It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq conflict has cost 1.2 million lives

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Yep, it be true.

I wasn't sure myself until I double checked for that reply. I thought he did, but I have played C&C, so I had to be sure

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Welcome to the gamer era where the desensitized can easily accept the deaths and displacement of millions and can be seen as a necessary means to reach the next level and hopefully win the game.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by UM_Gazz

Yeah, speaking of the gamer era, I saw a show the other day about Predator drones. That looks like a game. No wonder the pilots are so awfully desensitized. You don't even have to be in the same country where the battle is...

How brave :shk:

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Much of modern warfare today involves a great deal of extremely high tech methods, I suppose the further detached we are from the actual killing the more 'game' like it is to those involved, why not make it fun for them?

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
reply to post by UM_Gazz

My husband section have one model hanging from the ceiling because now they are working with them.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Maybe one day war can be done in all aspects from the safety of an underground safe site away from the war zone, no troops, all automated tanks, drone aircraft etc, soldiers would simply serve in support roles, logistics and repairs of the 'machines' of war. The dawn of the totally automated army! The ultimate game?

Too bad so many fail to see the reality as it is already. One day the victims of our wars may cross our borders at home in vast numbers to retaliate against any and all of us, by any and all means they can, perhaps it is already happening. The game will not be as fun then.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Any intelligent, responsible adult can distinguish between a game and reality.

For example, on Medieval Total War 2 I will execute ALL prisoners and pillage EVERY city, killing tens of thousands.

In real life, should I ever be in such a position, I wouldn't do that.

In ARMA: Armoured Assault, I specifically design missions that have towns full of civilians, for a realistic feel. Some of them get brutally killed by accident, some I might execute if I cannot find the enemy.

In real life, I wouldn't do that.

Plenty more examples I could cite, but I play far too many games!

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

What if you were in uniform, acting under orders, sitting at the controls of a drone aircraft armed with missiles and firing them on civilian targets all displayed with important information on your large flat screen monitor?

I believe most people are so far removed from the harsh reality of today's Iraq war that they could care less about the numbers killed, or displaced. It is simply not important to most Americans who would rather remain oblivious to it, work their jobs, watch movies, play video games and surf the web, at least until we are attacked at home again sparking a new level of interest for a period of time.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
reply to post by stumason

Welcome to the gamer era where the desensitized can easily accept the deaths and displacement of millions and can be seen as a necessary means to reach the next level and hopefully win the game.

this phenomenom has been around at least since wwii, and probably since recorded history, long before videogames in either case.

back on topic, if those numbers are even close to accurate, even within 50%, the repercussions are unfathomable (to me anyway).

yes, i believe in karma.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by UM_Gazz

Do you think that drones can be use to target areas in Iran without the physical present of any air planes in Iran air space and have the same kind of results?

For what I read somewhere in the net they are suppose to be amazing.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Of course, the advancement in both the technologies involved in drone aircraft and attack drones as well as the numbers manufactured or readily available to the military would indicate that its use as a weapon or perhaps even a primary weapon of war now or in the not too distant future is highly likely. Also as programming controls and automation of these drones make them more independent in the battle field they could have the potential to kill on their own.

Would the U.S. use drones in a war with Iran?

I am sure they would, they already have in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The best part, drones do not question orders!

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
"See what happens? See what happens Lebowski?"

Bush once said "Freedom's on the march!" in reference to action in the middle east. With 1.2 million dead, maybe he can rephrase it to "The Grim-Reaper is on the march!"

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Wow...

Wasn't one of the many reasons for ousting Saddam, the genocide of 300,000 Kurds, or something like that? I know there were many reasons, but I do recall this being a "fact" that struck the hearts of many US patriots, to bolster support for this war.

But 1,200,000 Iraqis isn't genocide... it's liberation?

Anyone else see a problem with this?

[edit]Change "civilians" to "Iraqis" as not to insinuate everyone's innocent[/edit]

[edit on 9/16/2007 by Infoholic]

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Any intelligent, responsible adult can distinguish between a game and reality.

For example, on Medieval Total War 2 I will execute ALL prisoners and pillage EVERY city, killing tens of thousands.

Which is a pretty bad idea if you were a good strategist.
It makes very little economic sense to pillage or kill anyone as far as i am concerned.

Right but i can't even bring myself to do it in a game? Have you ever heard of the word 'principle'?

In ARMA: Armoured Assault, I specifically design missions that have towns full of civilians, for a realistic feel. Some of them get brutally killed by accident, some I might execute if I cannot find the enemy.

In real life, I wouldn't do that.

I'm just not so sure i am going to take your word for it.

Plenty more examples I could cite, but I play far too many games!

Me too...

Stellar

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infoholic
But 1,200,000 Iraqis isn't genocide... it's liberation?

Perhaps in the Middle East liberation is a form of genocide, if so then did those who planned this war both know and expect these results? If they did then perhaps they are guilty.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   

from an article on AlterNet | Is the United States Killing 10,000 Iraqis Every Month? Or Is It More?
300 Iraqis killed by Americans each day sounds like an impossible figure, but a close look at the reported numbers of violent deaths and rate of armed patrols makes it all too likely.

That's purported to be the number of Iraqis killed by American troops, due to rules of engagement that put the capture or death of single suspected insurgents over the lives of multiple civilians.

from the article
That wasn't the worst of it, because the death rate was increasing precipitously, and during the first half of 2006 the monthly rate was approximately 30,000 per month, a rate that no doubt has increased further during the ferocious fighting associated with the current American surge.

These figures, coupled with the 4.2 million plus now displaced, both those who were "lucky" enough to flee the conflict to Syria and Jordan, and those who have left their homes but can not leave the country, paint a picture of human suffering of an appalling magnitude.

It looks like the plan is to run everyone out of the country and/or kill everyone who stays.

The latest figures for the Iraqi War as of Sept.12th

[edit on 16-9-2007 by goosdawg]

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Iraq is something beyond a disaster I hope that the American right who called its detractors anti American and traitors are happy. I am going to remember that kind of treatment for a very long time.
Lets see here.
1.2 million deaths plus
4.1 million refuges.
That means that Iraq population has shrunk by 5.3 million people in four years. Syria is on the verge of a humanitarian disaster because the country infrastructure cant cope with the number refuges. Just to top the icing on the Cake Sweden has taken more Iraqi refuges then the USA has.

At least Ford had the guts and sense of what is right when he ensured that refuges from South Vietnam found a home in the US.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Just to put a dose of reality into this, mainstream coverage of these numbers of dead and displaced Iraqis has been minimal to nonexistent especially in the United States, why?

Most people simply do NOT care. Why?

The reasons are hard to pin down, but somewhere between effective press controls and conditioning may lie the core to the answers.

Oh, and they arrested O.J. today!

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
Iraq is something beyond a disaster I hope that the American right who called its detractors anti American and traitors are happy. I am going to remember that kind of treatment for a very long time.

It's a calamity of Biblical proportions brought about, in part, by those who would profess to be adherents to the "good book's" literal interpretation.

Who now shirk their duty and smugly look the other way when it comes to rectifying the humanitarian debacle this appallingly blatant and loathsome grab for oil has become.

I, for one, do not wish these beslubbering beef-witted canker-blossoms any measure of happiness what-so-ever.

And, indeed, the entire world should remember "that kind of treatment" for all time.

We can only hope.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Ignorance is bliss.

Deny ignorance!

Wake up from the post 9/11 coma America.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join