It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq conflict has cost 1.2 million lives

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
Just to put a dose of reality into this, mainstream coverage of these numbers of dead and displaced Iraqis has been minimal to nonexistent especially in the United States, why?

The media doesn't like stories that require meaningful thought process and cant be sensationalized. To a degree the media does cater to the demands of consumers. The six o'clock news is more inclined to give coverage to NZ fashion week or NZ music month and that is why I have given up on the six o'clock news.

Most people simply do NOT care. Why?

Well most people don't have the benefit of ATS and when they come home at the end of the day they want to relax or think about other things.

Oh, and they arrested O.J. today!

That of course is a far easier story to cover and sensationalize then the Iraqi refuge situation. I suggest that members check this thread out.

[edit on 16-9-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
Just to put a dose of reality into this, mainstream coverage of these numbers of dead and displaced Iraqis has been minimal to nonexistent especially in the United States, why?
Most people simply do NOT care. Why?

Americans do care but since it's not on the liberal news that will mention everyone who died today , and probably blame it on the USA since they hate their own country so much, it couldn't have happened. The problem is not that American citizens don't care but that they are not being allowed to care by robbing them of a accurate picture of the world.

The reasons are hard to pin down, but somewhere between effective press controls and conditioning may lie the core to the answers.

Oh, and they arrested O.J. today!

Oh the press control in the USA is extraordinary effective in preventing a honest discussion on almost any issue imaginable. Why did the US media cover the Rwanda massacre and the crisis in Sudan but forget to mention the millions of dead in the DRC ( Congo) and in Angola? Is it because things were going according to plan in Congo , where around 4 million died just since the turn of the century, and Angola where 2 million died in a 25 year civil war?

They will cover things like OJ ( i'll go with 'thing' even though the clove did not fit) because it's clearly not newsworthy and that has always been their aim.

Stellar

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
It simply does not matter.

The real idea was never to liberate Iraq and to free the people from the paws of an evil dictator, who killed thousands of his own people. As we heard from several sides lately, the strongest reason was simply MONEY! Iraq has become one of the largest U.S. companies these days, and several billions of dollars are being made each day, that Iraqi lays in ruins and chaos - and while people in Iraq are dying on daily basis - and as we have seen, the overall civilian cost of illegal U.S. occupation of Iraq had reached 1.2 million lives. So far nothing much has changed. Soon oil in Iraq shall be in hands of private U.S. companies, while several warprofiteers are creating many fraudulent deals and even rob the U.S. soldiers for clean drinking water and loose billions of dollars worth of equipment, which needed to be delivered to Iraq.

And people have become completly numb to the everlasting violence in Iraq and yes - NOBODY cares anymore. It is daily news; well actually it is not news anymore, since it happenes everyday and we are used to it. So this thread is of course not getting any real attention and this report deserved 2 minutes of air-time on daily TV news shows and then we are back to sports...

Sad days for Humanity.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Souljah

But Souljah, something is happening, awareness is been created, today my daughter was on her my space page as many other college and high school young people and young adults. Guess what, my daughter tells me that they are talking, they are talking about the dangers of our nation is facing, the constitution reminder and that we have a government that needs to be deal with. . . they are passing the news, talking about it and they are posting their views and opinions.

Today my daughter signed up and saw a video of young well known actors reading the constitution and emphasizing that we the people have the right to take care of our elected government if the government is not working for the people as part of our constitutional rights, my daughter was pleased that is well known actors, actresses young and old that have an impact on the young people and they are very nicely reminding them what our constitution says and what they can do about it, under their constitutional rights.

So yes rest assure that is awareness reaching the younger and older population of this country.

I have faith.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
It simply does not matter.

Excellent point, says so much in so few words.

It doesn't matter to a shocking number of Americans, Europeans and even Middle Eastern sects.

Better these Iraqis die and are displaced in the name of liberation, freedom and democracy than any other conceivable option.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 02:48 AM
link   
please this is Bs the US gov says its only around 20,000 deaths Clearly you are wrong because Bush is right.

(intense Sarcasm)

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by UM_Gazz

Well - actually Bush once said, that "U.S. Will Take the Fight to the Terrorists" - but the question still remains, what do 1.2 million Iraqi civilians have to do with the "terrorists" who attacked United States of America on 9-11? Did they attack the WTC towers? Did Saddam maybe? What part did Iraq have in this attack? Actually when you think like this, you can see that all of them died not for democracy, or liberation, or freedom - they died, because few men with extreme power decided so. They made up the mind for everyone of us and everyone of them. The only difference is, that they are doing the dying and we are watching and becoming numb to the everlasting death, despair and destruction coming from this country. Still nobody knows the real numbers of casualties and every new report keeps on getting bigger and bigger. Sadly I think, that the numbers are still higher. So - if Bush wants to take the "Fight to the Terrorists", then that must mean, that Iraqi civilians are the terrorists, which U.S. is fighting - since they are dying in big numbers and chaos in Iraq does not seem to be any smaller then before. Which is sadly - good for business.

[edit on 19/9/07 by Souljah]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join