It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now Bumblebees are vanishing as well

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 06:01 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

I know two bee keepers who one lost half of his bees and the other lost all of them. I am wondering if scope of this problem isn't larger than we are hearing.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackProjects

There's an old vanishing bee thread from earlier in the year where I posted that I hadn't seen bumblebees or wild bees this year. We had watermelons that didn't make because the bumblebees didn't pollinate them. Normally, they'd have been all over several of our plants (the kids call them bumblebee bushes) but - nothing. Nothing. You might see one a week.

I went beelining and couldn't drum up any wild bees this year to speak of. When the white clover came up you didn't have to watch out stepping on bees - there weren't any.

Heck, I haven't even seen yellow jackets and they're a wasp.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I've seen plenty this year. Maybe more than usual.
So, either this is a localized problem so far and it hasn't hit the Midwest, or this is another media event not to be taken at face value.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

BOth beekeepers I mentioned are in SW Ohio..Although not as bad as other locations it has hit the midwest to some degree.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Here in the Southern California mountains, I have seen about the usual number of bumblebees this year. On our acre of land, we have an organic garden, and a lot of flowers on an Australian Bottlebrush tree, plus more flowers on a vine which climbs an adjacent palm tree.

On the other hand, I haven't seen any yellowjackets, which is weird; but our area had a "hard freeze" in January 2007 which may have temporarily frozen out existing ground nests of yellowjackets on our hillside. Time will tell. But now that we're approaching November, there is starting to be less activity anyway from flying insects.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I live in a city with a population of about 160,000 inhabitants, some 10km from the Atlantic ocean, on the west coast of Portugal, and although it's a city that is part of a bigger area that includes Portugal's capital and that has around 1 million people, I usually see bees on the Spring when I go to work in the morning.

This year I did not saw them as usual (I like to see them align themselves to the Sun to get their bearings), but I have seen them in these last days, I even thought of making a new thread asking other people if they were back.

If some people did not noticed any difference it may have been a result of temporary and/or local conditions.

This year we did not had a hot Summer, it was the coolest Summer in many years, could it be that the bees were affected by the same thing that caused the cooler Summer? If that is the case then in those other places where they went missing there should have been similar conditions.

Following the idea in the opposite direction (if I can put it that way), the regions where the bees kept their normal life should have had some different weather.

Can anyone say something about it? Have anyone on those places where the bees disappeared noticed anything in the weather?

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Can anyone say something about it? Have anyone on those places where the bees disappeared noticed anything in the weather?

I read on the other disappearing bee threads that GM crops are to be blamed. Maybe that's true? I haven't noticed any decline in bee or wasp populations on this side of the planet (see coordinates).

[edit on 11-10-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Albert Einstein speculated that "If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe, then man would only have four years of life left." I've known that for a long time and I always notice how rare it is to see a regular pollen bee even locally. We're really pulling one over on mother nature, huh?

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
the bees must be more sick of this planet then i am because they're already leaving

do you think they would let me go with them? i could be their friend.. i could even wear a bee suit if they asked

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Its not the weather, Its DR Frankenstein.Do some reserch and you will find The bees are dying because of the GMO corn that produces a live pesticide in the corn, the baby bees eat the pollen from the corn and wander off and die.Monsanto is to blame they should hang IMO. BT corn is outlawed in some European countrys because of this. Ye the bees are ALL DEAD in Ohio . I have seen like 3 bees all year, it is so nuts.And Im really mad at the seed manipulators. The entire planet can die as long as thes scum get there get on. Food is a weapon they use against us do not forget that. That is why the seeds do not produce seeds. Our country is full of scum who could care less about the EArth.
DWT

[edit on 11-10-2007 by dntwastetime]

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by dntwastetime

Corn can't be entirely the reason, can it? I currently live in Utah and a honey bee is a rare thing around here. Corn doesn't play a big role in agriculture in Utah because of the altitude and weather. Are they using this stuff on everything?

