It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Find a nice picture of the Northstar

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Badge01, Jbird, and spacedoubt --

Good point about the OP possibly meaning Venus (sometimes called the 'Evening Star' and the 'Morning Star') rather than Polaris.

Thanks. Maybe when the OP (who, in his defense may not be a native English-speaker) comes back, he will be able to clarify his question.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by IAttackPeople

That has to be the most disappointing thing in the world. I was hoping your link was something good ... but mostly artist's renditions and pictures of the rocket on this planet.

It is absolutely ridiculous we don't have better info from the closest planet to earth.

Well, no use theorizing and making comments, opinions are already formed for either side ... it just seems very suspicious that nearly all of those 21 or so pages were not of the planet at all. What a joke.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Why can't people just say what they are thinking instead of trying to play some kind of coy little games where we are supposed to guess what they want us to say? I don't understand it and it happens all the time on ATS. Every week there is a poster who claims to have secret data that is unavailable to the rest of the Internet community, provided to them by their secret sources. If you have a point then make it so we can then move onto discussing it.

[edit on 18-10-2007 by zerotime]

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Thanks zerotime for saying what I was trying to say. Though I'm very interested in this thread I have absolutely no idea what's it's about. Isn't that queer?

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeThinkerIdealist

I know what you mean! I was disappointed myself.

Venus Express has been orbiting Venus for over a year. I would think there would be a boatload of pictures to look at instead of just a few. Maybe pretty pictures aren't part of the Venus Express mission profile.

Here's a nice movie of the aproach to Venus, though.

Here's a page of Venus image thumbnails to peruse. The Magellan radar images of the surface are the best.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Seeing that Venus is shrouded in clouds, the best visual info we will get is from the Magellan radar images and the various Venera landers that the Russians sent. Otherwise, pictures using the visible light spectrum taken from the Earth telescopes or from orbit around Venus will just be images of a big hazy ball.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Pictures of cloudtops are pretty much all the same. If you want to see what Venus looks like, check out The Magellan Results. Magellan not only imaged the surface using radar, but also mapped Venus' gravity field very well, telling us quite a bit about how the planet is put together.

[edit on 19-10-2007 by disownedsky]

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I am impressed that so many are not willing to read and pay attention.

I mean no offense by that; it just seems that too many people are assuming rather than figuring out the point.

LOOK at the north star. Ask yourself the question, "Why are there no clear pictures of the third brightest object in the sky?" IT would seem to me that somebody is trying to get us to think.

For those who wish not to think, the motto here is to "Deny ignorance". Therefore, we think.

It is not good to simply give out information. It is better to give clues and let someone figure it out, being the person who may accept the reward for being able to solve the puzzle.

Simple kindergarteners understand this concept.

The OP is clearly not saying that the North star is the third brightest object in the sky. The OP is also probably not referring to Venus.

How often do we see pictures of the Space Station from earth?
What other importance does the north star have except for being a guide for sailors once upon a time?

Maybe it is possible that the Space Station is acting like a beacon much like Polaris once used to be...

Or maybe this is just a thinking exercise. Don't beg people for information, though - it doesn't suit an entity which claims to "Deny ignorance."

Another possibility: if the OP is referring to Venus, it does not make sense that we are not able to receive good pictures of Venus OR the moon - and yet we can see Polaris Ab on top of Polaris A from many light years away.
(Though, I would like to point out that most everyone already realizes that we are being jipped as far as the "galactic perspective" is concerned.)

Good post either way.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jbecker

jbecker, where'd you go?

Thought you had an interesting topic going here but you never came back for a followup.

The recent news about Comet Holmes reminded me of this thread for some reason.

Either way I was hoping you'd get this discussion going again...

Cheers.

[edit on 7-11-2007 by PhotonEffect]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   
OK, I won't be evasive. The OP draws our attention to (maybe) Venus. Now I read threads, and I almost always go to every link provided. This thread was no exception.

In the post by disownedsky there is a link labeled Magellan Results, which I duly followed. The site is up, though it states that it is for archive like purposes now, and no longer maintained. Now disownedsky clearly put this up for the images, and since no one else found a problem with it, it must have had what they expected to find.

Meaning when he posted, everyone else on the thread saw pictures there. If not, surely there would have been a post about that, as usually happens on threads where something expected isn't found.

The images are deactivated now. You can still access the Status Reports, or the Mission Summary, or the Press Release sections, but not the images. Now why, after all this time were they alone removed from a site that says it's no longer maintained?

I find it rather odd that someone came back to a deactivated and unmaintained site to remove only the images, and nothing else. And they do it within weeks of this thread.

Curious indeed.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Indeed and this thead needs more researh and attention, my curiosity is peeked. Hope OP returns soon...

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

The first "Images, Images, Images" link still works. I'd never actually tried the other image links. They may have been dead for a long time.

This image link is still alive and well.

As for the OP returning...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join