It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shiite Leader Rejects U.S. Plan for Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) - The U.S.-backed plan for handing over power to Iraqis is unacceptable as it stands, according to a top Shiite Muslim leader who met with President Bush this week.

However, Abdul-Aziz al-Hakim said Friday that the Americans, as well as others, are slowly coming around to the need for elections to chose a new legislature rather than have the members named by 18 regional caucuses.

``As it stands, it's unacceptable,'' al-Hakim said of the political blueprint reached Nov. 15 between L. Paul Bremer, America's top civilian official in Iraq, and the U.S.-appointed Iraqi Governing Council. ``It was hurriedly agreed.''

Iraq's top Shiite cleric urged followers Friday to stop public demonstrations in support of his call for an early vote until U.N. experts decide whether an election is feasible.

Tens of thousands have marched in Baghdad and elsewhere in support of Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani, whose opposition to an earlier U.S.-backed plan forced Washington to drop it. U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan is expected to decide next week whether to send a team to determine whether early elections can be held.

[MORE]
www.guardian.co.uk...

After being promised liberty is anyone surprised that they would demand it, and refuse to support the creation of yet another puppet regime?

The so-called elections in the current plan are no such thing. It would be a behind closed doors selection of leaders.

Why not have free elections next week? There is no need for a cencus. The UN performed this under the Oil for Food program. Every citizen of Iraq has a program card. There is no rational reason to delay the vote any longer.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I don't see how Iraq can develop a non-puppet government, knowingly or not.

I mean, how could we stick our finger in a pie and not take back anything with us.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I don't see how Iraq can develop a non-puppet government, knowingly or not.

Then why not one that is not viewed to be a puppet of America by most people?

Why not one that they elect, rather than one we select.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I don't know if we even must 'select' to direct the American government's influence. I think our presence will always be there, dispite how much we'd 'like' to hand over the 'ropes'.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
As has been mentioned before: "patience is a virtue."
Elections will come to Iraq in due time. Rushing this, as has been mentioned by head religious leaders in Iraq, will result in turmoil and discontent because of the fear of voter fraud, etc......boiling down to all sides being legitimately represented for such an election/voting process.

Requiem, the US is still in Germany and the US is still in Japan......I commented thus becuase of your comments of this: "I think our presence will always be there, dispite how much we'd 'like' to hand over the 'ropes'."

In such, despite the contrary of "US influence", Japan and Germany turned out just fine......

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 23-1-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Yes, Germany and Japan are happy. =D

The US of today is different from the past, of course. But its virtues are different, foreign policy is too. I hesitate to say radically, but it flipped out.

I think the present sort of US influence may be only for our interests, at least one side.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Yup, let it fall into civil war, and create another islamic state and a future hole for terroists. Now it's even worse when saddam was there.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Elections will come to Iraq in due time. Rushing this, as has been mentioned by head religious leaders in Iraq, will result in turmoil and discontent because of the fear of voter fraud, etc.

ANYTHING is better than a selected government.

We need to be doing all the things required for elections NOW.

The UN oil for food program cards can be used for the voter registration. There is not any info needed that the UN has not already compiled.

Candidates should be given airtime now.

The current plan is an insult to everyone. It would be an extension of the current occupational puppet and will not fool anyone. It is a delaying tactic.

But Bush has no plans on leaving Iraq. He has to help his campaign contributors finish robbing them...

top topics

join