It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yenaldlooshi: Navajo Skinwalkers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Noticing a comment made by NotTooHappy in a thread within this forum, I decided to do some looking into it.

It seems that the Navajo mythology speaks of the "Yenaldlooshi", which translates into:
"He who trots along here and there on all fours."
The Navajo also believe that humans can take the form of animals in nature or termed: therioanthropy. The two main animals for such shapeshifting were the coyote (Navajo call the Little-Lil' Trotter) and wolf (Navajo call the Big Trotter). Also note that in Navajo rituals and practices, that witchcraft and human to animal forms (wereanimals-weranimals) have always been present within their society(s).
It seems worth mentioning also, that the coyote, has been present in many Indian cultures and societies:

"About Coyote"
Link:
www.english.uiuc.edu...

excerpt:

"Coyote is the figure who appears most widely in Native American stories; he is without doubt the best known. The preeminent trickster, he may also take the role of culture hero, although the aspects of culture and life he introduces often have a negative side to them. To the Chinook he is Italapas. The Navajo term for Coyote is Ma?ii; the Lakota word, Mica. He is Skinkuts in Kutenai and Isil in Cupe�o. The Crow call him Old Man Coyote."

In such myths, stories and legends, they appear naked and are only dressed in some ritual jewelry and ritual animal masks. Supposedly, according to these myths, legends, and stories, they gain power by and from killing....killing direct relatives. They are also mentioned to have the powers or abilities of a alchemist/witchcraft in that they can supposedly make powders and such, that will cause a variety of illness, social problems, and even death.

Here are some links I found on the "Yenaldlooshi": Navajo Skinwalkers:

"Navajo Skinwalkers"
Link:
web.nmsu.edu...

"Navajo Skinwalkers"
Link:
www.suite101.com...

What do you guys think?
Could this be probable in the world today? There are stories recounting encounters with such "skinwalkers".
(I do have another link that recants some such stories but will hold before posting to see what many think)

Think this is related to the legends and stories of werewolves, etc.?

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 23-1-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I always heard stories of one similar to this phenomenon. They called it a 'bear-walker'. It supposedly 'bear-walks' you, (harasses/curses you). An example would be you seeing something in the corner of your eye, a figure, when you look, it's gone.

They said that somebody with the knowledge of this type of medicine had the ability to cast this evil curse on you.

This is prevalent (bearwalker) in this particular tribe of North American Indians.

I understand from your post Seekerof that this phenomenon is prevalent all across North America, because it is with the Navajo, and the tribe I'm talking about.

I think it might be probable today, as I still hear people telling the stories of the bearwalkers.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
i heard of shamans in South America that shapeshift into jaguars and also of snake shapeshifters in India.

I have also heard that most of them required a major ritual usually involving some type mind altering substance.

seems many cultures believe in the concept of shapeshifting.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Well, whether it be ritual or tribal magic, witchcraft, or shamanism, there are many myths, legends, and stories of such occurances, in multiple Native American societies or tribes.

I found this interesting story that reads like a Navajo legend on how the "skinwalker" came about, I believe.

"Skinwalker II"
Link:
www.ghoststudies.com...

Excerpt:

"They say that a long time ago, before the Long Walk, but after the time of First Man and First Woman, there lived a Son in the Chuska Mountains near what is now Crystal New Mexico. This son was born for the Running Water Clan, and to the Burning Corn Clan, but his parents died when he was young but before he was a man. He did not go through the Rite of Passage or be blessed by a H�'tali'�.

This son didn't have many friends, and his family wanted nothing to do with him because he liked a certain plant that makes you feel dizzy and weak. The son found solace with this plant, and said it made him walk in the spirit world. As Navajo we use different types of plants for vision quests, but only under the observation of a H�'tali'� or Medicine Man. To use these plants without observation can cause soul sickness, and mind sickness so the Son's family did little to encourage the man further. They never visited, and he rarely spoke to them.

The man's hogan also fell into disrepair, his roof leaked and bugs invaded his sheepskin, yet the man didn't care; he walked in the spirit world and thought nothing could hurt him.

One night as this man walked with the Spirits, he came upon Coyote. "You are so clever and swift Coyote", the Man said," I wish I could be just like you." And Coyote replied, "you wouldn't want to be like me, everyone hates and fears me. They throw corn pollen on my tracks and avoid me whenever I walk into a room. I always lose my friends and no one ever trusts me."

