It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Dies after Airport Arrest

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Women Beaten while handcuffed for yelling

www.cnn.com

Police "found her with the handcuffs up by her neck area," Hill said. Gotbaum was unconscious and police and firefighters tried to revive her by CPR and other means, Hill said. "They could not revive her and tragically, she died."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-10-2007 by infamouskiller]

mod edit:
Title change to reflect title of CNN article

[edit on 1-10-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
By god when do we revolt when is enough of police control.

This is almost bad as the Graady case where a half burn manned is tasered 19 times and shot 9 times for nothing.

Meanwhile they play the Iran Nuke hype. We will nuke Iran before the months over.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

On Saturday, Hill said investigators guessed that "Gotbaum had possibly tried to manipulate the handcuffs from behind her to the front, got tangled up in the process, and they ended up around her neck area."

My god these people will pay.

Like the 50 video cameras didnt video tape it. Ya um ok.

Nazi merica woo hoo go USA!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Unbelievable news. I do not understand how she could have strangled herself. The officers should simply hancuff the people to other objects to prevent this from occuring. With thousands of arrests daily, these kinds of anomolys occur. Even if she did bring her arms over her head it would dislocate the rotator cuff. This doesnt make sense.Red Flag!
D

[edit on 1-10-2007 by dntwastetime]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Is it a common practice to keep handcuffs on people who are in holding cells ?

I thought that they took them off prior to locking them in a holding cell.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Seems to me this isn't the officers fault.

As always, quick to jump to conclusions when there is always more to the story.

They handcuffed her and put her in a holding cell as they should have.

For those that don't go read the entire story... here's why she was cuffed and placed in holding..

Airport witnesses told police Friday that Gotbaum was "very loud, she was yelling and screaming and running around the concourse area," said Hill. Police "could not calm her down" and "it was very difficult for them to get her handcuffed. Arresting officers "did not have to pepper spray her or [use a TASER device] on her or anything else," Hill said.

A US Airways spokesman told the New York Daily News that Gotbaum's flight was preparing to leave when she arrived at the gate.

Traveling alone, Gotbaum rebooked on a following flight, but "she became extremely irate, apparently running up and down the gate area," airline spokesman Derek Hanna told the Daily News.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I dont see myself staying here at ATs when a mod say the officer is justified for killing a person for yelling and acting obnoxcious.

its ok people listen to the mod everything is ok.

it is physically impossable to put your hand behind your back up to choke your neck.

and commen sense is to sit and go thru your feet.

By god what is wrong with you bro.

It is a police cover story to justify this poor women being brutally murdered.
For yelling.

She will prob have terrorist charges put on her to.

Its a sad thing I hope she haunts him.

They come and point a finger at you grab you.

If you get outraged and yell and scream.

You get strangled while handcuffed.

And the media and people says she deserves it.

Intresting

Who runs ATS mockingbird?

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
no need to leave her cuffed once she is on the holding cell though.
do you not agree with that?

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
AP they were probably afraid she might attack them when they entered the room. As far as the eyewitnesses. Who knows who they are, and who they represent. I would wonder if there were any conflicting reports about her behavior. I bet all the media is using the exact same catch words.As gross as it sounds, as an investigator, I still do not see how she could have killed herself. I would need a better explination of how they found her to properly analize the event.
D

[edit on 1-10-2007 by dntwastetime]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I'm not taking sides in this, but as much as I respect you, I find the reasoning in this post to be rather faulty. An apologist for police conduct needs to come up with something better than this.

Dad: "Johnny, how did that lamp get broken?"
Johnny: "I don't know, it just happened."
Dad: "You were the one in the room when it happened?"
Johnny: "But it was a bad lamp anyway, always shorting out."
Dad: "So how come it's broke now?"
Johnny: "It must have jumped off the table and smashed itself."

