It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten Reasons to Throw Your Microwave Out

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Also.. There's such thing as MODERATION and GREY AREA.

"Live in the woods in northern Canada and hunt for your own food and become an alchemist."

Or put pressure as an ENTIRE people to regulate the control of certain industries.

Which one sounds more reasonable to you?

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I've been eating microwaved food since I was little, and I'm fine. In fact, I'm pretty much skinny and a bit underweight for my age. However, I do remember seeing a topic here on ATS where someone did a test and watered one plant with microwaved water, and another plant with boiled water.

The plant recieving microwaved water died, and the plant recieving boiled water was healthy.

[edit on 10/15/2007 by Hyzera]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Hyzera

Oooh! You jogged my memory.

See what using microwaved water can do

A rich resource on-site on the harmful effects of plastic leachates.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

It's very apparent you swung and missed at the point of my post.

What are you doing to make a difference?

That's the point of my post.

People go on the internet, this site especially, and post all these theories about what is contaminated and what is dangerous to your health and so on. The point of my post is, what ISN'T contaminated or dangerous? What DOESN'T have the possibility of being bad for your health?

NONE of you are going to give up all the electronics in your house. NONE of you are going to stock your shelves with green products that were never sprayed down with pesticides. NONE of you are going to go pump pure natural water to drink. So you're ALL at risk.

Picking and choosing what you're going to bitch about and what you're not going to bitch about is very hypocritical.

It's all about convenience, and you don't even know it.

Here's an example -

You seem like you're up on your health and you're alert about what is good and what isn't - to an extent.

So if I asked you - should I drink water or alcohol to be more healthy?

You'd probably say water, as I'm sure you'd drink water over alcohol as well if you were trying to live healthy.

So then, at that point, it opens another question - are you going to go pump your water from some natural, pure, untouched spring in a remote area of the planet? Or are you going to walk to your kitchen sink and fill up a glass?

You'll probably go to your kitchen sink because it's more CONVENIENT than trying to find some untouched natural spring.

That's my point. You can complain about this and that, and say that people do things for convenience rather than their health, but you'd rather walk to your kitchen right now to fill up a glass of fluoridated water, instead of finding an untouched clean source of water, because it's more convenient.

You're only being a hypocrite at that point.

So you people need to decide what you're going to do about this problem, you need to create a list of all problem products, which is just about everything, and you need to solidify your cause by throwing out all your electronics and living off the land and fending for yourself.

Until all of you do all of that, then you're NOT doing all you can to protect yourselves and the generations to come.

Given that, the only difference between you and I is, you may only die of a single problem, whereas I'll die of multiple problems. In the end, we're both dead, because this world is screwed no matter what. In the end, you put up an effort to make change that was impossible, and I lived a life without stress.

So what ever your preference, I support you. But don't act as if you're doing, or you've done, everything in your power, and everything possible, to do the things you hope and wish to do, when you know that in truth, you haven't.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by paul76
reply to post by AGENT_T

I once put a steak N kidney pie into the Microwave and it was still in it's foil case I was amazed when I returned to find that parts of the foil and actually combusted and just vanished. That didn't deter me from eating my lovely Pukka pie and as I took a bite out of the pie I recoiled in disgust, the pie tasted like the melted foil, it was disgusting.

See thats why people shouldn't use microwaves. Adam and Eve didn't use one and they lived to be (around) 929-930 years old.

[edit on 10/15/2007 by Leyla]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
reply to post by Tom Bedlam

I'm glad you're breaking out the heavy artillery in defense of the Microwave ovens... I agree that heat is heat all of that but after 115 degrees fahrenheit all foods lose a majority of nutrients. Losing more nutrients exponentially in correlation with temperature increase....

The way they prepare the food is the same way we all do. We steam vegetables and fry or broil our meat. They are then frozen, creating more stress on any living nutrients and anti-oxidents. They are packaged in plastics and kept frozen until they hit the store. You then take them home and microwave them hot and serve. Although the heat is created with radio waves, they still heat to a certain temperature further eliminating any nutritional value it may have had.