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Dead bees and GMO corn. Here are tons of links.Look up BT corn and bees, do a google search.GMO is screwing it all up.The headless entity known as monsanto, the mega scum.If you ever run into a monsanto employee of any degree, you know what to do, rip there adz! This is all about monsanto. look up European countrys outlaw GMO corn. My name is dont waste time for a reason. Hope this helps. You know what they say to Americans while laughing? What are you going to do about it scum?!!!!! I believe we are being turned into a genetic goo. Think about it, if there is no food to eat we all die and the scum get the whole earth to themselves, there great mount olympus with all the slaves. I hope there is a hell so these scum will have a farmiliar place to call home after they intentionally destroy the Earths people and then die.

What would Jefferson do?

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by dntwastetime

But what could be the reason for the disappearance of the bees here in Portugal in the Spring and their comeback in the Autumn?

There aren't any GM crops around, only a natural park of Mediterranean/Atlantic vegetation.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
GMO is in everything, that is why the allergys are so intense.if you look into the links ,GMO BT corn is being blamed for the dissapearance by scientists ,and it aint by me. I do not know about portugal. I just wanted to throw out my reserch. I am sure Monsanto has there hand in portugal somehow someway.I cant be for sure, but the tentacles reach far.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Portugal's got fruit orchards, don't they? Maybe GM fruit trees?

Edit to add:

Originally posted by dntwastetime
I am sure Monsanto has there hand in portugal somehow someway.I cant be for sure, but the tentacles reach far.

Yeah, if you just search "vanishing" or "disappearing bees", all the main stream news sites will mention every single possibility from cellphones to virus infections but not a word about GM crops. I call that influential.

[edit on 11-10-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
If there are farmers who grow soy, corn, beans, wheat, any of these things you can bet seed manipulators have a stranglhold on the farmers.I know if you are growing a field of corn and even 1 monsanto corn plant makes its way into your field they will claim you stole monsanto corn and take your farm.It is happening all over look it up. I have stated this before on here but will again...they are growing corn with live HIV virus for testing.Can you believe this LIVE HIV IN CORN?????!!!!!!!!!
DWT

monsanto sues

HIV corn

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I think what they've found is a virus that's responsible for most of it, and there's some aggravating stress factors involving some parasites that can predispose a colony to the viral infection.

Cleaning up the parasites and introducing viral-resistant honeybees is the answer to part of the problem. That will require cross-breeding them with Australian honeybees or something along that line, which aren't susceptible.

I don't know if the honeybee issue is the same.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
You are right on Tom, the bees stomach lining is being destroyed from the gmo corn , it is allowing the virus to take over the bees imune system.I have seen that the bees are like wandering around lost , not returning to the hive. Then they just go off and die somewhere,from what I understand.
We are all doomed if this is the case. Hopefully scientists can create the bee that will be resistant to the virus. But then again we are fighting genetics with genetics when all the GD gubbermynt has to do is stop Monsanto monster, but they want everyone to die, they already have the solution canned for when we are dead. What are we going to do my Earth brothers? Sit here and take it?Well I am going strait to the window, sticking my head out and yelling"IM mad as Hell and Im not gonna take it anymore!!!!"

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Here's a link to a report that includes BOTH the GM crop and virus hypothesis:

ENVIRONMENT: Breakthrough on Mystery of Vanishing Bees

But it only talks about honey bees. No mention of bumblebees.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Thanks beach,"Bacillus thuringiensis" that is the "BT" in "BT corn, the live pesticide that is killing the bees. Were doomed ,monsanto is above our reach they will never stop the eugenics plan that is unfolding.They "want it all"Look into Kyoto treaty for world poulation reduction,and the georgia guidestones, this is tied together, the "master plan" if you will. all this global warming is so you will willingly give up your life to save the earth. Die monsanto scum!!!! DWT will fight till the death against your luciferian evil!!!! Sorry for that rant.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join