It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pretty New Buttons...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Hmmmmm,

I wonder what button will take up the far right void?

Maybe a

Countdown clock to the Nov 5th Webcast?

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I was going to be polite and not say anything......but Im with them. Please, oh please change them back.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Somewhere around here is a thread where people hated the addition of icons/pictures into the main menu buttons.

This is the first of several steps (some major, some minor) to improve the overall performance of ATS for end users. About two months ago we went through some significant technology changes to improve our IT infrastructure, and this next round was always on "the list."

As more and more people become interested in ATS, a broader segment of users are hitting our pages. Our Google Analytics data is showing a significant increase in dial-up, slow-DSL, and slow-Cable users coming to ATS and joining ATS. This time last year, more than 80% of all our users (members and guests) were on fast broadband connections. But last month, our biggest month ever, over 40% of all our users were on connection speeds either somewhat less than broadband, or a lot less.

We've always had a graphically rich environment because of our heavy "skew" toward experienced online users who tend to have fast connections. But after our recent round of advertising, we're reaching a broader base.

So, it was time to make the hard decisions of putting our pages on a diet. For example, a page analysis tool I'm using shows our "Recent Posts" page comes in at a whopping 322 kilobytes with 55 different images totaling nearly 200k... that's a heavy page!

These new menu buttons are a fraction of the total file size of the previous menu, since they're text with a small graphic background.

So in short, these changes are not about any "bandwidth issues" with our servers, but the need to consider an increasingly broader base of users who may not have the fastest connections.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
My personal opinion is every change to this website design back to and including the change to "dark matter" has made it less attractive and less intuitive to use.

These new buttons are absolutely horrible.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Every time we see a change on the board, members are up in arms over it.

Dark Matter, myATS, Buttons, Chat, whatever it is, nobody likes change. It's human nature to become comfortable with one's surroundings, so obviously when change is introduced, it's not always well received.

However, let's look at this holistically.

Skeptic is talking about how heavy the pages are, and that users on a slower connection are probably clawing their eyes out waiting for a page to load. I think our avatars, and member profile area's are probably a leading contributer. I've yet to see a discussion board provide an opportunity like ATS, with an avatar size of up to 160x400. Or even background images that allow much to the imagination.

While most offer thumbnails, we're offering massive opportunities for members to freely express themselves.

Rather than infringe on this privilege, cutbacks are made around the buttons, or other small features that have room to give. While some are appreciative for the features that are offered, others hoot and hollar about what the buttons look like.

Come on now.

We have so much. I don't think it's fair that we bash a new feature in the manner that we've seen here.

Would you rather the older buttons, and all of us have thumbnails for avatars?

No, thank you.

[edit on 18-10-2007 by chissler]

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I've been around long enough to have seen myriad button changes and each one has been disconcerting for one reason or another.

However, in the end, a button is a button and what one looks like is far less important than the function a button performs.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

I agree with you Grady, makes no difference to me as long as they work.
Hell if it helps the people still living in the 90's with dial up thats good too.
Though I thought dial up was just something you seen in old movies

[edit on 18/10/2007 by Sauron]

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Skeptic is talking about how heavy the pages are, and that users on a slower connection are probably clawing their eyes out waiting for a page to load.

Sorry, no dice. Any browser worth its salt would cache the button images such that they wouldn't have to reload on every page request, and anyway they are so small compared to the rest of the page content as to be virtually irrelevant.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Is it possible to create an ATS page for low speed internet users, and one with this layout and the old buttons for high speed internet users, and both connect to the same servers and same posts, just look different?

Basically an option to change the skin/layout according to what your internet speed can handle is what I'm getting at.

Possible or no?

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
People still use dial-up internet? For real?

It seems like in this age of technology that people should at least be using a 1.5 connection to get online. My guess is that the demogrpahic accessing ATS using such a slow connection must be a little out of touch with tech of today. From what I have observed, most ISP's seem to be marketing their mid-range (1.5) product at the same price as the low range (896k), thus trying to lure users into a higher connection speed. And moving into the future with greater technology being embraced, does it not make sense to prepare the site for the future? Changing the buttons for low bandwidth users seems to be a move backwards rather than forwards, but then again that is just how I perceive it.

Unfortunately I have to agree with the majority in that the new buttons are pretty nasty

My 2 cents...

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

There is a low band width option in the member center,

I think this is still available.

Costs 50 pts in the ATS Store

[edit on 2007/10/18 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Come on now.

We have so much. I don't think it's fair that we bash a new feature in the manner that we've seen here.

Would you rather the older buttons, and all of us have thumbnails for avatars?

Although I dislike the buttons, I will get over it. I'd much rather have those changed instead of losing our avatars. Way to put things in perspective chissler.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
OMG!, I do believe ATS has been hacked by aliens from outer space performing a switch-o-roo on the earth based navigation buttons. It's war!. Our first line of navigation has been defaced by alien hackers. Let us re-organize our defenses and fight this atrocity perpetrated on our beloved cyber homeland.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AcesInTheHole
Although I dislike the buttons, I will get over it. I'd much rather have those changed instead of losing our avatars. Way to put things in perspective chissler.

Agreed. I am always so resistant to change, but after I while I get over it and end up liking what I hated before. Go figure.

Indeed thanks for putting it all into perspective Chissler

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
Is it possible to create an ATS page for low speed internet users, and one with this layout and the old buttons for high speed internet users, and both connect to the same servers and same posts, just look different?

Basically an option to change the skin/layout according to what your internet speed can handle is what I'm getting at.

I'm with this, a button like the customize button to change the layout, just like the light/dark button. It would be perfect.

although, losing my avatar, no thanks

Roswell.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I know. I'm a high speed internet user, so I was just wondering if there'd be a better way for low speed internet users to view ATS without sacrificing some features for us high speed users.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
i think i might have found a bad link, (unless its supposed to be like that)
when i click the Mem center button it goes straight to my ATS Account Settings, instead of my U2Us.

Roswell.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
No offense, but they look far more unprofessional than the buttons before them.

Bring back the old ones.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Geez... I never knew that so many little old ladies were members of ATS.

Quit whining about the freakin' buttons already. ATS is loading for me instantly now whereas before it would take 3-5 seconds to re-load a page.

Life is tough. Get over it already.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by robert z
whereas before it would take 3-5 seconds to re-load a page.

So you tell us to stop whining about buttons, yet you are making it clear you had a problem with waiting an extra 3-5 seconds?

Hate to break it to ya, but us high speed internet users should have a better layout since we've taken the technological step and pay more for our service

I think there should be a low speed and high speed skin/layout option.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join