It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Moon Picture from Japanese Orbiter

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Zorgon, I encourage you to mortgage your possessions and provide some money for the John's telescope purchase. I can't believe you chose to stay on the sidelines when we are about to contribute to earth-shattering discoveries!

Now, the stars... Well, you chose a really faint object in that pic, the aurora... Can't compare that to the Sun or even the Earth in space, it's orders of magnitude different.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Now, the stars... Well, you chose a really faint object in that pic, the aurora... Can't compare that to the Sun or even the Earth in space, it's orders of magnitude different.

Your missing the point... but that's not surprising... and for a Physicist you sure have a lot of free time on your hands
Mayhaps a disinfo agent?

As to the scope... we already put in a reserve on time at a 72 inch in Bulgaria... seems the person handling that has vanished...

And if I was going to mortgage for a project it will be to finish our anti gravity ship

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

ME?! A thread 'policeman'? (you wrote 'policemen', guessing that was a typo). Seriously, what I wrote re: the thread had nothing to do with Zorgon's posts. Honest. I just thought this thread was about pictures from the Japanese orbiter. AND, no, I don't have any to post, I want to see what OTHERS post...

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Don't know if anybody saw this or not:

Crappy YouTube HD (lol) video

I was going to look up the high res version but I am too lazy. Can't wait for more of this information to come down the pike...

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Thanks for that link, ITF

Saw a piece of it on CNN this PM. SO, the Japanese orbiter is pole to pole? Makes sense, that way they'll be able over course of time to photograph all of the surface as the Moon rotates about its axis.

Brilliant!

Cheers

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
www.clep.org.cn...
I want to let everyone read something that NASA has already said, and now China is saying the same thing, this has a lot to do with Selene so please read this.

To meet the requirement of high image resolution: The orbit is kept within 100-200km.

To meet the requirement of one-year lifetime: Considering the abnormality of the lunar gravity field, Chang’e-1 may fall on the lunar surface within half a year if a 100km orbit is selected, so a 200km orbit is selected for Chang’e-1 if it does not conduct special probe for lunar gravity field

So why did China opt for a different orbit then the Japanese? We all know that Selene is in a 100km orbit which is the minimum that the Chinese would allow. I know that the Selene has thrusters to correct orbit problems, but why didn't they play it safe and go at a higher altitude?

I mentioned this earlier on in this thread but it didn't really create that much of a stir. I hope the info from the Chinese makes you think about what the Japanese are doing.

I can't wait to compare the pics from the Chinese to see if they are better then the Japanese. For some reason I think this will happen, and it will happen from an orbit that is twice as high. I thought I would share this with you all since it is factual info.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by NJ Mooch
I thought I would share this with you all since it is factual info.

LOL "Factual' info usually gets 'missed' around here. Thanks for the tips I will study that...

Funny though no comments on the latest picture? Everyone just takes it for granted that its the real thing? No one can see what's wrong here?

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I just watched my first earth set, awesome stuff. Here are some links to a few videos from the moon of earth.

Earth-rise

Earth-set

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Maybe everyone can see what is wrong and that is why they make no comments.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Maybe everyone can see what is wrong and that is why they make no comments.

That's why we love you so much ArMaP Right to the point

So why are you in a dark mood in Portugal? Snowing yet?

[edit on 14-11-2007 by zorgon]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I guess I am a dark mood optimist, whatever that may be.

And I have never seen snowing.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WeAreOne

Those two links you posted show graphic representations of the satellite near the Moon. They are not real pics, but if anyone thinks they are, who took them?

Zorgon, i'm hoping that nobody thought those were real pics since I just stated a very obvious reason above. For some reason I feel that I missed something, but if it deals with those graphics I don't want to know.

So any ideas about the differences in altitude? You know that the Chinese satellite should be going slower since it is further away. Will that give them a better surface scan then the faster Japanese satellite that is 50% closer to the surface? Which is more important for taking pics, the distance from the target or the length of time the object is in focus?

You should also remember that the Chinese are taking before and after pics of the same location to make a 3D model of the surface along with the other equipment they have onboard. Is Selene doing the same?

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by NJ Mooch
Zorgon, i'm hoping that nobody thought those were real pics since I just stated a very obvious reason above.

They're not?
I thought the Chinese took them? No?

Which is more important for taking pics, the distance from the target or the length of time the object is in focus?

The longer you see it the more detail. I think Selene is taking tourist pictures to cover other 'mission objectives'

[edit on 14-11-2007 by zorgon]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
And I have never seen snowing.

That is sad... no wonder your 'dark' And your just a train ride from the best skiing in the world

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I looked at the HD vids today and while I am very thrilled to see new moon images, they are indeed made for the Internet. I'd like to see the original vids on a 60 inch HD plasma.

But, what I'm really wondering is why did jaxa not put a nice new camera on-board to take high-res still pics, perhaps with resolution down to the size of a card table. Not to cater to "us" of course, but I would think at a minimum it would be interesting for the scientific community to compare old LO pics with new pics to determine any changes on the lunar landscape since the 60's.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
So don't we have tracking stations that can 'tune in' to that live feed HD TV? Surely all those tax dollars must have got us something by now?

I still wonder why both Japan and China are giving such long delays before releasing images

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

I still wonder why both Japan and China are giving such long delays before releasing images

Perhaps they both have consulted with, and have taken advice from the folks that got there first (or second, or third)... In any case, we're all in the same club now

[edit on 15-11-2007 by Zarniwoop]

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

I've read more than the first half of this thread, but skipped to the end to say one thing in regard to the size of the image of the moon in the first picture linked to in the thread. The caption says that the picture was taken from 500 miles out, approximately. I believe that the image was taken from further away, possibly more than 1000 miles out.

The reason being that I don't think the camera used had an extreme wide angle lens. From other posts I gather that the camera in question was a sort of utility camera used to monitor the satellite itself.

The following link describes a lens that Canon says is the widest angle lens in the world:

www.absolutedigi.com...

The maximum angle of view of this lens is 101 degrees. I did a very simple experiment using post it note paper to determine that if a lens with an angle of view of 90 degrees were to have been used in the first photo, the camera would have to be around 1000 miles from the moon to get the whole moon in the shot.

Looking at photo 1, if you take the black sky portion of the photo and add it to the opposite side of the moon in the photo, I believe it would extend just beyond the "circle" of the moon if it were drawn in, i.e., if the camera were pointed at the middle of the moon, the whole moon would be within the frame. That could not be done with a typical lens and would require a wide angle of 90 degrees and a distance of about 1000 miles.

At 500 miles from the surface, a camera with a 90 degree angle of view, pointed at the "center" of the moon would not be able to see the edges. Just my two cents worth.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
UPDATE:
Press release
November 16, 2007 (JST)
Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)

KAGUYA (SELENE)
Observation by Terrain Camera (TC)
and Multi-band Imager (MI)

A Comparison between the KAGUYA TC image and the Clementine image

You can see the comparison between the image taken by the KAGUYA TC cut out from the TC's first image data (the area encircled by the yellow dot square) and the image shot by the high aerial resolution camera onboard the Clementine Satellite. In the TC camera image, you can see that the smaller craters (10-90 meters in size) and the minute structure of the inside of a crater.

www.jaxa.jp...

www.jaxa.jp...

Heck, are they maybe following this thread ?

[edit on 17/11/2007 by internos]

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

Finally some photos from other cameras!

Thanks, internos.

Edit: I noticed that these images do not have the NHK copyright, so maybe we can get good photos published soon.

[edit on 17/11/2007 by ArMaP]

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join