It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MoD's Invisible Tank proof of Hologram tech?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Army tests James Bond style tank that is 'invisible'

New technology that can make tanks invisible has been unveiled by the Ministry of Defence.

In secret trials last week, the Army said it had made a vehicle completely disappear and predicted that an invisible tank would be ready for service by 2012.

The new technology uses cameras and projectors to beam images of the surrounding landscape onto a tank.

Daily Mail UK

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Hi folks.

I apologize if my understanding of John Lear's theory are off but I wanted to pose the question to hopefully help me understand, and/or to see if what I believe I understand about the theory is correctly applied to this military announcement. It seems to be.

I know the article itself is being discussed in another thread, BUT the principles of the technology in question seem to relate specifically to Mr. Lear's claims. As soon as I heard this unveiled I instantly thought of John's claims of hologram tech being used by the military. Camera's and projectors that simulate an actual image such as a plane...or in this case simple background environment.

Basically isn't this the actual hologram tech that people don't believe exists or am I wrong in thinking that this now seems like more than just a possibility?

- Lee

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Damn, welcome to hell. Stops my heart to imagine what will be on this planet in 300 years. If this is true, the face of warfare has changed yet again.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
If there going public with this technology then it must be old hat by now.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by helium3
If there going public with this technology then it must be old hat by now.

Exactly my point.

It is potentially even more superior than being represented to the public or at the very least this is the weaker version.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Well, if this pans out to be true...then mabey there is some truth to the account I read about a year ago on ATS .

It was about a guy who lived in the U.K. (PaulStar1) on or very near a MOD owned site and tells a story of a large mechanical object, unseen but kicking up dust and noisy scared the crap outta him.

The member appears to be banned now for reasons I did not care to research...but there was another account given on that thread by another member (cycles) that went something like this...

Originally posted by cycles

Hi PaulStar1,

just want to tell you I believe in every word of your story.
I had a similar experience about a year ago.
I was shocked to death.

It happened in an hotel where several high ranking politicans and military people stayed for a couple of days.
I had a room on the first floor and the roof of the extended basement stretched before my window.
I´d left the window open.
I woke up in horror because I heard a voice directly in front of my window.
I could clearly identify a voice saying "Yes Sir" and "I repeat: ... 44 (several numbers)".
It was like a man talking to a phone.
As the voice seemed to become more distant, I dared to go to the window and have a look outside.
I had a plain view of the roof in every direction, it was a platform light grey in color, about 80 x 20 ft, 5 ft under my window.
A floor above were several lights on the front of the hotel.
I could clearly hear footsteps and the voice of a man walking away from my window to the edge of the roof, but there was no man.
I should have seen that man without question.
I clearly saw a ladder brought into position exactly at the point the man went to.
I saw no one go up or down, but the ladder was removed again about 20 seconds later.
I was shocked to death.

Up to now the only one I told about was my boyfriend, but I was just ridiculed of course.

Here's the link to that thread....

My comment is, if they can render something as large as a tank invisible.... soldiers or operatives, would be even easier... looks like we need to be careful what we wish for or strive to achieve... 20th Century...the age of the DIGITAL ASSASSINS...

If this report is indeed true, truly scary times ahead...

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
hey i thought i would put this here yes the technology to render things insible has existed since the forties back then bulky and only on ships and large vans or barracks trucks now it is the size of a small back pack and can be applied to a person or a ship or a aircraft i have seen these flying normal helicopters not even high assault flying over head i can seem them because i see things alittle differently also available and used is teleportation technology is very widespread for surveillance its all there and here when will it be public who knows......after all, "a war without secret action is nothing more than a series of random acts of violence"-the art of war

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Nope, it's not a hologram at all. If you read the descriptions of it, they're really clear about it being a system where they project the background image onto the front of the tank.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Tom Bedlam

Agreed Tom, to answer the Question of the OP...but, this report is extremely IMPORTANT....invisible IS invisible no matter how you achieve it..

Good find lee, keep vigilant.

[edit on 2-11-2007 by 1nL1ghtened]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Bedlam
Nope, it's not a hologram at all. If you read the descriptions of it, they're really clear about it being a system where they project the background image onto the front of the tank.

I have read the descriptions and it was clear, thanks. I mentioned in the OP that it was the principles of the technology I was curious about. Maybe I wasn't clear enough but I understand that the illusion projected on the tank is not a hologram.

I understand that the tank itself is physical that much is obvious, my point was about the technology involved in creating the illusion. The technology to be able to project a realistic image around an object and for all intents and purposes make it practically invisible is remarkable.

Clearly this isn't like projecting a film onto a white screen. If you project an image onto my car with known conventional projectors, you'd still see the car in the projection. This article indicates that would not be the case, hence my question.

Could projectors that sophisticated potentially be used to project a realistic image independently? A hologram.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma...my point was about the technology involved in creating the illusion. The technology to be able to project a realistic image around an object and for all intents and purposes make it practically invisible is remarkable.

It's only from one direction. They're projecting the background onto the tanks so that it's masked from one viewpoint. Sort of like the bridge scene in the Indiana Jones movie with the holy grail.

Clearly this isn't like projecting a film onto a white screen. If you project an image onto my car with known conventional projectors, you'd still see the car in the projection. This article indicates that would not be the case, hence my question.

But it IS like that. In this case, the tanks have a surface coating that's ideal for projecting an image onto.

Could projectors that sophisticated potentially be used to project a realistic image independently? A hologram.

No. Holograms don't work that way outside of movies.

There has been some work on using "real images" to mask an object from a single viewpoint but it's either not convincing or the media is larger than the object to be masked, which sucks.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
It's quite interesting actually, the design i heard about was using liquid crystal screens rather than a projector but the effect is the same. The reason they're going with projectors is probably because it's cheaper, and if the tank takes damage it doesn't destroy the image being projected onto it.

The tank basically takes a picture of the terrain it's rolling over, that image is displayed in real time on the top of the tank. So this has fairly limited application, in that it renders the tank as harder to see from satellite, but still fairly visible on the ground. However it does have merit as a new technology purely for the fact that it's a real time camouflage which doesn't require repainting the vehicle.

Another point of interest, chaps in japan are working on camouflage clothes using the same idea. I dont know the name for these things, but there is a new kind of tv which you can roll up and put under your arm like a piece of rubber, it uses some advanced form of liquid crystal. The suit i guess would be made of this, though i don't see personally how it's practical for use by the military since it'd would be expensive and probably quite easy to damage.

I did hear something in the weaponry board about a type of tank coating which uses nanotechnology though, interesting stuff

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
This technology has been aired on Discovery Channel several years ago. It has been confirmed that it was used to hide the two armored vehicles from the Branch Davidians. They could not see the vehicles approaching, but could have heard the engines except the FBI was blasting the complex with loud music ("These Boots Are Made for Walking") to cover the engine noise. The landscape behind a tank is projected in front of the tank, and what is seen from that direction is simply the scenery that lies behind the tank, rendering it invisible from one direction. It can of course be seen from the sides and rear. I saw the video and taped it on VCR and the only telltale sign that could be seen were the rising heatwaves from the engines, but that would require looking very closely for a period of time in one area of the landscape. It would not be noticeable to a sentinel charged with being a lookout.

new topics

top topics

join