It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we at DEFCON 3?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 04:22 AM
link   
We have been at DEFCON 3 since the end of WWII. Yuh notice?

Be alarmed if we ever hit DEFCON 1 (ALSTAT RED), which is what we were at after 9/11.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starlight Angel
We have been at DEFCON 3 since the end of WWII. Yuh notice?

Be alarmed if we ever hit DEFCON 1 (ALSTAT RED), which is what we were at after 9/11.

What? Everything I have looked at says we are normally at DEFCON 4.

We have only went to DEFCON 3 on 9/11, the 1st Gulf War, The Yom Kippur War, and Cuban Missile Crisis. We actually got down to DEFCON 2 during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

[edit on 10/9/07 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Same here. The site you linked to is one of the ones I saw. I also went out to usa.gov and searched around... found some PDF's and such, but nothing very definitive and to the point.

I did read about a special thing that can be activated if we go to DEFCON 3. Its called MINIMIZE and it has something to do with controlling information transfer...

MINIMIZE - PDF File

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Just a thought, it would not be out of credulousness to believe members of the military may have stand down an order to blitz Iran.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by damajikninja

From what I can tell it appears The DOD can control access and usage of the Internet and any other electronic communications during DEFCON 3.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 04:44 AM
link   
They see and hear everything since 911. True Americans will continue to speak their mind regardless.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Starlight Angel

Are you sure your XO is the one changing the LERTCON posture or even has the authority to issue a Warning Order for LERTCON change?

Helpful link:

www.navy.mil...

[edit on 10/9/07 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
The mounting of those bombs were an accident so if we are at DEFCON 3 because of that, then i guess we are accidently at DEFCON 3 which really means that we aren't at DEFCON 3. Comprende?

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

My understanding (limited, as I will freely admit) is that the mounting of those nuclear-tipped missiles to a B-52 at Minot was a serious FUBAR in procedure, not any indication of a change in Defense Condition. As evidence, I'd point out that six nuclear weapons aren't exactly a serious effort by the Air Combat Command (I keep wanting to call it SAC!). Add to that the fact that at least one officer at Minot has already lost his job (and he'll probably have plenty of company cleaning the latrines in Thule Greenland with his tongue before all the fecal matter settles down from this), and it looks more and more like "On the fritz" than "On the Beach".

That said, DEFCON 3 (or its modern analogue) is about where we spend most of our time. The condition can change based on anything from a sudden news event to a suspected attack on U.S. territory though, so we might drift down to four occasionally, or up to 2 (very rarely). I'd be more worried about the failure in the tracking and handling of live nuclear munitions than about a change in DEFCON. I'm still surprised that Colorado Springs hasn't suffered a sudden rash of small earthquakes from General LeMay hitting high RPM in his grave...and only slightly less surprised that he didn't come right OUT of said grave and shamble up to Minot for some personal, posthumous keister-kicking over this mess!

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
Does anyone know if any Drills or Exercise are planned within the Continental United States tommorow? I think that may be very important if there are.

from a little black bird we are about o start some "exercises" involving martial law. Be ware all you free thinkers. This may be the beginging for Police State 2008.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   

reply to post by damajikninja

From what I can tell it appears The DOD can control access and usage of the Internet and any other electronic communications during DEFCON 3.

don't forget FEMA

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
They see and hear everything since 911. True Americans will continue to speak their mind regardless.

Yeah, ever hear of a little program called "ECHELON"? The NSA boys down at Meade can practically read your mind by now.

I called some brothers at Little Creek, Pendleton, Geiger, and Twentynine Palms today... nothing the ground pounders know about any elevation in ALTSTAT for tomorrow. All the same, I've got my bottled water, canned ham, and plenty of ammunition... OORAH!

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Why would we be bumped up to Defcon 3 just cause of accidental transport of nuclear warheads?

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Why would we be bumped up to Defcon 3 just cause of accidental transport of nuclear warheads?

Maybe it wasnt an accident. Would it be possible to go to DEFCON 3 but secretly so as not to alarm the public ? If someone blew the whistle maybe that why this has been displayed as an accident. I highly doubt the incident was an accident. Somewhere someone must of approved this.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja

The military does use Defense Readiness Condition (DEFCON) levels to indicate status of the US Armed Forces. In the UK, they use BIKINI status levels.

However, I agree that we are unlikely to be at DEFCON 3 currently.

[edit on 9/10/2007 by damajikninja]

We have actually only been at DEFCON 3 one time in our entire history (of the DEFCON system) .. and that was during the Cuban Missile Crisis, where we ordered troops and missiles around the world to active stations to prepare for war at any second..

Even after 9/11 we where not at DEFCON 3, I believe we where at lvl 2, though I am not sure. Either way DEFCON levels activate certain troops, DEFCON 3 can activate the entire army into battle readiness .. however I understand that DEFCON levels can be used for intra regional sources as well, for instance a DEFCON 3 can be issued for all bases and troops in the ME region, or the EU region or the South Pacific ect. Of course someone with better military know how would probably be better suited to explain.

Looking around on the web I found that our nuclear arsenal is ALWAYS at DEFCON 4. So sure, I suppose that specific plane may have been under DEFCON 3 or 4. One branch can be at DEFCON without the entire armed forces.

Also I made a mistake, after 9/11 we where at DEFCON 3. Not during the war though.

[edit on 9/10/2007 by Rockpuck]

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Maybe it wasnt an accident. Would it be possible to go to DEFCON 3 but secretly so as not to alarm the public ? If someone blew the whistle maybe that why this has been displayed as an accident. I highly doubt the incident was an accident. Somewhere someone must of approved this.

Alarm the public? This is about informing all branches of the U.S. military to be prepared and raise the level of awareness. Theres no logic in keeping it secret if you want the military to be prepared for something.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

I have seen information passed on to commanders that was not available to general public or regular soldiers regarding Threatcons and Warning Orders. I'm not suggesting it was kept secret from the military. Commanders would have their orders. The people that need to know would know. Alerts would be issued when the lower enlisted need to know and be mobilized. I have seen this done numerous times.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja

In the UK, they use BIKINI status levels.

[edit on 9/10/2007 by damajikninja]

So the US has DEFCON and we have ...
wait for it ...
BIKINI

LOL is that an itsy teeny weeny polka dot bikini?

Sorry, but that kind of made my evening!

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
SO how are we at DEFCON 3 when this whole thing was an accident?

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
SO how are we at DEFCON 3 when this whole thing was an accident?

All nuclear weapons and their handlers are always at DEFCON 3 or 4.

So this plane would have been under such orders I suppose. Except technically the plane was supposed to be loaded with nukes, however the "accident" came when someone "accidentally" .. put the nukes on their cruise missiles and THEN loaded them on the plane.

The bombs where supposed to be dismantled, as they where on their way to be decomishoned.

However, the US government does not talk about mistakes with nukes, or mistakes in general. Why oh why was this story leaked?

Any ways, as my post above says different military branches operate differently at the same time.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join