It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists: Appendix Protects Good Germs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Scientists: Appendix Protects Good Germs

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON - Some scientists think they have figured out the real job of the troublesome and seemingly useless appendix: It produces and protects good germs for your gut. That's the theory from surgeons and immunologists at Duke University Medical School, published online in a scientific journal this week.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
This is quite an interesting development. There came a time when many people thought that the appendix was just a useless organ left over from evolution, but after these tests it seems it is indeed quite important after all.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I also approve of this message.

To add to the topic, I think it's laughable that we all shrug off organs, as if we knew better than evolution (or god, if that's your stance, or aliens, etc.). Of course, the appendix does cause some people problems - I'd still like to keep mine, just in case.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Thank you DJMessiah for the post. Very important information for all of us.
DWT

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Aww man,

I almost died when I was 12 because of my appendix...and now I don't have it anymore.

I thought the stuff inside your appendix is poisonous to the rest of your body?

Interesting

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by juicebox
I thought the stuff inside your appendix is poisonous to the rest of your body?

It becomes dangerous when inflammation occurs, because it causes the appendix to form small ruptures that allow bacteria to escape and enter other sections of the body.

apc

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I think it's been known for a while now that the appendix still serves some purpose. In other animals it is much larger and known as the caecum. In them it contains bacteria that help break down plant matter.

It also can be compared to the tonsils in that it contains lymph tissue and helps detect unwanted invaders.

While it's long been an conflict point over the theory of evolution, I think it is fairly obvious that the organ is in fact largely vestigial. But, just like the tonsils, it still serves some purpose particularly early in life.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Better late than never.

In Eastern medicin the appendix has been considered important for thousands of years. From a holistic point of view the argument has always been "It produces and protects good germs for your gut."

I'm glad that science finally have proved common sense.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Is there any way to treat it if it goes bad? Or is the procedure just to rip it out?

Also, what exactly does it feel like, and where is the pain, when you need to get some help for it?

I know very very little about organs and diseases and such, so forgive my ignorance.

I should learn these things before I encounter such a situation.

[edit on 10/5/07 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I had to have mine removed as it was inflammed and had burst into the stomach area, wasn't good at all, almost died apparently.... Got a massive scar for my troubles so makes for good conversation... lol I was told by the doctor @ the time that it was useless and humans have no need for it just like a spleen....

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
This is one of those interesting areas that pits evolution against intelligent design. Evolutionists love to point out all of these so called vestigial organs or useless dna etc. Later on they invariably turn out to play important vital functions. Although God reuses his designs, it does appear he does nothing by chance.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
You religious folks will look at anything with a religious bias won't you?

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi

Religious? hrm....
do you have to be a member of a church to be religious or is being a member of a church make you religious because you attend a specific religion's church? Just wondering.

[edit on 6-10-2007 by undo]

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
This is one of those interesting areas that pits evolution against intelligent design. Evolutionists love to point out all of these so called vestigial organs or useless dna etc. Later on they invariably turn out to play important vital functions.

Exactly how 'vital' is an organ if you can live without it?

If you give up a kidney up you can still live. If you lose a lung, due to cancer etc, then again you can still live. This doesn't mean that having two lungs or two kidneys is evolutionarily wrong because we can happily live with only one of each. It's more that the body can still survive despite having only one of each. And whatever the appendix does, we CAN live without it and so far there are no suggestions that a person is more susceptible to diseases without an appendix.

There is only one appendix in our bodies and there seems to be no adverse affects to living without one. Maybe it plays a more vital role when we're growing up. As we can live happily without an appendix, it obviously can't play that much of a vital role in the human body.

I think it's harsh to say when something is 'useless' because I don't think the appendix is useless, however to some extent it is 'unneeded', which is a much better way of putting it.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon
Better late than never.

In Eastern medicin the appendix has been considered important for thousands of years. From a holistic point of view the argument has always been "It produces and protects good germs for your gut."
I'm glad that science finally have proved common sense.

