It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let school step in when parents don't (school giving 6th graders birth control pill)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
why was this thread moved? it was under alternative news. Can a moderator please answer this. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by stellawayten

Yes, I would like to know as well.

Edit because after 3 years cavscout cant properly use ATS

[edit on 17-10-2007 by cavscout]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout

We are creating a new class system, as the Dr. noted. I don’t, however, believe that it is a poor vs. rich or skin color based class system. Racial and economic classes have been with us since, well, forever.

Agreed. I believe there are new social classes constantly emerging, and then later submerging back into the dominant culture. They don't always have racial overtones. But the society has to find a way to label them, so it can monitor. Like hippie, yuppie, wasp, buppie, etc.

The new class war is one of academia/media vs. morality/church. Academia/media is founded on the liberal ideals of those who didn’t want to go to war in the 1960s and 70s and instead went to college. They now, because of their higher education, control the media and the schools. The have an agenda to preach, and they are taking their minority culture mainstream.

As more and more people become indoctrinated in the media/academia
Class, people like me who stick to the "old ways" are ostracized and made to look like ignorant imbeciles who cant be trusted with the education of a child.

Here's where you and I differ. I see Liberal (capital "L", since it is a political stance) secularists losing major ground socially. In retreat in just about every sector. But let's talk academia in this thread.

1. This whole thread shows the L's trying (failing) to control society, and ending up outraging people. This whole thread is negative press for liberal control. Liberals are not outraged, but the effect on non-liberals is galvanizing.

2. Public school is in retreat. Not just decline, but retreat. The new "haves" are refusing to participate. They are inventing private schools and home schools to keep the L's from shanghai-ing their children into the Liberal fold. It is obvious even to the teacher unions that we will have legal school vouchers in more than one state by 2016. The net effect is that only ideological Liberals, and the dysfunctional, will be sending their kids to school. Brain drain.

3. Alternative academia. I'm not talking about home school here. I'm talking about alternative college choices. If you don't know about this, you're missing out. Liberals laugh at "Bob Jones University" and "Oral Roberts University," but the fact is, these two schools you've probably heard of are the tail of a very fast-growing dog---religious schools that offer an accredited course in a purposefully religous setting, and don't cost even a fraction of a liberal state school. Grove City College is just one example I've seen on a resume in the last year. That applicant was also the most qualified and best educated I've met.
People send their kids to these colleges to get a rigorous education in the classics and in history and government. Most of the ones I've met are extremely articulate and bright. The schools challenge the traditional image of a pot-smoking college student, and offer internships in the offices of local politicians and non-profit orgs. Like homeless shelters!

4. The "flattening" of Academic authority.
It used to be that a degree from an Ivy league school got you an automatic job, because of your supposed "connections" Back East. Many employers (my employer) nowadays don't care if your law degree came from Harvard, they care about how good (and cheap) your advice is. Think about it. If I'm hiring an electrician, I don't care whether his license is from MIT or Cowtown Christian College. I just want the job done right.

5. A similar thing is going on online. Academic journals used to cost hundreds of dollars a year in subscription fees, keeping anyone but university proffessors (actually their departments) from subscribing. But now there are excellent academic journals available for less than $50 a year, and available online. And while archives like JSTOR are completely controlled by the Liberal Establishment, many articles are being published in parallel, right on the net. Anyone can access them. no university funding required.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 05:14 AM
link   
this dude should be moved back to alt news..

this story is blowing up.

6am on cnn right now....the school is 'stocking up' on these meds.
the pill, the patch, and one more thing...

they said parents have to sign a form for them to get into this 'treatment program' but once the kid gets in there, the 'treatment' is confidential.
it is up to the KID to tell the parent what is going on.

they are saying it is up to the KID to decide what method of control they choose.

this is WAY, WAY out of control..

so what happens when your kid wants the patch or whatever but you won't let her in. her friends mom don't care so she goes in, she gets the meds and then she gives them to her friend..

what about when one of these dumb ass kids do get pregnant and they decide to take the whole months worth of meds to try and abort??

this is a HORRIBLE idea...

i hope you guys move this back...this is about as alt as it gets...these are our kids.

the way it was presented, once these kids get in the parents are totally out of the loop.

sorry but middle school kids should not be deciding what method of control they are going to take without the consent of the parent and advice/dispencing from their gyno...that the ONLY way this should go down.

this is insanity

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 06:50 AM
link   
well, it is passed the proposal stage.
they met last night and it is going through...

3 different kinds of birth control...

yippie

just saw on cnn 10 seconds ago....you'll see it. they're gonna run it all day

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
this dude should be moved back to alt news..

Use the complain link and tell them.

I did, didnt get a reason it was moved.

It must be moderator bias. No response on my complaint and it hasnt been moved, so I have no reason to think it isnt unless given a reason.

[edit on 18-10-2007 by cavscout]

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Left another complaint.