I can't comment on the wonderful flavor or general quality of food for a microwave - I generally only use it to reheat leftovers if I'm in a hurry. I'm not at all saying it's a culinary tool for preparing haute cuisine - it's not - and I don't normally use one to prepare meals. But not because it's going to irradiate me with "AC microwaves", it's because the food is nasty tasting cooked that way.

Actually the only legitimate health concern I have with them is that they do leak, and you need to check them. I don't want one of the "microwave-in-a-range-hood" types, because I don't want the seals at my eye level where I'm cooking. Microwave ovens can give you cataracts. You also don't want the door at the kids' eye levels for the same reason, and you want to get a cheap leak detector and use it occasionally.

About the only thing I'd disagree with here is that the nutrients aren't "living" anymore by the time they're in the package. A better choice might be "fragile" or "easily damaged".

Freezing foods, if done right, is one of the best ways of preserving their nutrient value, though, and I don't have any issues with it.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leyla
Adam and Eve didn't use one and they lived to be (around) 929-930 years old.

The Neanderthals didn't use one either and they lived to be in their 20's.

So I guess I fail to see your point, given the lack of scientific evidence that Adam and Eve even existed.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by anhinga

Agreed on those points. Although, you could use the stovetop to re-heat said items just as easy and it won't change the molecular structure of your food!

Sure it will. That's what cooking does. In fact, it's the very same changes. All that stuff I haven't hit yet "isomerizing" amino acids and the like are the EXACT same changes that cooking with ANY form of heat causes.

Sorry to disagree w/ you Mr Bedlam, I see you know all the technical aspects of the microwave (what's your forte? Engineering, I assume),

Not only engineering, my specialty is comm theory - I design radar systems at times, although for some reason I end up doing mostly digital stuff.

I just can't hang w/ them and refuse to try "nuking" food.... I grew up in a "raw foods" environment and like it that way, I've been around holistic doctors who swear against them and the few articles I provided are enough info personally.

The raw vs cooked thing is a different argument - just understand that any cooking is cooking, with minor variations, such as flame broiling causing localized hot spots on the surface. The articles you posted are mostly technically inaccurate in the same way as that external you posted. If your holistic doctors are basing their decisions on erroneous data (and most doctors I know can't format a floppy), then they are making bad choices based on bogus information. Not a good thing in a healthcare professional.

Any web search of this topic will have the same, heated, two-sided debate. So, IMO, agree to disagree and the case remains open. . . .

We'll have to - but while I can at least honor a raw food decision, know that the sources you put up are in general just wrong as it relates to microwaves and radio phenomena in general, so any other valid points it may have buried up in there are sort of hard to believe IMO, given that the main points they're trying to make are based on inaccuracies.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by hlesterjerome
For the record, the following is a description of how microwave ovens actually do their magic:

When the magnetron is switched on, the nuclear particles (protons and neutrons) in the molecules of yer food absorb the microwave energy. This causes the nuclear particles to “jump” up to higher energy levels.

In nature, “stuff” always try’s to move to their lowest energy state, so…

…when the magnetron switches off, the nuclear particles that are at higher energy levels start to collapse to lower energy states.

I know you see this here and there, but it's actually not true in general, and you've got an error specifically.

First, what you're talking about are quantum transition frequencies, wherein the electrons (not neutrons and protons) assume a higher energy state, and re-radiate photons as they drop back to ground state.

That doesn't happen in a microwave, because there's not enough energy at the frequency a microwave oven uses to cause an electron transition. Instead, it couples to a quantum-of-momentum transition, which in this case is a spin coupling of the water molecule. There are others, such as rocking, scissoring etc that all have their own little energy levels. You can find out more about that by looking up "microwave spectroscopy" or "dielectric heating" which deal with this set of phenomena.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyzera
I've been eating microwaved food since I was little, and I'm fine. In fact, I'm pretty much skinny and a bit underweight for my age. However, I do remember seeing a topic here on ATS where someone did a test and watered one plant with microwaved water, and another plant with boiled water.

