It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edwards Cant Find 27 People to help in RI primary !!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Senator Edwards, the 'absent' Senator, cannot find 27 people needed to gain entrance in the Rhode Island primary.

All that is needed is 1000 signatures.

News reports are that Rhode Island may make concessions to allow him in the state primary.

Secretary of State Matthew Brown said Edwards, a North Carolina senator, had 918 valid signatures, with 321 questionable.

R.I. ballot could skip Edwards

The Edwards campaign has appealed, and the Rhode Island Board of Elections met Wednesday to review the decision. Fifty-five more signatures were approved, leaving Edwards 27 short to appear on the March 2 primary ballot.

Out of a whole state, even small RI, 27 names cant be found.

Barring action by the Rhode Island Supreme Court, Edwards will not appear on the ballot.

Now this is a new tactic resembling the Busch/Gore Election fiasco in Florida.

Hey,...if this is how it can be done,...sue your way in !!

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Mods...can this be moved to Politics and Scandals...posted in wrong category by accident.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The time limit for new sigs has passed. It was turned in thinking they had more than enough. It's his fault dumbazzes signed it Sid Vicious?

I'm surprised someone actually took the time to scrutinize the list so hard since being on the ballot is practically a given for anyone in the race. Now THAT little Katherine Harris wannabe is who deserves your "Florida" comparison.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
Mods...can this be moved to Politics and Scandals...posted in wrong category by accident.

I think your "absent sentaor" rant is in the perfect forum. The Mudpit.

Here in NC we call the "absent Senator" Libby Dole. If you see the lazy carpetbagger sometime, point out NC on a map for her.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
The time limit for new sigs has passed.

Yes you are right,...

BUT....the State Supreme Court is considering letting him in, circumventing requirements .

Why bother even having requirements, if all you have to do is appeal or sue for entry?!

And yes,..NC is full of absent representation, headed for the white house. Libby?....has she ever visited her house in NC?

[Edited on 23-1-2004 by smirkley]

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Well six of one, half a dozen of the other.

"Circumventing requirements" which in this case could go against the spirit of the citizens of Rhode Island of which close to (but not quite) 1000 signed a petition.

It hardly matters either way, but I can understand letting him in. But he'd get more press and sympathy if some list Nazi kept him out.

About Libby (I think that's a new offbroadway play), her Mom just died in the house Libby used to run, citing her childhood address. Libby really lucked out on that timing. She should make the funeral but did you hear she doesn't even come to Winston-Salem with Bush (who comes alot) stumping for that good old Jesse Helms tobacco money that got her in office? Sad.

The Red Cross matron made one hurricane trip to NC so far... IN HEELS!!!

[Edited on 23-1-2004 by RANT]

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
1000 required
918 sigg'd
321 questionable

equals

597 firm sigs.

not even three fifth's of needed good sigs.

I was in Winston the last visit by Bush.
Down by the Armory! What a mess of traffic!

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I was going by your quote of "918 valid sigs" and assuming the questionable 300 weren't part of the "valid" count. Then adding 55 more left him 27 short.

It makes more sense that he was over 1200 or so, and the 300 were taken off by a list nazi...leaving him at 918 when this started. But I don't know.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
The 321 questionable, I dont believe have been disqualified.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
No I'm reading this over and over to figure out where the numbers came from. The "questionable" were disqualified knocking him down to 918. I mean "Valid" is "Valid" and doesn't include "questionable".

The reason we know that are "The Edwards campaign has appealed, and...Fifty-five more signatures were approved, leaving Edwards 27 short to appear on the March 2 primary ballot."

Those approved sigs came from the questionable that had been tossed, bringing him back up to 27 short of 1000. It says 27 short of 1000. He wouldn't have turned the list in short, or had diddly to appeal unless the "questionable" rejects knocked him out of the race.

I see this as a total joke now knowing this. The article says some street addresses "weren't verifiable", which can mean anything from PO Boxes to scribbly handwriting. This is BS.

He had over 1200 signatures in hand in time. Some self important list nazi did this.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Rhode Island population -- 1,058,920 - 2001

1000 = .09443 % of the population

not even .1 %

quickfacts.census.gov...

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
Rhode Island population -- 1,058,920 - 2001

1000 = .09443 % of the population

not even .1 %

quickfacts.census.gov...

Right, that's why this is a joke. He could have gotten 5,000 signatures, but he had 1200 (more than enough) and turned it in. Now the deadline has passed and some list nazi is toying with the democratic process.

They need to either honor the spirit of the race and the signers (with "unverifiable addresses") or let him spend 5 more minutes at a church or mall and get a few hundred more signatures. This is BS. You get 1000 signs in one day then move to the next state. There are others you know.

I certainly hope the mainstream press doesn't pick up your spin on this. It is clearly NOT a matter of not being able to find 27 people to allow him to run. It's a matter of some over zealous pud denying the will of 300 plus Rhode Islanders.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Yes, maybe he had 1200, it doesnt matter really.

Every politician getting sigs, knows they need to pad the numbers becouse many of them may be disqualified.

200 sigs is not good padding, 2000 would be...

Do you know the numbers of sigs each for all candidates obtained?

(I am searching as I type)

top topics

join