This is breaking right now, this conspiracy to give drugs to our children.

WAY more important than bush flashing the devil fingers or Iran's pres. saying he doesn’t like Jews.

This is a real conspiracy and it is being ignored on the biggest and best conspiracy board?

Wake up people.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I was told by the moderator that moved it that this is a social issue that only the people in the us are are interested in and "barely" qualifies as "news" in their opinion. and i was "lucky" it wasn't moved to the social issues forum. :shk:

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   

After an outbreak of pregnancies among middle school girls, education officials in this city have decided to allow a school health center to make birth control pills available to girls as young as 11. King Middle School will become the first middle school in Maine to make a full range of contraception available, including birth control pills and patches. Condoms have been available at King's health center since 2000.

source

Yep, they are handing them out. This is crazy!

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by stellawayten
Yep, they are handing them out. This is crazy!

This is incredible. How the people of Portland aren’t blocking the entrance of the school with riffles in their hands is beyond me.

What happened to my country? This is sick.

An "outbreak" of pregnancies?

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I was told by the moderator that moved it that this is a social issue that only the people in the us are are interested in and "barely" qualifies as "news" in their opinion. and i was "lucky" it wasn't moved to the social issues forum. :shk:

Was it one of the ones who said it was OK for Big Brother to medicate children against parents will on this thread?

Yeah, only an American issue. I am sure the Vatican in EUROPE is just fine with this.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
This is absolutly insane. Why aren't the parents protesting or signing petitions?

You know, I am a moderate who leans towards the liberal side too but this is way across the line. If this were my kids school, I would be protesting right outside the schools doors.

This is something that should concern everyone in the world. Because if it happens in one school, other schools are sure to follow, in other countries as well.

[edit on 18-10-2007 by snowflake_obsidian]

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian
This is absolutly insane. Why aren't the parents protesting or signing petitions?

Right?

They should be having a Boston Tea Party style rebellion over this.

Stage a press event, dump contraceptives into a harbor.

If this was my children I would pull them out. If they didn’t let me, I would...well lets put it this way: they would have to dial 911.

May sound a little overboard, however the hormones they are going to give these little girls can cause cancer. They are way too young to be messing with their bodies like this.

The persons responsible for this should be subject to some form of public humiliation outside of the local courthouse.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by cavscout

They don't just cause cancer, they cause heart problems, clotting and hormonal problems. I was on birth control for a month and just threw them away because every day I was sick to my stomach on them (which is the most common side effect). Some women become emotionally unstable and suicidal from birth control pills. On my little fact sheet that comes with the birth control that shows the risks and all say that about 140 women over the age of 35 actually die a year from being on these pills.

For girls ages 15-19 there is about 1 death a year. They don't even have statistics on here for girls of 11 years old. However I am willing to bet that birth control is one of the reasons that many of women my age (27) are having fertility problems. Has there ever been a study to see if birth control can cause poly cystic ovary syndrome? My best friend has been on pills since she was 16 to regulate her period and now she is infertile.

I wouldn't just take my kid out of school because I feel that if I just simply remove my kid from school and let them to continue to do this, then they win. There are many parents who can't homeschool their children and can't afford to put their kids in private school. What about them? With some issues, it takes a villiage.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Good points snowflake, except we disagree on this:

I wouldn't just take my kid out of school because I feel that if I just simply remove my kid from school and let them to continue to do this, then they win. There are many parents who can't homeschool their children and can't afford to put their kids in private school. What about them? With some issues, it takes a villiage.

No person who can read and write has an excuse for not being able to home school.

It doesn’t take 7000 hours and 13 years. I was able to teach my children to read, write and do arithmetic in around 100 hours, in my own time, while working 50 hours a week and going to school myself.

At the time I was uneducated. I hadn’t received a passing grade in anything except band since the fourth grade and officially dropped out in the 9th grade.

Yet I taught my children. I spent about 3 hours a week schooling my children after that initial 100 hours and when I put them in public school for the first time they were ALL getting As and complaining that the work was too easy.

So far as allowing your children to be subjected to these sorts of things for the better good of the village I don’t know what to say except God gave those children to YOU to take care of and if you sacrifice them for the good of the community then I would say you need to get your priorities in order.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I am glad you were able to do all of that. However people are different.

I do have trouble teaching my daughter reading and writing. Practicing her spelling words usually turns into a big argument between her and I. I am good at teaching my children social skills and right from wrong, and other various life skills, but arethmetic is definatly not my strong point.

I'm sorry but not all of us are super heros and can do everything and some of us do require outside assistance, such as public school. And that's what public school was intended for, to teach reading and writing and math and all of that. Not to give our kids pills, thats what doctors are for.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   

And that's what public school was intended for, to teach reading and writing and math and all of that.

Public schools, as I stated earlier, were not started "to teach reading and writing and math."

