It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

64 bit processors

page: 1

join
share:
who

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I have been reading a great deal lately about the new 64 bit processors and their capabilities. Seems like they dont do any better on current programs than conventional processors but excel in other areas. Does anyone know if the seti@home program would work better or faster if run on a 64 bit processor? Any 64 bit processor, regardless of manufacturer. Thanks for the info.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The only 64 Bit out right now is the AMD 64 FX-51 and 3000+-3400+. It shouldnt cause an increase. Maybe a little for the increased FSB but still very little than a conventional 32 Bit. But Seti@Home will prolly release a 64 Bit version to take the full 64 Bit CPU potential. THEN it will be faster at processing the SETI data.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
64 bit CPU's won't offer any real increase in performance on current programs, as they have been written with 32 bit CPU's in mind. The software just doesn't have the ability to take advantage of 64 bit speed and power. Give it a year or so, when we start seeing 64 bit programs, and compare them to their 32 bit counter parts, and your'll see huge differences. Bear in mind a 64 bit isn't twice as powerful as a 32 bit it's many many more times.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Umm.... I have a PC with the Athlon FX-51, and some programs are blindingly fast!

Perfect example, games. MUHAHAHAHA!

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Yeah, its the same deal with having multiple processors, alot of programs arent designed to use 2 or more procs, so they only use one and the 2nd one just sits ilde. Once they start making dual 64bit processor boards and then cluster a bunch of those, the top500 list of supercomputers will be renovated rather quickly.

who

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
alternateheaven- Mac already offers a dual G5 machine, i was at a Mac store in a nearby mall the other day and they had one sitting there you can use. Are there any operating systems out for 64 bit processors yet?

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
It's funny with Mac claiming the fist consumer 64 bit CPU's when AMD's Opteron clearly beat it. You won't be able to benefit from using a 64 bit cpu unless you are using a 64 bit OS. Microsoft is comming out with 64 bit versions of windows and many 64 bit forms of linux can be found already. There are several 64 bit CPU's out right now such as the AMD Opteron, AMD Athlon FX, and some AMD Athlon XP's, Itanium, and Mac's 64 bit cpu. The new AMD 64 bit cpu's run lower clock speeds than P4 but clean its clock in most applications. While you can't use their 64 bit capabilities yet, they are extremely fast at 32 bit.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Yes there are 64 Bit OSs. The main one right now is Windows XP 64 Bit Edition. But you cant buy it in stores. Only comes with prebuilt computers. Also many Distros of Linux are in the process of being ported to 64 Bit.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Linux supported it from the very begining. All you have to do was change the something or another. I'm not a linux guru that is for sure but I did find or see an article on the Internet or tv. Might have been the Screensavers.

www.techtv.com...

www.techtv.com...

www.overclockersclub.com...

alioth.debian.org...

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Feygan is right in what he said, but I also heard from other peoples, and Simon also noticed it seems, that some applications or games, don't ask me how, seems to already profit a little from having 64 bit processor.

top topics

join