But in Eastern medecine they consider the Rhino Horn is an aphrodisiac.
A lotof Eastern Medecine is based on nothing but old wives tales.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Having lived through a burst appendix in July I can say with no reservation that it is a life experience to be missed. It hurt like holy hell and i spent 9 days in the hospital thanks to it.

I have since read that an inflamed appendix can cool down as it were without rupturing or bursting and need not be removed, but its rare. Usually when it goes it either ruptures or bursts.

The only good things that came out of it was I lost 25 lbs ( I don't recommend it though) and getting sponge baths by this cute little Filipino nurse (which I do highly recommend)

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chorlton
But in Eastern medecine they consider the Rhino Horn is an aphrodisiac.
A lotof Eastern Medecine is based on nothing but old wives tales.

Yup, and the Tiger Penis too.
Even old wives tale has a base lost somewhere down the line.

I think it's a lost knowledge mixed with superstition and all shades of magic.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by shaunybaby

i agree.
if it can be yanked out of there then i'm thinking it's not too vital. it might be optimum to have, but not vital.

when i think vital, i think heart, brain, pancreas,etc...

if you can live your entire adult life without it, it's not that vital.

like arms...not vital at all. i sure want both mine though.

apc

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Most people are already living without theirs. As we age the opening to it closes and it shuts down. When things go wrong, this is when it becomes inflamed.

However to again make the comparison to tonsils, it is quite active early in life. Just like the tonsils it serves its purpose until the body adapts to the food it is eating and the contaminants in that food. Once the body no longer has a need for it, it shuts down.

As Western society lives in a relatively clean world - our water is sterilized and our food is usually properly cooked - we find our need for these organs reduced or eliminated, so they shut down earlier. However if you look at undeveloped societies, the instances of appendicitis are lower as the organ is still properly functioning in response to the environment.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi

and in turn, non-religious folks will look at anything without a religious bias, don't they?

I understand where you are coming from, but, if you look independently, you will see the same faults on both sides. There are good, bad, and ugly members or all belief and non-belief ways of life. Those who accept others and live in peace, those who try to always prove their side is right, and those who try to force or turn to violent means because they don't agree with the person of opposing views ...

I don't think the appendix topic should be turned into a G-d vs. no G-d fight.

Great info. I still have my appendix and my tonsils ... spleen too
Missing a few teeth though ... those widom teeth weren't too smart and grew where there was no room

What most people fail to realize is science and doctors don't really know it all, but act like they do. Kind of like someone who fibs on their application ... they watched someone use a forklift ... so they have experience
I am just being honest.

I remember while growing up hearing on the local news about milk is bad, then it was good, eggs were bad, then good, wine bad, then good ... I heard so much contridiction from the medical field that I question most of what they say and doubt the rest. Sometimes they get it right, but, it seems like House is more of an accurate representation of medicine in general ... except when you get in to drugs and treatments vs. cures ... since he actually solves the case at the end ... the pills just give you different symptoms so you can get more pills, and nothing is ever fixed, just made numb.

I am not surprised that the appendix has a purpose. We may do ok without it ... but, we can live without the heart we are born with ... whether a cow/pig/metal replacement ... other organs have things to replace it ... but ... it is still better to keep it. I don't want doctors to treat my body like a shade tree mechanic treats a car ... oops, a couple extra parts left over ... but it still runs
That may be true, but that is not how it was designed (and even if you are not a believer ... you can still consider that DNA has designed itself into its current condition ... just take it how you understand it and don't twist or argue).

Just like the poster above said ... it has a greater purpose when we are young, developing, and exposed to new things all the time ... so ... if that is the case and it shuts down after we are older, then it would make sense that it could be removed ... since it is no longer in use anyway. I guess in a stretch I could compare it to someone's car who lives up north ... they buy it and get a block heater ... after a few years they move down south ... it is never cold enough to need it, so, it can be now removed without any consequence. It served its purpose when it was needed.
sorry for the car analogies, but, sometimes they work to help people understand.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join