It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now Bumblebees are vanishing as well

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This is absolutely INTOLERABLE! I will not stand for the extinction of the bumblebee, it will not happen while I'm still alive...that is certain.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dntwastetime

I'm happy that Thailand is fighting Monsanto's GMO products tooth and nail. Malaysia gets a lot of it's agricultural products from the Thais. I'm just worried our weak Prime Minister Badawi will cave in to Monsanto, especially since the Ninth Malaysia Plan focusses on agriculture, and historically Malaysia has always bent over for MNCs. Local news is highly regulated by the government so I can't tell if there are GM crops in the country or not.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Scary stuff. When I read the thread earlier this year, I thought it was bunk. When I think about it, though, I really haven't seen hardly any bees this year. There has to be bees somewhere though, we still have fruits in the grocery store and my father-in-law's grapevines were jam packed.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I'll say one thing. If the bees go we go. I hope entemologists will pick up the pace and either bioengineer a resistant bee species or find a cure. Why Einstein would even postulate about the demise of humanity if bees went belly up in the 50's is a scary mystery to me. I'm with 'Phantom' on this one, putting on my killer bee costume now.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueTriangle

Although bees are a major pollinator, they aren't the only pollinator out there. So the situation isn't completely lost.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Well thank God for countrys who hate the NWO murder plan! I will expose this over, and over until they kill me for it, and believe me I could not find a better reason to die than to save my mother Earth and her children from greed and the egos need for "gimme it all".Me Me Me!,Ill fight to kill that. ,Till then....

don't waste time

[edit on 11-10-2007 by dntwastetime]

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dntwastetime
Well thank God for countrys who hate the NWO murder plan!

Thing is, while the Thai farmers are very much against GM crops and the populace is sceptical at best, the government is a different story.

GM Thai rice on sale soon?

A biotechnology boom will soon hit Thailand as the authorities move towards removing a ban on the field testing of biotech products, according to a new report.

If, as expected, the ban is removed, Thailand will be able to develop a national biosafety framework that will give the country a competitive edge against other regions in Asia, the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) report said.

"Until the ban on field trials is removed, Thailand risks being at a disadvantage from neighbouring countries," said Sakchai Preechajarn, who prepared the report.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Thankfully Thai media doesn't seem to be as controlled as it is in my country, south of Thailand. I'm hoping beyond hope the measures fail, because if it passes, Mosanto won't waste any time. They've been waiting since the year 2000.

Thailand doesn't need GM crops to be competitive. The Malaysian "King of Fruits" is the durian. The best durian comes from Thailand. That says a lot.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Bedlam
reply to post by BlackProjects

Heck, I haven't even seen yellow jackets and they're a wasp.

You're lucky. In Toronto we've had an explosion of the Yellow Jacket population. I've been stung a couple times. There were literally dozens of them in my backyard at all times even after dark! Only saw a few bee's as well. Very worrying trend..

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Here in Montana I'm normally plagued by Yellow Jackets, I fight them continuously. Every year I have a nest or three on my property. But this year none. As a matter of fact I can probably count the number of wasps I've seen this summer on two hands. Bumblebee's used to be numerous here, but now practically non-existent.

[edit on 11-10-2007 by TheHorseChestnut]

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   
More info on the bumblebee disappearence on Earthfiles

www.earthfiles.com...

With a warning concerning next years pollination

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackProjects

So, could it be that "indigenous" bumblebees are being the victims of lack of control of the imported bumblebees?

And one thing I noticed was that they say that about half of the bees in the US are moved to California during the pollination of the almond trees. Could it be that that journey to California did something to the bees from other parts of the country? It could be possible, if something affected the bees from a place, then next time they would have to use bees from another, and after some time all the bees may be affected by the same thing that affected the first bees.

If it is something in California, then, if it is a natural thing, it is possible that the California bees are not affected.

Does anyone know if this problem is affecting California?

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Another theory would be either low or high frequency transmissions which I know is common place in the world today.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The bees have been talked about before, it was a while back I know, but this isn't new.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
google Colony Collapse Disorder

Best thing I heard is the genetically modified corn, it doesn't have HIV exactly, but it is made to break immune systems of bugs.

Also this thing appeared 2 months after the genome for the honey bee was released. It is possible it is a genetically targeted virus.
www.hgsc.bcm.tmc.edu...

[edit on 14-10-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redge777
Best thing I heard is the genetically modified corn
That is sure possible, but if that is the only reason then there must be a crop of GM corn in each of the places from where the bees disappeared.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
As far as the Eintein quote on straightdope.com they said they can't find a source for that quote before 1994 after he was deceased. The five year implication sure fits nicely with the 2012 dateline, though.

I was watching something on discovery channel yesterday and they said the modified corn was accidently mixed with regular corn in a silo, mixing into the public. They said about 1/3 of the people eating it had allergic reaction.

They also said 85% of our soy products were genetically modified.

I hesitate now to eat healthy because that has become an oxymoron when the fruit and vegetables are what is effected. They also mentioned how the pollen can shake of a corn stalk and cross polinate therefore corrupting the straight crop with their laboratory concoction.

I think it is a no brainer that this is the crux of the bee's demise. If they are creating seeds with pesticides inherent in them, well what does that do to other life forms? At the minimum I would expect immune system issues.

Don't waste time. I hear you and feel the passion you feel about this. Not only are we what we eat, we are what are food eats. I believe our food is killing us, too.

We were warned a year ago to buy seeds to grow before they aren't available anymore. I think I will now heed that warning.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
That is sure possible, but if that is the only reason then there must be a crop of GM corn in each of the places from where the bees disappeared.

Very good point, and that is the point that defeats the corn theory. It takes speculation to see that transfer that is not supported. Although it could have been slow to surface, so it spread to bees in bee to bee fashion, or through animal feed, or make up any method. Then it popped up 5 so years later when stressors of other parasites became wide spread.

I do find the genome and the occurrence of the disorder to be a odd coincidence.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I heard 69% of nutrition in average person is corn based, either through feed, corn syrup as sugar, or directly. A scientist did a study of the proteins in corn, and the ones in people.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
They also mentioned how the pollen can shake of a corn stalk and cross polinate therefore corrupting the straight crop with their laboratory concoction.
That is why the EU (I think it is a EU directive) says that there must be a 200 metres separation between crops with GM corn (the only GM product allowed in the EU and that only can be used to make cattle food) and "normal" crops.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
That is why the EU (I think it is a EU directive) says that there must be a 200 metres separation between crops with GM corn (the only GM product allowed in the EU and that only can be used to make cattle food) and "normal" crops.

I wonder what effect on the humans eating the beef and drinking the milk of the cattle that ingest the corn would be if any at all?

I can't help but to think that if they are eating the product then by consuming them we may also be.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join