Sorry, excusing everything the police are involved in, like pepper spraying a baby or tasering a handcuffed person, by trying to say that they were behaving badly before the incident, is just another way of saying that the police now get to decide who needs punishment and who doesn't. That negates the whole need for a court system.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
IF your arms are long enough you can bring your knees up to your chest and work them over your feet to get the cuffs from behind your back to your front.Even so i dont know how you'd manage to strangle yourself doing so.Somethings not right here.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
While I don't think we've gotten the whole story (truth) yet, if she was being held at the Airport holding facility, is it possible the handcuff policy is there to prevent them from having another scene, should a suspect require being transferred to jail? Second, I have to wonder how someone manages to choke themselves with there hands cuffed behind their backs. But I've seen my neice grasp her hands behind her back, and bring them over her head to come to rest in front of her without breaking the grasp. Has something to do with her joints. Is it possible this woman was attempting something similiar?

And from what I read, I don't recall anything about this woman being 'beaten' while she was handcuffed as the topic notice indicated. Did I miss something?

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I'm still trying to figure out how the handcuffs could have gotten tangled around her "neck area"... I've never personally been in handcuffs, but I have seen them used and it's not like there is anything on them long enough to wrap around a persons neck. If there was they wouldn't be an effective restraint.

I'm just at a loss as to how ordinary handcuffs could strangle a person. And if she was constantly yelling and making noise, why did they not go check her as soon as she started to quiet down? If they had gotten to her in a reasonable amount of time they could have kept her alive.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Why does everyone assume the handcuffs must have been put on while her hands were behind her back? That being said, I still don't know why she wound up getting choked.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by infamouskiller

Title is inaccurate and not what the article uses. Can you show us where it said in the article it said she was beaten and killed by the officer?

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
...And if she was constantly yelling and making noise, why did they not go check her as soon as she started to quiet down? If they had gotten to her in a reasonable amount of time they could have kept her alive.

Looks like you posted at the same time I did. I agree with your confussion about the handcuffs, but maybe I can answer your question about the yelling.

I used to work as a 911 dispatcher/Jailer and after a while, you tend to get used to people coming into the facility yelling and screaming. After they find out that their screaming isn't doing any good, they usually settle down and wait for the booking officer to return. Where I worked, we had video cameras in the holding and regular cells and while we had access to monitor them, we didn't constantly watch them the whole time. And even though we had cameras, they were not positioned on the toilet or shower areas. I'm wondering if there were camera in this holding cell and if so, when are we going to see the video.

Sadly, after working there awhile, you seem to develop an attidude of tuning out the screams and yells just the way many parents tune out their kids constant crying for attention.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Why does everyone assume the handcuffs must have been put on while her hands were behind her back? That being said, I still don't know why she wound up getting choked.

On Saturday, Hill said investigators guessed that "Gotbaum had possibly tried to manipulate the handcuffs from behind her to the front, got tangled up in the process, and they ended up around her neck area."

Its not an asumption when its the offical police report.

Do people actually make opinions without reading the news first?

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
For the record, yes I hold the Title "moderator", however that doesn't mean that I always post as such. I understand that maybe becuase I am a member of staff that I should be held to a higher standard, but in this case I'm posting my thoughts as elevatedone, member of ATS.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are "bad" cops out there. However, I really feel that the good guys out number the bad ones.

We are too quick to jump on every cop story and assume that the cops are bad and did something wrong.

Mayby, just maybe this cop followed proceedure. To handcuff a person who is causing a disturbance and then place them in a holding cell. For all we know if could be required that the cuffs stay on so that a person may not bring harm upon themself.

This cop didn't kill anyone as far as we know, it appears to have been an accident.

I just hate seeing all cops labled these days, it isn't right.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Here's a theory-pretty "out there" but I think it's at least remotely feasible. The woman was cuffed with her hands in front. When she got to the holding cell, she bent down and pulled a hairpin out of her hair. She put the hairpin in her mouth and started trying to pick the lock on the cuffs and in the process managed to strangle herself from struggling around too much.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by infamouskiller

And you know that the investigators have their facts straight how?

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Here's a theory-pretty "out there" but I think it's at least remotely feasible. The woman was cuffed with her hands in front. When she got to the holding cell, she bent down and pulled a hairpin out of her hair. She put the hairpin in her mouth and started trying to pick the lock on the cuffs and in the process managed to strangle herself from struggling around too much.

The police report says cuffed in the BACK READ THE BLEEPING ARTICLE!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join