"That's ok with me, no one likes me either, and my family doesn't care." The man replied, "but at least you run swiftly, can attack, can kill with your teeth. You're always warm in the winter, and I like the color of your coat."

So Coyote looked at the man and said, "So you really want to be like me? Go without food or water for five days. Many times I have had to fast for even longer than that. If you can do that you will be more like me."

This is a good read.

From what I have read on this, the Navajo view the "Yenaldlooshi: Skinwalkers" as bad stuff and are treated with fear, repugnance, and embarressment. I also read that skinwalkers are different from werewolves and such, in that skinwalkers can change into any animal form and are definitely not regulate nor restricted to one animal form. This makes them virtually shapeshifters. If they (ie: shaman, witch-doctors, etc.) have just the skin of any animal, that skin allows them to change into that animal form....interesting to say the least.

I found this article, though I am not hip on the source, it was obviosly submitted and not written by the source, telling the story of an event that took place in 2002. The article is called:
"'Path of the Skinwalker'
Link: (you will have to scroll down just a bit to see)
www.rense.com...

*Note: there is a whole lot of crap happening at this ranch in the article.

Excerpt:

"But run-of-the-mill UFO events don't begin to describe the rich array of unusual phenomena in this area. The Ute Indian tribe has been here far longer than white settlers. Tribal leaders are reluctant to speak to outsiders, but their oral history is replete with examples of strange creatures and sightings. Indian lore refers to some of these beings as Skinwalkers. Other cultures call them shape-shifters, werewolves or Bigfoot.

"The Utes take this very seriously," Hicks says. "They think the Skinwalkers are powerful spirits that are here because of a curse that was put on them generations ago by the Navajos. And the center of the whole legend is this ranch. The Utes say the ranch is `the path of the skinwalker.' Tribe members are strictly forbidden from setting foot on the property. It's been that way for a long time."

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
First off, WOW, somebody paid attention to something I posted! Amazing!

OK, now about the Skinwalkers.
I grew up in Utah and when I was in scouts I remember one of my leaders talking about them around the campfire. It was kinda a scary story thing. When I grew up and became a chef I started working at resorts. At 2 of the places I worked (Lake Powell and the Grand Canyon) there were alot of Navajos. When I was in Lake Powell, I was told by a older Navajo to watch out for the Skinwalkers if I was out side late at night, I could be attacked. This caused me to remember what my scout leader had told me so, I asked him about them. He told me that 2 brothers had been cursed for some reason. They had to forever walk the earth in a form other than their own until they broke the curse. He also said that they usually take the shape of a wolf but can become any creature they want, except human. For this reason, they dispise man and, they will attack and try to kill any man they see. I also heard similar stories at the Grand Canyon. I really don't know what to make of it though, I took the warning to heart. Like most legends, I feel that there must be some air of truth to it. Maybe the Skinwalkers are the same think as Bigfoot or Sasquatch. Maybe their the same as werewolves. Maybe their something else entirely. I don't know but, I do know that when I'm in the desert at night, I always keep my eyes and ears open for them.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   

No problem NotTooHappy.....
Be appreciative if you could recant somemore info on this from the local area or such. I have run across some interesting stories but was waiting to post for more information from members interested in this....the skinwalkers.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

No problem NotTooHappy.....
Be appreciative if you could recant somemore info on this from the local area or such. I have run across some interesting stories but was waiting to post for more information from members interested in this....the skinwalkers.

regards
seekerof

I'll ask around. There's alot of people around here who kmow of the Skinwalkers. I see what I can find out from them. It might take a few days though, I gotta find the right people.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
We can definately all agree on that they are quite creapy creatures. Wouldn't like to have too many of them running around.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
It is possible that 4d entities appear in 3d in forms familiar and of interest to certain peoples. That may be an explanation for this belief system.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Well, I don't have anymore local legends of the Skinwalkers but, while surfing aimlessly I found this article and thought it was interesting.

The source...

In Navajo mythology, skinwalkers, also known as Yenaldlooshi, are witches who wear coyote skins and travel at night. They appear naked, wearing only masks and jewelry, & tend to live in caves, storing recognizable human heads on shelves.