They were started to remove children from the home, get them away from their parents.

They were started to teach children to move to a different area of the factory when the bell rings.

If you would like to explore ways you can de-school your child in order to provide for her an acceptable education in the home, I can help you achieve that. Your daughter doesn’t want to learn that stuff from you because schools teach children to HATE learning. You can fix that, it is never too late.

Studies have shown that children home schooled by parents who did not graduate high school STILL outperform both public and private school students.

U2U me if you want help in transitioning your child out of the institutionalized mindset so she can learn at home.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
i am interested in your de-schooling kids. i have a 12 year old that i probably scar for life every time i try to help her with her homework. i can not even imagine homeschooling her.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   

i am interested in your de-schooling kids. i have a 12 year old that i probably scar for life every time i try to help her with her homework. i can not even imagine homeschooling her.

Yeah, I know the feeling. Sometimes I get caught up in "teaching" my children and hit a road block.

The idea behind deschooling is to get your child out of the institutional mindset they have been conditioned into at school.

It is a transition between institutional school and home school.

I have tried on more than one occasion to help tutor a public school child and it is next to impossible. They are conditioned to hate learning and to separate school life from home life (or work life from home life, if you prefer.)

They accept that they are going to be forced to learn at school and their spirits have been broken. This is good preparation for a later transformation from school they hate to a job they will hate.

In order to make a smooth transition into a home learning environment you MUST NOT be a teacher. Let them take some time off. "Teach" them only things they want to learn. For how long? A good rule of thumb is one month of deschooling for every year of institutionalized schooling they have suffered.

It is very hard for most parents to allow their child to sit and be lazy for months on end when we are conditioned to think they are supposed to be in school. You will have to fight the urge to feel guilty about neglecting their education.

Use the time to take the child on "field trips" to the grocery store with a calculator in hand, to the bank, to work if you can. Remember that the point of raising of children is to make good adults out of them. Let them see you doing things in the practical world.

Also use the time to arrange a curriculum. Figure out how your child seems to learn best and arrange a system of learning compatible with him/her.

Most of all, use the time to get to know each other again, to get used to being around your child and taking on the responsibility of being a parent. The state has been raising your children and that is what you are used to, and it will be too easy to consider your efforts a failure and return to that if you are not prepared to be a full-time parent.

This is slightly off topic, but if they are going to dope up our children I think that methods of resistance are fair game, topic wise.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout

Use the time to take the child on "field trips" to the grocery store with a calculator in hand, to the bank, to work if you can. Remember that the point of raising of children is to make good adults out of them. Let them see you doing things in the practical world.

i want to touch on this point..people are probably going to go right past this and i think it is the single most important in this thread. i will use two examples. myself and my step brother.

i wantes to talk about your taking the kid to the store with the calculator and talk about preparing them for LIFE. that does not mean learning everything in the school book.
i went to public school and i dropped out in 10th grade, after i left my mother and went to live with my father.

my mother tells me i was reading at three and i can distinctly remember sticking my head out the window of the car to read the bullboards.
my mother had this 'clicker' that had 6 positions. two behind the decimal and four in front.
she took me to the store from when i was four on and tought me how to comparison shop and i still do it to this day..i remember using that clicker to keep track of how much it was costing.
i remember keeping track of the double coupons.....we're talking when i was in kindergarden and younger.

i remember her teaching me how to write proper checks and things like that.

then i get to my step brother..at 17 his stupid ass could not even look up stuff in the phone book. he was in highschool at the time...
he would seriously call my mother cause he couldn't do it.
i mean, total moron at life.

there is MUCH more to life than the crap you learn in school.
parents NEED to raise up their kids to be responsible adults and be able to succeed in the every day world of life.

i fail to see how these types of programs do this but i have felt like schools have been producing idiota for years.
i am not tooting my own horn.
i am not the smartest guy in the world but i was a hell of a lot more stupid back then.

i definately used to think with the masses and now thayt i am getting older i am very much taking issues with things like this.

i want my child out of school as soon as possible.
i do think there are things to be learned like social skills and such but imo, for the most part, the schools don't teach the kids anything a halfway decent parent couldn't teach them at home.

that is not a dig against the parents...it is a dig against the school system.
not everyone can homeschool their child for any number of reasons..who are we to get in their life?
at the same time, we should NOT stuff our noses at the people that do not want their kids in this very much crappy education system.

i may be one of the few that feel this way but i feel pretty strong about it.

i think you could be the biggest moron in the world and graduate highschool. i also think you can be the brightest person in the world and never set foot in a class room.

i also remember going to work with my mother at walden books, she was the manager and she used to explain to me how things in the store worked.
how they would tear the covers off certain books and sell them for cheaper and why..

just practical things.

tell you what.

i use the things my mother tought me like comparison shopping at least once a week. i have not needed to know about a frogs digestive system since 10th grade.
know what i mean

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join