The plant recieving microwaved water died, and the plant recieving boiled water was healthy.

[edit on 10/15/2007 by Hyzera]

That had to be the worst conceived and executed experiment in history. The "experiment" was done by a school kid, who should have gotten an F for it in any science fair beyond Podunk, Iowa.

But it became instant microwave oven meme, because most people can't look at it and say basic things like "One sample? No blinding? No controls? No data on what you did as a protocol?"

I give you the immediately obvious questions you should ask, and a counter-example.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
To the OP:

I would believe Tom Bedlam over a holistic doctor any day of the week. He's trained in, and actually UNDERSTANDS, the science behind microwave technology.

Earlier you had said that everyone was "angry" over your posts. There has been no anger here that I can see, except perhaps your own at our not accepting the information in this thread.

All we're trying to do is get you to understand and use critical thinking when researching topics such as this one. And one of the first things that need to be considered when doing research such as this, is to consider where the information came from.

Information is not equal -- the source of the information can determine whether it is real information or misinformation.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
No problem dude, but I WON'T trust a guy on a conspiracy website over a couple of holistic friends/doctors I've known my ENTIRE life. Sorry....

...anyway, not getting angry, glad information is flowing and I expect a heated-debate about the topic.

Personally, w/ the advent of microwaves and SUGAR in everything, the overweight issue, at least in the U.S. is out of control. I have to BLAME something for it and cheap, fast food is one of the culprits.

The stats are incredible and stick in my mind, can't help that, 127 million. That's staggering, I wonder what's the next country, percentage-wise in this disease that is afflicting almost HALF the POPULATION of the U.S. !!!?!?!?

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Bedlam
reply to post by anhinga

I haven't gone over the links in depth but most of this is pure junk, sad to say.

From your quote, it looks like the usual uninformed microwave bashing with the usual faux experts, although I've no doubt they'll ring in the former medical director of Lapland.

It doesn't take much to understand that a Microwave isn't healthy for you when you consider how the food is being cooked and what microwaves do on molecular level (which is where it's unhealthy).

Edit: Carcinogenic Free Radicals.

[edit on 10/15/2007 by Masisoar]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Except that's garbage. It's being cooked by heat, and the heat comes from exciting water molecules with a spin couple.

Hint: any sort of heat with a temperature high enough to "cook" forms free radicals.

Hell, for that matter, your mitochondria are creating them by the billions, even as you read this.

Edit:
A question to ask yourself - what's the half-life of a free radical? Their very danger is in their reactivity. How long do you think they last? Do you think they'll be there by the time you get ready to eat the food? By the time it makes it through your stomach?

[edit on 15-10-2007 by Tom Bedlam]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Bedlam
Except that's garbage. It's being cooked by heat, and the heat comes from exciting water molecules with a spin couple.

Hint: any sort of heat with a temperature high enough to "cook" forms free radicals.

Hell, for that matter, your mitochondria are creating them by the billions, even as you read this.

Yes but food contains cells (meats and plants atleast) and microwaves have an altering affect to the food on a microscopic level. It's mutates the cells to sometimes become toxic but when consumed over time, can be deadly, maybe not immediately, due to the build up in your system. How does your body react to things that become altered by harmful ray? I suppose Gamma Waves aren't over time harmful to humans. The same applies with food and microwaves. It's very very unhealthy (long term) to consume microwaved foods.

Remember I said Carcinogenic Free Radicals.

I suppose you believe Cell Phones/Cell Phone Towers/WiFi Broadcasters are safe?

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masisoar

Yes but food contains cells (meats and plants atleast) and microwaves have an altering affect to the food on a microscopic level. It's mutates the cells to sometimes become toxic but when consumed over time, can be deadly, maybe not immediately, due to the build up in your system.

Whoa, pardner. Let's think about that one.

