It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrorists blowing up oil/gas wells in the US?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
My sister who works for EOG resources (her office is in Ft. Worth, TX) called me just now and told me that this morning they had training all morning long for disaster preparations. She said they were simulating what would happen if terrorists were blowing up all the gas and oil wells. She is a part of the IT group and they told her that in the event of a real emergency she would not be able to leave.

I thought this was interesting seeing as how the govt is having training on Oct 15th. Also, I worked at Northrop Grumman for two years and we NEVER had any kind of drill to protect against terrorists.

Just thought I would let everyone know about this. Maybe others can expand. Also, has anyone else been doing some extra disaster drills at their job?

[edit on 10/4/2007 by stellawayten]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Come on people? Why aren't you responding to this? I think this is a big deal. No one finds this interesting? EOG Resources is a huge company in texas that is responsible for many, many oil but mostly gas wells.

EOG Resources, Inc. is one of the largest independent (non-integrated) oil and natural gas companies in the United States with proved reserves in the United States, Canada, offshore Trinidad and the United Kingdom North Sea. EOG Resources, Inc. is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is traded under the ticker symbol “EOG.”

eog resources website

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I changed the title of this post so it would get more views. I really think this is important and I don't understand why more of you aren't reading it. If I am blowing this out of proportion then fine. But just tell me so I can quit worrying about it myself!

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I work at a television station. Been there... far too long. We had mock "Takeover" drill about 3 weeks ago. Just the basics of what to do in case some nutcase or (not my words) terrorist(s) were to try to takeover our transmission.

The sales staff was directed to vacate as soon as possible (the salesmen can stay behind for all I care) along with the production and news staff.

Master Control was advised to - first completely shut off our broadcast signal including shutting down the transmitter (minimum 5 minute procedure), and lock out all computers. Then, vacate as soon as possible.

This was NOT a corporate ordered drill.

This was my general manager covering all bases for any event that may arise inside his building.

In my opinion it SHOULD be mandatory for every station in the country. Could you imagine a group having access to the television in your home, showing who knows what sorts of atrocities over your local airwaves.

Odd timing, absolutely.
Out of the blue, absolutely.

I really hate waiting games.

[edit on 4-10-2007 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Was this the first time yall have ever had such a drill? I feel like everyone is getting ready for the storm even though the weather man is saying its going to be a warm sunny day.

[edit on 10/4/2007 by stellawayten]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomaticCould you imagine a group having access to the television in your home, showing who knows what sorts of atrocities over your local airwaves.
[edit on 4-10-2007 by TwiTcHomatic]

Sounds like the current state run media!

I don't own a tv. Sometimes I watch it at my girlfriends house, but all I see is propaganda and brainwashing. Once in a while there will be something interesting...

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by stellawayten
She said they were simulating what would happen if terrorists were blowing up all the gas and oil wells.

I can expand. Remember what happened when drills were run for two planes hitting towers? Thought so. I see this now as a possible threat. Who knows, maybe the gov will be in on this one too...

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
many of these wells are on private land. i don't see how terrorists would know where they are to blow them up. and if i know texans, if they see a terrorists on their land, they won't live very long. however, i'm sure the govt knows where each and every well is located. hmm.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
A lot of places have drills like this. Some have it once every six months while others do it once every 3 years. I knew someone who worked at a local hospital where they had bomb threat tests regularly. Does that mean terrorists are going to take over a small hospital in a small town? I doubt it, but better to be safe then sorry.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Yes, i can understand bomb threats but to actually have a drill that terrorists are going to blow up all of the gas/oil wells is a bit strange for me. i don't know, maybe i've been reading too many ATS threads.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I was looking up some info to see if I could find any information on why they might run these drills and I think I might have found out why.

JFK Airport Plot

This happened earlier this year and I'm sure it put the spotlight on oil companies to run these drills a lot more. I think they should as God forbid if it ever did happen then they would be blamed for no being prepared.

I do admit it is odd with all these other drills being ran at the same time around the country. Maybe there is a plot out there yet the US has no clue what or where the attack will be?

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   

many of these wells are on private land. i don't see how terrorists would know where they are to blow them up.

Oh bud, they have their resources. Ever hear of sleeper cells? They exist.

Originally posted by ParanormalShiver
God forbid if it ever did happen then they would be blamed for no being prepared.

You know, that is very possible, and actually most likely. I did not think about that. It would really suck for them if it happened and they were "not prepared".

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   

many of these wells are on private land. i don't see how terrorists would know where they are to blow them up. and if i know texans, if they see a terrorists on their land, they won't live very long. however, i'm sure the govt knows where each and every well is located. hmm.
on private land meaning they're not guarded by the army. yes texans will try to protect there land but unfotunately unless they drive around theyre land 24/7 with night vision heavily armed with a BP vest then it may not matter if they see the terrorists and thats a strong if. i live in a land where theres lots of farmers and we used to go run rampant on there land all the time. plus it comes down to whose more determined a farmer or some dude that would blow themselves up. im not saying the terrorists are special but or anything but people rarely come out of a situation on good terms when they're out numbered out gunned and facing enemies that have been in combat.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
It wouldn't be that difficult to find a few gas wells to set on fire but what would be the point. Seem like a terrorist would go for a target that would result in deaths of people or yield more damage.

Pipeline attacks might be a whole different story.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
well, the gas wells are attached to pipelines that run thru Texas.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
My job has me visiting a local oil refinery and a major chemical plant several times a week. In the past two years, both have beefed up security in a major way.

A couple of months ago, at the refinery, an oil storage tank was set ablaze by lightning. It was quite a sight to see!

It's good to hear that plants and other places are running drills and preparing for the worst. I think our schools should all do the same. A child hasn't died in a school fire in America in over 25 years, yet our schools spend more time on fire drills than they do on school-shooting and terrorism drills.

I think every potential target for terrorists should be doing all they can to secure their perimiter and prepare their staff/employees for a worst case scenareo.

As to the OP's question... does this alarm me? No, not at all. If anything it comforts me that steps are being taken. We cannot go about our lives living in fear because that is exactly what our enemies want. They want us to stay home and hide in fear. They want to collapse our economy and kill our spirit.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   

well, the gas wells are attached to pipelines that run thru Texas.

Small gathering pipelines that head off to gas plants. The tailgate of the plant connects to the larger pipes or pipes to connect to them.

There are some sizable pipelines carrying a lot of product on the way to the northeast though. I think people would be surprised at how accessible most well heads and some parts of pipelines are.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
It wouldn't be that difficult to find a few gas wells to set on fire but what would be the point. Seem like a terrorist would go for a target that would result in deaths of people or yield more damage.

Pipeline attacks might be a whole different story.

Agreed. This would not produce terror. Might piss off a few people, but that's about it. There are literally thousands of targets & actions that would be much more deserving of being labeled an act of terror.

What was more terrifying during the war in Kuwait- The threat that Sadam was gonna launch scuds outfitted with bio/chem weapons, or setting the oil fields on fire?

2PacSade-

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Out here in Colorado, they are drilling up to 12 wells on the same pad with some of the latest advancements in rigs. If you add that up ( each well averaging 1 mllion cu/ft per day), it doesn't take long to make an impact. As far as piplines go, I have seen several company asset layouts on their own websites. You knock out a few of the pumping stations and you have done some serious damage to this nation's energy market.

Finding wells isn't that difficult, just follow the line markers leading away from the processing facility.

top topics

join