It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Fifth of November?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I just noticed along the very top of the page is the rhyme "Remember, remember, the fifth of November." I was wondering what it is about since it isn't a link, and November is still quite a ways away so it seems pretty random. Maybe another ATS puzzle-contest?

A quick Google search suggests it probably relates to a holiday called Guy Fawkes Night in the UK and other places, or the actual event of Guy Fawkes' failled attempt to blow up British Parliment

Any ideas?

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Remember, remember the fifth of November with gunpowder, treason and plot etc.. i don't know the whole thing.

Yeh Its Guy fawkes night aka bonfire night, aka firework night aka the night you stay in cos otherwise you are subject to rocket attacks from youths lol.

I don't know why it is there unlinked though???

EDIT - I just remembered a film that came out a couple of years ago 'V for Vendetta' was based around that night. I think that was the slogan. Maybe there is a sequel coming out. I will check google.

Nope no evidence of a sequel but there is speculation. I can confirm the tagline ot the original film was indeed 'remember, remember the fifth of November' www.imdb.com...

[edit on 24-9-2007 by fiftyfifty]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Yes, Guy Fawkes, but also the rather disturbing and amazing film with Natalie Portman "V for Vendetta" in which ... you should see the film rather than my giving the tale away.

It is a day still waiting for a revolution.

[edit on 24/9/07 by Pellevoisin]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Last time there was a forum game that had to do with winning a domain from ATS, it was up in the header like that.

Interesting ...

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Yes V for Vendetta. Very good movie. I strongly recommend it.

Remember, remember the fifth of November,
the Gunpowder, treason, and plot,
I know of no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

I was wondering the same thing about why it's up there or why it's unlinked.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

That was my thoughts exactly! You posted it before I did

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Hmmmm ... there is a member here name of Guy Fawkes.

Not that that seems to have gotten me anywhere ...

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
guy fawkes is said to be the only man to enter the uk parliament with honourable intentions (he tried to blow it up). the date november 5th is celebrated by having a huge bonfire which usually hosts a straw effigy of mr fawkes on top and accompanying fireworks.

his image in mask form was used in the film 'v for vendetta' which first appeared in the excellent but short lived uk comic 'warrior' and was written by alan moore (no there will never be a sequel to this story - you miss the whole point of the story if you want there to be one)

the full version of the poem reads....

Remember, remember the fifth of November,
the Gunpowder, treason, and plot,
I know of no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.
Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, 't was his intent
To blow up the King and Parliament.
Three score barrels of powder below,
Poor old England to overthrow;
By God's providence he was catch'd
With a dark lantern and burning match.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, make the bells ring.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!
Hip hip hoorah!

don't know why it's mentioned at the top yet though as it doesn't link to anything (yet).

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Sometimes SO puts up banners to reflect the general tone of the board. Like the time the ATS logo was upside down when political tones were getting heated. Maybe he just wants us to ponder what Guy Fawkes was all about,,,, I do hope it's a game though.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
November 5th is Guy Fawkes Night. It also has some other significance. I'll let SO explain when he gets back online.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Maybe video casting?

I did a search on the phrase and it popped up in this thread where the idea of ATS videocasting was brought up.

LINK

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Good film V for vendetta, basically its just reminding us to get up off our butts and wake up to the con I think. Remember the end too, what are they going to do if millions of us descend on our governments? blow us all away? I dont think so.. fact is tho how many people have the nerve or can be bothered? would it be worth it? would we just end up living in pure chaos?

You should watch the film cause it may be the only time you get to see parliament blown to pieces.

What gets me is they have us celebrating the fact on bonfire night that Guy Fawkes FAILED.. and I guess they are laughing at us.

Also that slogan is all round the edge of some new English 2 pound coins.... 'remember remember the 5th of november'............... why put it on our money? thats freaky..

Thats not the only one...

[edit on 09/22/2007 by Sekhemet]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pellevoisin
It is a day still waiting for a revolution.

Really?

As a British citizen, that's the first time i've heard that.

Also, did you know, the basement of Parliament is searched every 5th November for gun powder and explosives.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
5th of November, hmmm that should mean something, now what was it...

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Maybe an EPIC battle forthcoming within the confines of ATS's cyberspace...

Akin to the Bizarro world of Superman...

Could it be?

SO vs SU ?

Maybe something to do with SO's 3 most recent threads?

Hmmm... TheAboveNetwork......

[edit on 2007/9/24 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Guy Fawkes actually tells two tails at once, the first is one of revolution, an attempt of a few to overthrow an unjust (as they saw it) monarch, I believe this had to do with Church of England rejecting Catholics, correct me if I am wrong, I think another monarch was suppose to step in and go back to Catholicism from Protestant. Correct me if I am wrong this is from memory.

But there is another tale here folks. He failed. He was using violence he was trying to make a change, he did not succeed.

So tell me do they celebrate his attempt, remember the 5th as in V, or are they celebrating the fact that he failed, power structure just making sure people know rulers rule.

The third point is V. great movie, it defines the 5th of Nov for a new generation. If this is its meaning, WHERE IS MY MASK!! I never got one. not fair I say
which in itself is a comment.

but most likely it is V, and the thread poster is drawing the parallel where V was on TV, he was a terrorist and spoke to the people to try and incite revolution by seeding thoughts of discontent. Which is what could be said the speeches of today are trying to do.

[edit on 24-9-2007 by Redge777]

[edit on 24-9-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Do you know.. i've only just realised that the V in V for vendetta is also the roman numeral for 5. Everyone else most likely noticed that straight away but i feel i've learnt something

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
FiftyFifty..

Typical really isnt it. Even funnier you was on ATS 5 minutes ago when I read your post

[edit on 09/22/2007 by Sekhemet]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Very odd ...

When I went to SO's profile to see what the last three threads were, I found you can't access his posts or threads from the profile, getting the "you've requested a page that no longer exists" page.

But there is one for today titled BIG IDEA FOR NOVEMBER EVENT!

Can't find it on the board though. Has to do with a crop circle idea ...

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

It's probably in the secret forum that only high-level staff can access.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join