Yes, dead food contains cells, unless it's a Twinkie or Peeps or something that comes straight from a lab.

But here's the kicker. Those cells are dead. They are ex-cells. They're not going to mutate any more than my doorknob.

Further, cooking is a process by which you break down most of that cellular structure and modify just a ton of those chemical compounds that are in the cells. That's what cooking does. The cells lyse. The fibers break down. The proteins become shorter, the oils come out, and as the king of Siam once said etcetera etcetera etcetera.

What did you think was going on when you cooked something? You're breaking a lot of the longer, more structured chemicals down into shorter ones. You're denaturing the proteins.

And after all, that's also what happens when you EAT it. What goes on in your stomach and intestines? Lots and LOTS of complex chemical reactions to shatter the chemical structures of the food into very simple ones.

How does your body react to things that become altered by harmful ray? I suppose Gamma Waves aren't over time harmful to humans.

Well, it's not gamma radiation, but you win a peanut for at least keeping it in the electromagnetic spectrum. Ok, this is from back several posts. You're not eating the food and then crawling in a reactor to cook it inside yourself. The FOOD is what's being cooked, not you. Once the microwave goes off, the waves are one with yesterday's snows. They don't hang around in the food. This is the tripe that the OP's external was saying about "energies in the food". I'm not dogging you personally but it shows you haven't thought it through.

The same applies with food and microwaves. It's very very unhealthy (long term) to consume microwaved foods.

Remember I said Carcinogenic Free Radicals.

Yes, and I asked you what you thought the half-life of a free radical was.

Did you know that the half-life of the hydroxyl free radical, the most likely one you'll get here, is 10E-9 seconds? That's a billionth of a second. I usually have to blow on it a few times, which will give all of them time to be gone.

edit: Remember that any oxidative process in a biological system is producing free radicals. When you cut an apple and it browns: free radicals. When you heat oil on your stove (or over a campfire if that's more natural) and you're not doing it under an argon blanket or something, you're producing free radicals in the oil. If you heat the oil hot enough to smoke, LOTS and LOTS of free radicals. When you fry food in it: free radicals. When you cut potatoes and they brown: free radicals.

I could go on but maybe just maybe you get the picture. Any cooking process, or oxidizing process in foods, does this. That's why you can keep apples from browning by squeezing a lemon on them, btw, the vitamin C acts as an anti-oxidant. If you mix a vitamin E capsule and some lemon juice and put it on there, it will stay unbrowned for a LONG time - the E oxidizes instead of the apple, the C restores the E. It's the way it works in your body. That's why you have anti-oxidants and enzymes like SOD.

I suppose you believe Cell Phones/Cell Phone Towers/WiFi Broadcasters are safe?

No, no, they're all a big plot to contaminate our precious bodily fluids.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Tom Bedlam

Microwave like any other invention that is use for the consumption of human food is something that I do not trust as safe for my body.

Still I have a microwave but you will not catch me cooking any of delicious home made meals in it.

When it comes to natural food and cooking, microwave doesn't fall on any of these two categories.

Still I like to see my matching kitchen appliance sitting on my counter.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Tom Bedlam said,"bullpuckey"!

Seriously Tom, thanks for the insights. I have known for a long time that I didn't agree with all the "bullpuckey" being bandied about regarding the satanic microwave... I just didn't have enough smarts to put it all together.

I don't feel quite so bad about my popcorn now.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Even if there was evidence for these claims, which I doubt, the microwave is still way too convenient. I mean you can bring up this argument for just about anything. Cell phones will give you brain damage, eating anything not 100% natural will give you cancer, etc. Welcome to modern society people. Feel free to have your paranoia lead you back to the stone age.

On a side note, I just use the microwave to quickly warm up leftovers, not to actually cook food. But that's just because I like to cook!

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

I'm really not going to spell it out for you since Coma and I have given you enough sources to read and take knowledge away from that. Don't disagree or try to come at me. Look back at your lazy, uneducated post and get back to me.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join