It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

f-104 zero length takeoff

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
here is some video of an f-104 using what looks like a rocket to takeoff without a runway. at the bottom theres 20-30 other videos of revolutionary flight tech, and some other cool #e.

www.airandspacemagazine.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I thought it would be VTOL, but launching an airplane like a missile. How interesting.

I suppose this would offer an advantage because it's alot faster, and it wouldn't melt the runway like regular VTOLs do sometimes.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Cool. Check out the 747 anti symmetrical flutter. It looks like a fishie swimming.

747 flutter

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Cool. Check out the 747 anti symmetrical flutter. It looks like a fishie swimming.

747 flutter

WOW!

That's the first time I've ever seen that done on an airplane. But wouldn't that make the aplane very unstable, structurally speaking? With all that movement and the force of wind hitting going at such high speeds, there would be too much stress on the axes and the thing would fall apart. Maybe they designed it so that wouldn't happen, or reinforced the parts...

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I remember as a small child flying on a 707 and my mom made sure I got a window seat so that I would stay occupied by looking out the window. Unfortunately I got a seat over the wing where I got a good view of all the flexing that the wing goes through on takeoff. lt did not reassure me one bit.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It looks like it's trying to waddle walk....lol.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
It looks like it's trying to waddle walk....lol.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Am I seeing things, or is there really a German Air Force Cross on the front side of the plane? I knew that the Germans have, or had, the Starfighter, but the video looks like it's from the late sixties.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
actually, i think they are made to flex so that they won't snap. like buildings that are built to handle earthquakes. if it was completely stiff, all the pressure would be at the weakest point, and it would probly break easier

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
how cool is that F-100 launching from INSIDE THE BARN...

I can see the downside of it though.. What goes up must come down....

and when you come down... expect a runway or your punching out of hard earned dollars.....

Maybe this is why the idea has been stagnant.

Chris

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheConservative
Am I seeing things, or is there really a German Air Force Cross on the front side of the plane? I knew that the Germans have, or had, the Starfighter, but the video looks like it's from the late sixties.

The German Air Force was famous for the Starfighter. It was the German production of the Starfighter which gave their defense industries a much needed boost. I think I have seen more great Starfighters bearing German insignia than any other.

posted on Sep, 13 2022 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConservative

The Luftwaffe did an experiment in the 1960s involving launches of the F-104G with the Zero Length Launch system. More info is found at this link:
theaviationist.com...

top topics

join