It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by paul76
reply to post by AGENT_T
I once put a steak N kidney pie into the Microwave and it was still in it's foil case I was amazed when I returned to find that parts of the foil and actually combusted and just vanished. That didn't deter me from eating my lovely Pukka pie and as I took a bite out of the pie I recoiled in disgust, the pie tasted like the melted foil, it was disgusting.
Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
reply to post by Tom Bedlam
I'm glad you're breaking out the heavy artillery in defense of the Microwave ovens... I agree that heat is heat all of that but after 115 degrees fahrenheit all foods lose a majority of nutrients. Losing more nutrients exponentially in correlation with temperature increase....
The way they prepare the food is the same way we all do. We steam vegetables and fry or broil our meat. They are then frozen, creating more stress on any living nutrients and anti-oxidents. They are packaged in plastics and kept frozen until they hit the store. You then take them home and microwave them hot and serve. Although the heat is created with radio waves, they still heat to a certain temperature further eliminating any nutritional value it may have had.
Originally posted by Leyla
Adam and Eve didn't use one and they lived to be (around) 929-930 years old.
Originally posted by anhinga
Agreed on those points. Although, you could use the stovetop to re-heat said items just as easy and it won't change the molecular structure of your food!
Sorry to disagree w/ you Mr Bedlam, I see you know all the technical aspects of the microwave (what's your forte? Engineering, I assume),
I just can't hang w/ them and refuse to try "nuking" food.... I grew up in a "raw foods" environment and like it that way, I've been around holistic doctors who swear against them and the few articles I provided are enough info personally.
Any web search of this topic will have the same, heated, two-sided debate. So, IMO, agree to disagree and the case remains open. . . .
Originally posted by hlesterjerome
For the record, the following is a description of how microwave ovens actually do their magic:
When the magnetron is switched on, the nuclear particles (protons and neutrons) in the molecules of yer food absorb the microwave energy. This causes the nuclear particles to “jump” up to higher energy levels.
In nature, “stuff” always try’s to move to their lowest energy state, so…
…when the magnetron switches off, the nuclear particles that are at higher energy levels start to collapse to lower energy states.
Originally posted by Hyzera
I've been eating microwaved food since I was little, and I'm fine. In fact, I'm pretty much skinny and a bit underweight for my age. However, I do remember seeing a topic here on ATS where someone did a test and watered one plant with microwaved water, and another plant with boiled water.
The plant recieving microwaved water died, and the plant recieving boiled water was healthy.
[edit on 10/15/2007 by Hyzera]
Originally posted by Tom Bedlam
reply to post by anhinga
I haven't gone over the links in depth but most of this is pure junk, sad to say.
From your quote, it looks like the usual uninformed microwave bashing with the usual faux experts, although I've no doubt they'll ring in the former medical director of Lapland.
Originally posted by Tom Bedlam
Except that's garbage. It's being cooked by heat, and the heat comes from exciting water molecules with a spin couple.
Hint: any sort of heat with a temperature high enough to "cook" forms free radicals.
Hell, for that matter, your mitochondria are creating them by the billions, even as you read this.
Originally posted by Masisoar
Yes but food contains cells (meats and plants atleast) and microwaves have an altering affect to the food on a microscopic level. It's mutates the cells to sometimes become toxic but when consumed over time, can be deadly, maybe not immediately, due to the build up in your system.
How does your body react to things that become altered by harmful ray? I suppose Gamma Waves aren't over time harmful to humans.
The same applies with food and microwaves. It's very very unhealthy (long term) to consume microwaved foods.
Remember I said Carcinogenic Free Radicals.
I suppose you believe Cell Phones/Cell Phone Towers/WiFi Broadcasters are safe?