It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Moon Picture from Japanese Orbiter

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

What area of the moon are we looking at in the video?

According to the text at the jaxa site that crater is Repsold, (link in internos's post)

I was trying to find a comparative image at LPI but no luck I am afraid.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

Thanks internos, that helped!

Guess it may not be a road after all...

And these structures are probably just craters, but, oh well, very nice anyway!

Edit to add: And thanks to you also Sherpa!

Repsold!? Could that be where the Reptilians have their base?
(jk)

[edit on 7-11-2007 by goosdawg]

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

Is that lower arrow pointing to a square building with a guard light in the yard? What do we have, a lunar hay barn?

I keep seeing things like that I may have to ring John Lear up and tell him I give in.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   

KAGUYA (SELENE)
World’s First Image Taking of the Moon by HDTV

November 7, 2007 (JST)
Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)
NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation)

The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation) have successfully performed the world's first high-definition image taking by the lunar explorer "KAGUYA" (SELENE,) which was injected into a lunar orbit at an altitude of about 100 km on October 18, 2007, (Japan Standard Time. Following times and dates are all JST.)

The image shooting was carried out by the onboard high definition television (HDTV) of the KAGUYA, and it is the world's first high definition image data acquisition of the Moon from an altitude about 100 kilometers away from the Moon.

The image taking was performed twice on October 31. Both were eight-fold speed intermittent shooting (eight minutes is converged to one minute.) The first shooting covered from the northern area of the "Oceanus Procellarum" toward the center of the North Pole, then the second one was from the south to the north on the western side of the "Oceanus Procellarum." The moving image data acquired by the KAGUYA was received at the JAXA Usuda Deep Space Center, and processed by NHK.

The satellite was confirmed to be in good health through telemetry data received at the Usuda station

www.jaxa.jp...

Approximately:

Video part # 1:

Video part # 2:

if i'm correct, approx. ,

Of course there should be something to correct

[edit on 7/11/2007 by internos]

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Snipped this out of the source code

Easier to d/l for those having trouble saving a copy

20071107_kaguya.swf

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Press Release update:

The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation) have successfully performed the world's first high-definition image taking of an Earth-rise* by the lunar explorer "KAGUYA" (SELENE,) which was injected into a lunar orbit at an altitude of about 100 km on October 18, 2007 (Japan Standard Time. Following times and dates are all JST.)

Source

Moving image shot from HDTV camera is also on site

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   
very real, very cool. about time we got a new pic of the moon. it looks nice and calm as it should be. will be waiting for more pics.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   
OMG

Looking at those images .... i didnt read the posters comments i just looked at the pics first .....

first impressions were that looks like CGI

after reading the comments .....

if they are real hi res pics of earth then damn .... it still looks like CGI

is it just me or do others think the same? it looks like something out of a computer game!

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Sorry, double posted

[edit on 13/11/2007 by internos]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Internos you have double posted. look a couple of posts above the update is already there.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by sherpa

Sorry sherpa, i didn't notice it was already there

[edit on 13/11/2007 by internos]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   

No problem internos I know your like a bullet out of a gun.

Actually your post was presented better than mine anyway.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by sherpa
Internos you have double posted. look a couple of posts above the update is already there.

LOL Great work both of you your right on top of it!

Here is the direct link to the video

www.jaxa.jp...

Now I watched it closely Very pretty Earth...

Would someone please explain to me why the shadows on the Moon stay static as the spacecraft moves over the surface?

There is absolutely NO CHANGE in the shadows, even though the spacecraft moves closer to the terminator... there is no change in length

[edit on 13-11-2007 by zorgon]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by scepticsRus
is it just me or do others think the same? it looks like something out of a computer game!

They don't look right do they? The texture of the moon looks wrong... but the shadows... there is no change and as the sketch shows the angle there should be a change in shadow angle as it moves

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I noticed that too but I explained it to myself by considering the light source to be the sun.

In my perception the shadows would only change if either the sun or the moon changed their relative positions.

If the light was being provided by Kaguya than the shadows would change.

By all means correct me if I am wrong that does happen from time to time unfortunately.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by sherpa
I noticed that too but I explained it to myself by considering the light source to be the sun.

Yes I thought of that too but in the diagram the ship moves over the top (in the image) to catch the Earth rise. Would not the shadows be longer at the top as it approaches the terminator than they would at the image right were there would be no shadow as the sun is direct?

But I see no evidence of different lengths of shadows

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yes I see what you mean, as the light from the sun hits the moons topology at a more oblique angle approaching the terminater the shadows should lengthen.

Hm..this has got to be basic physics here I think the only way we can prove this is with a light source and simulated moon maybe a golf or tennis ball with something stuck on it to simulate an irregularity in surface height.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
hi all

nothing looks wierd to me, nor am i seeing any of the structures or poor attempts to hide them in the images(as much as i'd like to). maybe, if it looks wierd to you, it's because we've seldom(or never?) seen the surface of the moon with such clarity.

if the earth is cgi, let's look at the cloud patterns and see if they move properly once we get more images or movies. i don't think it's cgi. i think we just don't have a proper frame of reference to analyze the image because we've never seen anything like this with such resolution.

many of you are far more learned in the moon structures than i. have the current images displayed any of the areas thought to contain the various structures discussed in the Lear moon pictures thread?

jimbo

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jamestkirk

What we are seeing is not Hi-definition footage, the original data has been compressed down to a managable size for easy display on the website.

That is why the images are so pixely, (is that a word ?), and full of compression artifacts.

I think we are going to have to wait a lot longer for the real Hi-Def footage and I don't know how it can be easily distributed considering the size of the data.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnlear
Thanks for the post NJMooch. The reason that all camera satellites assume elliptical orbits (such as Lunar Orbiter, Luna, Zond and others) is because the moons gravity is 64% that of earths.

What does elliptic shape of any craft's orbit have to do with the planet's gravity?

To maintain a circular orbit in 64% of earths gravity you would have to orbit around 60 to 70 miles as did the Apollo spacecraft.

Somebody aleady mentioned that there is no logic or merit in that statement, however let me go one step further. The 60 mile number you like to quote so much as if it reveals something unusual (which it doesn't) doesn't come by itself, it comes together with the orbital period (the time it takes to complete an orbit). Now, this time is known to be about 2hrs, give or take.

Using the laws of mechanics, it is now easy to calculate the mass of the Moon based on these parameters. The centrifugal force must be equal to the force of gravity for the craft to remain in orbit, and so:

g*M/R^2=(2*pi/T)^2*R, where g is the gravitational constant,
M is the mass of the Moon, T is the period, and R is the radius of the orbit.
Pi is 3.1415926535.

You can use this equation in different ways. For example, you can calculate the mass of the Moon based on other parameters in it. If you plug in all the numbers, you will get the value of 7 plus change times 10^22 kg, which is indeed the known value of the Moon's mass. It is consistent with the gravity on the Moon's surface being 1/6 of the Earth's.

This proves in yet another way that the Moon's gravity is 1/6th of the Earth's and not 64% of it, as John Lear continues to erroneously claim.

If the moon really had one sixth gravity of earth you would be able to maintain a circular orbit at 15 or 20 miles above the surface of the moon depending on the weight of your spacecraft.

As already commented by others, there is no dependence on the mass of the craft at all in this problem. Hence, this statement of yours is equally without merit.

[edit on 13-11-2007 by buddhasystem]

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join