It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 3 minutes BEFORE the student got tasered @ Kerry's Q&A

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
^

An excellent example of freedom of speech. THANKS.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by myowncrusade

"Standing up" is not what that kid did...an immature publicity stunt which is neither nonviolent protest or meaningful political debate is instead what took place.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   

YES! The boy can be taught! See, freedom of speech is not acting like an idiot who is begging to get his ass whupped. Freedom of speech is best exemplified by meaningful communication that is likely to produce meaningful results. The events depicted in the movie Gandhi are a much better example of freedom of speech than the tripe witnessed in this video.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by uberarcanist

Well I'm pretty sure he thought what he was saying was important. Whether you agree ot not is unimportant, what is important is that the goons felt within their rights to detain then taze him.

If you think they did the right thing and empathise with the rentacops then I can't really say anymore to you.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Amazing. What a dufus! This guy was totally disruptive and out of control. He couldn't just ask his three questions. Noooooo! He had to lecture everyone before he got there. After he introduced the title to his book Kerry said, "I read it." Did that stop this guy? Nope, he didn't even hear Kerry. He wasn't listening and just kept right on running. Why couldn't he have said, "Great. Well, then as you know from X's book there were many discrepencies in the last election which you may have actually won. Why did you concede so early in the game? Second, why didn't you support impeaching Bush? And third, blah blah this question, too. Thank you."

But instead we get the Big Scene and loud rant. I felt like yelling: Would you ask the g.d. question and allow Kerry to answer! But, no. At that point it wasn't about listening to Kerry; it was all about him, the questioner, Mr. Sensational acting as if no one has ever heard this before.

So then he gets out of hand, starts running around, and the silly baby girl cops try to get him out. Only he's a foot and a half taller than any of them. What a joke! They try to take his book away and he just holds it above their heads like they were little kids--funniest thing I've ever seen. (So why do we hire midget cops in the name of equality, anyway?) So then we get the tazer scene: "Don't taze me, Bro! Ahhh!" This guy is a Drama Queen, truly. That will be better than "Let's Roll!" What great theater! Is he hurt? No, not permanently. Is he charged? Unlikely, and if he is: minor stuff. Is he shot? Nope. Denied a trial? Uh uh. Thrown in jail? Not for long. Instead, what is he: Famous. The guy was totally out of control, threw a temper tantrum like a two year old. Who's paying his tuition? Probably the taxpayers.

Now, you guys claiming 'Police State." Here's a police state: Same thing happens. They take him out and kill him dead on the steps, summary excecution. THAT'S a police state. You're acting like a tazer is a WMD. Geez, it's made specifically so it won't really hurt you. Here's a Police State: The cops round you up, your whole family, make you dig your own graves, then shoot you into them. Here's a Police State: Make a joke about the President, even a little one, get overheard, and disappear. (That would be President Saddam Hussein. That's what would happen to you if you even smiled at a joke about Saddam. Your fate? Stuck in an industrial shredder feet first (one in each village just to remind you). Remains in an umarked grave, if they bothered. Poor Saddam. Right.)

Free Speech: The guy can stand up on a soap box and rant all he wants, but that doesn't mean he's entitled to disupt a organized speech where people have come to hear the speaker, not him. He's entitled to ask his questions, but he's not entitled to lecture the speaker or the audience or rant on and disrupt the proceedings. Ask your question, receive answer, sit down. Next question. End of story. Now he'll write a book, be on all the talk shows, sue the midgit cops, trash talk any official he can think of, and, remarkably, still wind up alive in this 'Police State.'

God Bless America. She surely puts up with a lot of abuse from her own citizens. Rant on; I'm sure there will be plenty of outrage. Meh!

[edit on 9/20/2007 by schuyler]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

The guy started making a scene when a bunch of security guys forcefully tried to remove and cuff him, without warning from a public debate. I would do the same.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   

A lot of that stuff about Saddam Hussein was an urban legend. Other than that, I agree with you 100%. The mere fact that we HAVE tasers is evidence of the efforts of the law enforcement community to have the most humane ways to restrain perps available.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   

If he tries to gain publicity and nationwide notoriety while in the process of getting paid, I can then at least agree with part of your statement. I feel that he was basically just trying to put as much info as he could out to a listening crowd to get them to think and research as opposed to actually getting an answer.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Wow, how humane. Look how 21st century we are, we electrocute people we don't like instead of shooting them in the face.

Ps "perp" means perpetrator, relating to a crime. He perpetrated what crime, apart from being slightly annoying?

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by hybrid007

Given what this guy has done in the past, I don't think it's likely he was out to educate people. He had a reputation for being a prankster. I think he just wanted to cause a commotion and get his name in the campus paper, and he did just that.

Even if he did want to educate people, this is not the most effective way to do that...

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Freedom of speech is best exemplified by meaningful communication that is likely to produce meaningful results.

Obviously Kerry didn't think he wasn't exemplifying meaningful communication when he wanted to answer the questions. So, what was ILLEGAL again? That's the plain and bottom line here.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Hm. I thought you weren't going to respond to me anymore. Oh well. Anyways, the taser, under most circumstances, has no more effect than causing temporary pain and paralysis. It's certainly not perfect, but it is quite possibly the most humane aid to law enforcement ever invented.

I challenge you to come up with a more humane means for subduing potentially dangerous individuals.

link   

Oh is a subsersive?

He will be in gitmo by now then.

link   

Hm. I thought you weren't going to respond to me anymore. Oh well. Anyways, the taser, under most circumstances, has no more effect than causing temporary pain and paralysis. It's certainly not perfect, but it is quite possibly the most humane aid to law enforcement ever invented.

I challenge you to come up with a more humane means for subduing potentially dangerous individuals.

You know... deny ignorace, I feel it my duty.

Well 5 on 1 could of been take him outside and sit on him till he got bored of screaming?

That's how bouncers and cops deal with non-threatening people in the UK. Seems to work with no need for painful torture devices.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by myowncrusade]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I saw a, maybe no more than 20 year old, female get tased by a 250lb muscle bound cop for yelling. That is an abuse of power and cops should be trained on when to use a taser because that was completely uncalled for. I was standing beside her and felt the thud on the concrete when the officer tased her. With him being that big he could have used sheer intimidation to calm her down if he would have at least tried.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Well, if you really wanted to press charges, I think the case is here for a disturbance of the peace charge.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Yeah, I won't deny that cops do use this thing too much, but saying that these are the birth pangs of a police state is a bit much.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   

The mere fact that we HAVE tasers is evidence of the efforts of the law enforcement community to have the most humane ways to restrain perps available.

This is my opinion but I think it makes it too easy for officers to "decide" who is who. Zap everyone and ask questions later when all are either dead or severely wounded from 5 zaps of the taser.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Given what this guy has done in the past, I don't think it's likely he was out to educate people. He had a reputation for being a prankster. I think he just wanted to cause a commotion and get his name in the campus paper, and he did just that.

Even if he did want to educate people, this is not the most effective way to do that...

I can agree with the last statement

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Nah, probably just in his dorm room getting laid. He got released, Kerry apologized for something that wasn't his fault, and he is looking like a hero. Which is a damn shame, shows how screwed up the priorities of some in the media are.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join