere, for totally free. And you don't even have to believe in God to do it. I've always personally thought that meditation was so endlessly beneficial that various techniques should be shared, not sold. Besides most things that people sell as meditation help can be found for free on the internet somewhere.

Ultimately all is within.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
This is a serious question, and one that has me curious. How does the being left-handed affect the brain activity? Does it reverse the functionality of each hemisphere?

Yes, I'm left-handed.

Cool topic btw. I have some thoughts that somewhat relate to this, but are enough off the main subject that I may just start a new thread.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Q_Llama
This is a serious question, and one that has me curious. How does the being left-handed affect the brain activity? Does it reverse the functionality of each hemisphere?

Not for certain, no.

It can affect some functional lateralisation in some people. Thus, a large majority of RHers (90%ish) have left brain dominance for language, but this is lower for LHers. But still a majority of LHers are left lateralised for language.

So, there tends to be some difference across group comparisons, but does not apply to all.

[edit on 15-11-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Being in the business myself I am very aware of how the "new age industry" asks a bunch of money for thousands of variations on meditation...a skill that is NATURAL to each and every person and easily learned in a few minutes.

Nevertheless people go on selling audio, video, seminars, books, retreats, workshops, teaching by the millions.

The line always goes, if you do ________ (some variation of simply meditating/being aware/focussing)...

...then you can have _________________ (an endless list of benefits).

People fall for it all the time. Ive visited courses that cost thousands of dollars, but when you break them down to what they are actually teaching, its always some variation of focus or meditation.

Masqua, this is a very real and a very true conspiracy you write about. CONSPIRACY because most of the people in this business are actually aware of what they are doing.

I used to teach meditation, and always jokingly added: If I tell you too much today, you wont come back for more.

An even more disturbing trend, especially in the more cultish variations of meditational teaching, are those who deliberately bring up problems so that they can offer the solutions.

Important thread you set up here.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

MEDITATION IS AWESOME!! I noticed that you were comparing kriya yoga to hatha yoga-hatha yoga is the stretches and positions, kriya yoga has actually nothing to do with hatha yoga really at all, it is an advanced meditation technique that simply put has to do with cycling chi up and down through spinal chakra's. Just to clear that common misconception of yoga up
Google it to learn more!

Peace.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I agree entirely. I was having real trouble meditating when I first started. I kept thinking I neo the sup;eeded to learn from someone else... but after reading books and doing various different methods they described, I felt silly and I felt like I could figure it out myself by just clsing my eyes, being quiet, and turning off all my thoughts.... and eventually after using my own hybrid method formed from bits and pieces of methods I read about, I found a way that works for anything.... but it requires that you empty your bladder first because the first jolt into the supernatural world is a doosey.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I would have to say that if anyone is charging you money to teach you something that's natural (meditation), then that's a problem. However, if you're a part of a center or organization, you have made friends, and you want this group to survive, and even perhaps open up to teach others if they're looking to be taught, then obviously money is sort of essential, right? I would be troubled by anyone who required me to pay a certain fee, as anyone ought to be.

top topics

join