It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kathy Griffin tells Jesus to "Suck it!"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Rebutting her statement and taking issue with the general sentiment behind her comments is not getting "uptight" about it. It is a natural response from a rational person confronted with offensive behavior. We can't all be Martin Niemollers. If no one speaks out against hate speech, it will only become more vitriolic.

I can't be held to your aspersions as to my mental state, taken from a few words exchanged on a discussion board. I can assure that I am not "uptight" about this, though. Are you?

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

if you're not uptight then i'm not laughing at you....
am i? nope.

as for contronted with something offensive, unless she was talking TO YOU, then you were confronted with nothing.

edit*

this is your first post
----
I call for a complete boycott of this woman and her vile brand of humor.

Where is the outrage? Where is the response from this nation's religious leaders?

As a Christian, I am called to forgive. I won't forget, though.
-----

sounds to me, you are pretty uptight....so yeah, i'm getting a kick.
you can forgive, but you can't forget[/drama]
:bnghd:

[edit on 1-10-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I hope this gets kathy from the D list to the A list. She's a very funny girl and with being a comedian, she's liable to make fun of any and all situations. One thing noted in this thread. Those who are religious, demonstrate a personally dissed reaction. Is that the christian way. To me, she's simply entertainment.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by WorldShadow

well, icarus has called for a boycott of her vile brand of humor...thats just one dude though.

i think it is humor too, though maybe not for all.

to get all in a tizzy though, seems silly.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Yeah, well things don't always end up the way they start out, do they? That first post is pretty much out of context at this point, but it figures you'd bring it up. Another hollow attempt at discrediting and mischaracterizing the evolution of thought this thread represents.

How do you know I didn't start off strong with a bold statement on purpose to draw attention and responses to the thread? It wouldn't be the first time I've done that. I even recognized and confessed to my initial knee-jerk response in subsequent posts. What more do you want? Is there another cheap thrill in this for you?

[edit on 1-10-2007 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

no thrill at all really. just answering questions, being honest.
of course i brought that post up...thats the post that you started the thread with, when you were in a tizzy.

just being honest and nothing personal but if you get bent over something like that coming from a comic, then i get a decent lol at that.
what can i say?

as far as knee jerk reaction...maybe
imo though, you got bent and said what you felt....nothing wrong with that. it's your opinion. thats what is right for you.

feel how you feel. i will do the same.

edit*

even though you realized she was just pulling a chain, you still feel like she should issue a retraction though...why man?
retract what...
she either said it to get a rise or she really feels that way..either way, she is allowed that.
she should not be 'forced' to and i hope she does not retract....(i missed if she already did)...
i think people need to stand by what they say.

if people don't agree/like it, thats their problem.

[edit on 1-10-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Hey, I hear you, and some of what I've said on this thread has been purposely thrown out there to provoke thought or bring added attention. Written words are a poor medium for transfering accurate impressions of emotional states, and I tend to sound a little heavy at times. At no time have I been even close to a "tizzy", though I have made several attempts to engage provocative responses with appropriate verbiage.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
Hey, I hear you, and some of what I've said on this thread has been purposely thrown out there to provoke thought or bring added attention.

sounds to me like you did the same thing she did.
ever think about that?

just like stoking the fires do ya?

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
This is several orders of magnitude less obnoxious, imo. And with all the thread traffic here on The ATS Network, it can sometimes take a lot to get the attention of other members. I like to spice things up a little here and there sometimes. Maybe I over did it a little here this time.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
^ It's cool. Gotta keep things interesting, no?

What she said clearly was vulgar and rude, but I don't think anyone should be offended by it. If she wanted to make the point, she should've said it much more gracefully like...

"I don't want to thank God for this award because I feel like I've earned it without supernatural intervention."

if even at all.

Kathy Griffin's really funny a lot of the time. Comedians' jobs are to make people laugh, not make people angry. She made an oopsie. Forgive her. Everyone has their moments.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Paresthesia

maybe she was trying to be vulgar...

lots of comedians have made careers out of it

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
^ True, but I personally don't like this new offensive brand of comedy *cough* Carlos Mencia, Sarah Silverman *cough*. I liked the time when people actually put some thought into their jokes and didn't have to be religiously and racially discriminative to get attention.

My point is that I don't think she should've said it, but since she already did, people should just forgive her and move on.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
lets not get too crazy here... there are ways to be crude and disrespectful, but still very funny. For example, Bill Hicks and Doug Stanhope.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Paresthesia

maybe some people just don't get it.

i don't know mencia but i dig sarah silverman.
richard pryor back in the day'lenny bruce

thats my kind of comedy....

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I think Kathy Griffin is pretty funny. At times yeah man she can be annoying. But I enjoy her stand up nonetheless.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join