It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is google/norton/itunes a virus or monitoring structure, amongst others?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The reason for this post is that i have noticed a lot of DRM (Digital Rights Management) articles on the net in the realms of certain software programs spying on the public. Is this real? I am interested in your thoughts. I have also observed that norton products use a lot of computer resources when initiated or when in the background, also the itunes function that it accesses the store when you open it. Also google update installing stuff that I do not want? What is going on? These are three examples I have and friends have noticed.

edited for grammar and spelling

[edit on 5-10-2007 by djaybeetoo]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
This thread is purely a speculative thread. I am just intereted in the thoughts of viewers. No more no less.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Ok, iTunes maybe, but Norton most likely not. Why? Its a load of s#$%. Being in the IT industry no one that I know uses it or would recomend it, actualy we stare people away from Norton if we can. But the fact that it uses a lot of resources just means that they are bad coders. I mean I think it would be more correct to assume that MS stoped development of Longhorn as they couldnt incorperate what the Illuminati wanted in the OS in terms of being able to spy on people and take control of their PCs (No I dont think thats actualy true).

-fm

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by djaybeetoo

Dude!! What are you doing with Norton products?? Get that stuff off your PC pronto! It's total bloatware! Arghhh!

As for the other stuff you mentioned... I don't think so. Maybe iTunes, yeah. But I'm not so sure about Google Desktop apps.

You could always get a third party firewall (not the one that comes built into the OS... those suck big time) and block those apps from accessing the net unless YOU allow it.

Edit: I see someone else has also warned you against Norton. It's so true...

[edit on 6-10-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by djaybeetoo

Excellent thread, djaybeetoo

I have selfish reasons for saying that. Well, perhap's not so selfish but certainly a curiosity when you mentioned Go-gle.
More and more and more, Go-gle is bringing up "the video is no longer available".
Not older stuff, but the more cataclysmic vids, such as posted -- links from our ATS members at times. I could give examples but it's late and I'm tired -- please forgive. But some of you have noticed it disappearing from your own vid reference in threads.

So?, what's up w/ Go-gle? Are they falling under control of government factoids?

Dallas

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by funky monk
I mean I think it would be more correct to assume that MS stoped development of Longhorn as they couldnt incorperate what the Illuminati wanted in the OS in terms of being able to spy on people and take control of their PCs (No I dont think thats actualy true).
-fm

Microsoft has a black project area at the campus for the FBI, point to ponder.

The reason the data is gathered is not to go and single out one person or another, it is to analyse the noise. Societal control does not need complete acceptance of 'the story'. And in reality the actions that would be used to silence dissent, creates a downward spiral, as it wakes more people up.

Societal control comes from controlling the level of chatter, by analysing where and what people are talking about, they know what stories worked, and where they need to devote new resources. Sometime they even give concessions to lower the level of dissent.

This is the real power of the people, when they stand up and simply say "no more!", the power must concede on issues to bring the level of dissent back to a manageable level. If they only amp up spin, they hit a downward spiral. This is the power of speech.

The link in sig also shows ways they target critical thought and issolate people to handle dissent.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 02:51 AM
link   
it certainly is and what a great thread this could be. +1 Flag for potential.

at the end of the day, all technology does is increase the rate that they can control us birth to death. but take what you can get and then make more out of it. sure, they start you off slow, even after they've already taken off. but atleast they allow you to be in the race. see what you can make of it, on this planet which is so minimal in the cosmic viewpoint.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   
think about it, google is the number one source for knowledge in the now times. if they control it, they control everything. google is a total control site. it's true they have the best service but it's a tainted service.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   
All the search engines monitor what you do, where you go etc.

Go to yahoo and search for something, when you see a link, its not a direct link but a yahoo link which obviously records the site visited by yourself.

eg searching for above top secret returns
uk.wrs.yahoo.com...=A0geumfoZwdHLtkAB01LBQx.;_ylu=X3o'___'FiOTJtdWNtBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1VLMDI2N18yNjcEbANXUzE-/SIG=11ifqe6q 3/EXP=1191754088/**http%3A//www.abovetopsecret.com/

as its 1st result.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Thanks for the comments.

For the record I ditched norton products some time ago. The reason I mentioned it, is that was preinstalled along with AOL on a friends new laptop, which I thought was odd. I found out a lond time ago that AOL is a pain in the backside to remove totally from a computer, as here in the UK most people use different ISP's.

I have also noticed a trend in youtube and google video censorship, not intellectual property rights issues, but content issues such as news reports about situations the powers that be want to supress.

I am interested to hear others opinions about these matters as I am seeing a progression in the supression of the sources of knowledge.

Will Internet Mk.2 and Net Neutrality further supress freedom to access information and freedom of speech? Any comments on any of these issues are greatly appreciated.