Yenaldlooshi gain power by killing a close relative, sometimes even a sibling. They are known to desecrate sand paintings by urinating, spitting, & defecating on them. They also practice cannibalism and necrophilia. Yenaldlooshi are also said to be able to create a pollen from ground human infant bones that when sprinkled on sleeping Navajo families, causes sickness, social problems, & death.

Yenaldlooshi are often detected by the presence of strange noises, barking dogs, or dirt falling from the hogan ceiling (as they try to sprinkle their pollen on unsuspecting families). They can be shot or caught. If they are not caught, a singer (hataalii) or medicine person can protect the family.

Coyotes were known to weaken a hunter by throwing their skin on him. By doing so, the Coyote takes on the appearance of the hunter. Coyotes do this out of desire to sleep with the hunter�s wife. During the time while the Coyote lives with the hunter�s wife, the hunter is immobilized in the position of a sleeping coyote. The wife will eventually realize the Coyote is not her husband because the Coyote is lazy and, over time, the house comes to smell of Coyote urine.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Hello I am new here,looks like I found myself a great messageboard.
I have been a part of a indian center for 7 months now and just recently while speaking to my indian granma I was asked something (very uncomfortably) if I had ever heard of the bearwalkers, I said no i have not and it was basically left at this,when i asked if this is something i should ask our leader about i was told probably not. I would love to know anything about the bearwalkers where it started travelled through what happened ANYTHING if someone could help be that would great!
thank you

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Those interested in Navajo folklore and myths should check out the novels of Tony Hillerman. Fiction but very well researched and informative. He has written a novel entitled "Skinwalkers" that is a good read as are all his novels.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
If Skinwalkers do, indeed, exist, I wonder if they actually change form or if they are just somehow able to manipulate the way people see them. Kind of a "cloud the minds of the weak" type thing. I find that a more likely theory simply because I have trouble believing a physical body could manipulate itself to such extremes as to grow fur or lose fur, change bone structure, etc. That would be so cool to be able to transform into a wolf though! :p

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Read these threads and you will know about skinwalkers from people with firsthand experience.

www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

(Mod edit: Removed long link that didn't work. --Majic)

[edit on 12/11/2006 by Majic]

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
...Well, whether it be ritual or tribal magic, witchcraft, or shamanism, there are many myths, legends, and stories of such occurances, in multiple Native American societies or tribes...

The Skinwalker story has some similarities with the Honawewe, a folkloric creature of several of the Great Basin tribes.
And of the Wendigo. Unfortunately, the Wendigo has been co-opted into several science fiction tales, thus his legendary origins has been misunderstood.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Seems to be a lot of curses being the cause.

Though a few people might think of it as a blessing : ) If olny I was a powerfull enough sorcerer that I could cast curses that changed people into monsters, I could charge money for it too.

Then I could live in a mansion on a isolated Island guarded by a bunch of weird animals.

That would be cool, it would be like the island of Dr Monro.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Jinn is what all these creatures are. They can shape shift into anything they
want, be it human or animal.
Most of you won't be able to handle this info. Which means you'll think this is BS, but do a search of.....Jinn....on Google you'll get 2,600,000 plus hits.
Then have fun learning........but most won't....to easy to deny.

The Jinn beings were the second to be created after angels....then man was created.
BTW, the ET's are also Jinn....there are many kinds, just like many kinds of humans......Whites, Asian, Indian, etc

...I can hear you all now....merky your full of it.....ya ok

But the few of you that will research this are going to be shocked at what you find.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Alright. From someone who used to be a practicing shaman. I can tell you this there are techniques to "become an animal". I have done them and succeeded. Now before you call the men with white coats, hear me out.

You don't physically look like them. Through the techniques you gain their attributes and seem to move like them and so forth. For instance it is easier to lift things, jump heights, and so on. Now what some go is dress up like the animals. This can give the illusion more.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dracotic
Alright. From someone who used to be a practicing shaman. I can tell you this there are techniques to "become an animal". I have done them and succeeded. Now before you call the men with white coats, hear me out.

You don't physically look like them. Through the techniques you gain their attributes and seem to move like them and so forth. For instance it is easier to lift things, jump heights, and so on. Now what some go is dress up like the animals. This can give the illusion more.

You are on the right track. This is expanded upon quite thoroughly in my post link above.

As I can see many choose to believe ridiculous garbage instead of reading real encounter evidence from a person on a reservation.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Dracotic you used to, why not anymore?

Merky, Muhamed rasul Allah?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join