[edit on 6-10-2007 by djaybeetoo]

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
No one should use anti-virus. If you don't know the files in system32 folder well enough you don't need a computer. Download process explorer. Check for virus processes at each start-up. If found, disable, search process, and remove, remove reg string. Any anti-virus or "real time" protection just annoys YOU and consumes allot of processor resources. Don't download and/or execute ANY suspicious .exe, use gmail, use mozilla/opera and your FINE. PERIOD. Seriously guys.... I haven't had a virus since '96 using this method, when proc explorer/gmail came along it just made it that easier.

[edit on 6-10-2007 by 1337cshacker]

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Thats just stupid, 90% of people who have a computer dont even know there is a system folder.

You couldnt be more wrong, everyone should use an AV and firewall. Telling people not to use a computer because they arent geeks isnt the answer.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
Thats just stupid, 90% of people who have a computer dont even know there is a system folder.

You couldnt be more wrong, everyone should use an AV and firewall. Telling people not to use a computer because they arent geeks isnt the answer.

Ya it is the answer. People need to take a FREAKIN class before buying a pc, no, building a PC. By your stats, 90% of people don't need a computer.

No, I'm not wrong. YOUR wrong.

Firewall should be used by installing a physical router w/ firewall or having stand alone physical firewall at neck of network. Not software firewall, win firewall is all you need at software level. AV isn't worth the 5 seconds it takes to DL, neither is any firewall.

don't # with me right now.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
You really have no clue, people want computers for ease of use, to do a bit of surfing, check the email etc

Not everyone wants to be a geek like you.

If you knew anything, youd know a router doesnt stop any trojans or or programs phoning home.

I have a router, AV and firewall, everyone should have an AV and firewall because the vast majority are not interested in becoming a geek.

Something like 85% of people use IE, that should tell you everyone people dont know jack # so they need all the help they can get.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
If you knew anything, youd know a router doesnt stop any trojans or or programs phoning home.

No freakin # Shurlock. If I am anyone who DOES KNOW I know it closes ports unless specified, NEVER did I say it blocks viruses, now thats just noob, but anyone who knows anything can use a port sniff. Most physical firewalls have anti-smurf, software like your noob virus scanners and real timers can't give you this. My virus technique is proc explorer, and common knowledge.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   
is google/norton/itunes a virus or monitoring structure

A virus? Very doubtful, as for monitoring software, that depends on your definition. Read google's privacy policy and they will admit they track where you go, and store it for a certain period of time. With regards to Itunes, I doubt they are part of any vast monitoring scheme, mainly for the reason that their business and hundreds of millions of dollars would be at stake if caught.

But there are countless thousands pieces of software/virus/trojans that can and do track your movements, keys you type in, and browser stats. If the government wanted to distribute some nefarious piece of monitoring software, they would simply write it themselves and distribute it themselves. For single computers/incidents, I would not be surprised in the least to learn they had done exactly that. But to inject something into say, Itunes, would run an incredibly high risk of exposure. The government has a far easier way of tracking whatever they want, the Internet was created in the US and is controlled here after all =)

[edit on 7-10-2007 by DeepDiver]

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1337cshacker

No freakin # Shurlock. If I am anyone who DOES KNOW I know it closes ports unless specified, NEVER did I say it blocks viruses, now thats just noob, but anyone who knows anything can use a port sniff. Most physical firewalls have anti-smurf, software like your noob virus scanners and real timers can't give you this. My virus technique is proc explorer, and common knowledge.

Lol, youre name says it all. Someone who wants to be "1337".

Id rather block viruses and trojans from installing in the 1st place and I tell others that. Obviously youre so "1337" that youd rather clean up after they have installed.

Of course youre such a hacker that I bet you have a way of stopping all your installed programs phoning home too then eh?

Give it up no one is falling for it. Its completely retarded to tell people not to protect themselves especially considering the vast majority of people know nothing about computers.

The funny thing is, you seem so desperate to feel better than others yet with a name like that, just come off as a wannabe script kiddie.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by funky monk
Ok, iTunes maybe, but Norton most likely not. Why? Its a load of s#$%. Being in the IT industry no one that I know uses it or would recomend it...

I'd like to get rid of Norton's crap off of a family members PC. What would you recommend for anti-virus protection?

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Areal51

I'd like to get rid of Norton's crap off of a family members PC. What would you recommend for anti-virus protection?

Nod is very good, light on resources too. Unlike Norton.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Norton is crap, has been for a long time.
I use AVG from grisoft and am pretty happy with it, both the corporate and free versions.
I was so sad when norton bought backup exsuck, and ruined it with bloat.

Uninstall your google toolbar, or any other toolbar that extends your browser.

itoons? WTF why would you use that when there are so many free places to get low bitrate substandard mp3's? I would never pay $1 for a song encoded at lower than cd quality, that I can't play on any device I want.
I'll record them off the radio before I resort to itoons.

Of course you're stuck with Internet Exploiter unless you use something like XPlite.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join