It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rise Of The machines! A Step Closer To Human Extinction?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Yes! The rise of the machines! Does this sound alarmist? But it seems the day is fast approaching when sci fi mimics reality with self replicating robots posing a threat to humankind! Notwithstanding this scenario, scientists have now built the first artificial cerebellum to help robots interact with humans. And they’re covering them up with artificial skins too! Probably 50 years down the line, it would be impossible to distinguish between a human and a robot! They’ll have the mechanical dexterity, unlimited power supply and the brains.

Scientists in Spain have achieved a giant leap for robotkind by building the first artificial cerebellum to help them interact with humans. The cerebellum is the portion of the brain that controls motor functions.

The project will now implant the man-made cerebellum into a robot so as to make its movements and interaction with humans more natural. The overall goal is to incorporate the cerebellum into a robot designed by the German Aerospace Centre in two year's time.
cordis.europa.eu...

Von Neumann made the first rigorous study of self-replicating machines - the next step in evolution. But will they eventually displace human beings? Will they be able to challenge humanity, as in the movie "Terminator 3", or will this remain a science fiction fantasy forever? This scenario might unfold via unforeseen malfunctions of a von Neumann machine, or through purposeful malicious technology.

Now read on….

Armed Robots On Patrol In Iraq!

Robots have been roaming the streets of Iraq, since shortly after the war began. Now, for the first time -- the first time in any warzone – the machines are carrying guns.

After years of development, three "special weapons observation remote reconnaissance direct action system" (SWORDS) robots have deployed to Iraq, armed with M249 machine guns. The 'bots "haven't fired their weapons yet," Michael Zecca, the SWORDS program manager, tells DANGER ROOM. "But that'll be happening soon."
blog.wired.com...

Bill Joy, chief scientist of Sun Microsystems, writing in an article in the April issue of Wired magazine, expressed his concern that self-reproducing robots could displace biological life, and he suggested that scientists ought to avoid developing some technologies.
www.nytimes.com...

So what do we have now? The first artificial cerebellum built and armed Robots in Iraq! Put both together, make them autonomous and self replicating like the Von Neuman pods, and what do we have? The rise of the machines!

Have a nice day while it lasts!

Cheers!

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   
First off, i gave you star, great post.

I remember there was apost like this a little while ago, about terminator being here, so i tracked down my post and found the address, the US goverment have been thinking about and trying to create warrior robots to use in wars instead of the conventional human.

stinet.dtic.mil...

Take Care, Vix

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Fantastic thread. I loved T3 rise of the machines. I've seen it numerous times too. about the machines taking over. I highly doubt that they can win in the end. yes, the war will be long and painful, but when they do become smarter than us, we will become smarter than them and beat them in the end. It's not going to be like the terminator movies, but it will be close. I think machines could hit us using our computer programs to shut down all our resources, but we will need to fight them using our hands and combat skills, not using computers..

if a war ever starts with them, I have a hammer ready to knock em out!

sty

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
What about a radio-hack ??

sty

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I do not believe that machines would take over us very soon. 50 years ago we believed that computers will take our jobs away.In our days - the greatest number of jobs arise within the IT field . I beleive we will just use the technology , unless is designed to harm us.
Just in case- good to know - the electrical circuits can be destroyed by simply having a strong radiation (gama radiation, like the one from the solar explosions, or radio or micowaves ) or any strong EM radiation. Robots are usless if a "radio bomb" is placed . How is wotking? Bit like a solar panel. An Electro-magnetical wave (light in the case of the solar panels ) passing an electrical circuit would produce electrical charge in the circuit. If we talk about a processor, this can be fatal even in small quantity ... so - do not accept any microchip implants to keep yourself safe

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
they can arm these robots as much as possible but if they fall over they're done. once the robots learn how to balance and pick themselves up, that's when we can start to worry...

in my opinion, whoever comes up with the technology to disables machines and networks from safe distances will be king.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I'll be concerned when scientists are able to replicate the human mind in its entirety. We're not there yet, but we will arrive there within the next 15 years, when we couple all of the potential of the human mind with the processing speed of a computer where this mapped mind would live. This is the point where technology will be able to improve not only on its own speed, but it's operations to make itself smarter. At that moment, technology will become infinite. Via artificial means, we will have the ability to deduce anything, discover everything. Technology will move too fast and the only humans able to keep up will be those who are either fitted with cybernetic speed-enhancing thought process, or those humans who can actually transfer their consciousness to a computer. I would like to think humans would have a choice of "moving" to a hard drive or living their physical life. Seems like a great solution to solve the rising population issue.

Machines will artificially intelligent motor functions are a step in a process that grows ever-shorter. They will not have the capability to turn against humans. The moment they're inserted with an artificial consciousness, however, all rules go out the window.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I think that if man does create a robot to kill, we are in trouble. just think of a robotlike porcupine type with sharp edges and blades all around..that thing could kill nonstop and cause a lot of damage. I wouldn't want to get close to any robots that are designed to kill.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

they would have to expose free energy to the public, otherwise we would just have to wait for the batteries to die.

sty

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Probably the AI would have to actually create a biological body in order to take over us. I believe that (if we do not extinct due self-destruction) within the next 30 years we will see the first bio-computer embeded in humans. This would be the end of what we call human, but hopefully it would enhance rather than supress the humans.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Wouldnt an EMP being able to knock some robots, or would an EMP machine have its own AI, how about a dead nukes, no power except a blow switch, blow it up few miles above Machine city, or where evr they run to.

Take Care, Vix

sty

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Nukes would make big times! However as faar as I know humans are also affected by the atomic radiation haha. I am sure there would be a way to produce the radiation bomb without the atomic stuff ( just EM radiation ) . Another way can be actually from space - produce microwaves with huge solar panels and beam it to the target - better than nukes i guess

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
You could also use "heat sticks" something like lightsabers from the star wars movies

and swing at them knockin' em out!

sty

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

very good ideea for personal-defence! Bit like your hot-dog experiment
)

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
As mankind progresses understanding more of genetics and the creation of biological computers using DNA, the ultimate evolution of the Robot will no longer be mechanical but biological.

The biological robot is best suited to take over the roles of mankind in several areas such as replication, medication, propulsion and further biological enhances to protect the outer shell which mechanical means would limit severly.

It's not mechanical engineer tinkerers that you should fear. They create only destructable toys.

Its those in white overalls covered up from head to toe in surgical suits working in enclosed modulated environments playing with test-tubes filled with genetic samples that you should fear of being replaced as a human, as we know it/us.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
One big problem..

Science doesn't even understand consciousness in it's entirety. How will they then replicate it then?

This scenario is only possible in a Newtonian view of reality IMHO.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Sure, they've created an artificial "cerebellum", and I use that in the loosest of terms as I'm sure the scientists who created it do as well. All that does is allow the robot to balance somewhat and gives it a sense of it's range of motion. It has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence or decision-making.

We are so incredibly far off from robots being able to reproduce, let alone take over, that it's laughable. We have yet to even produce a robot that is capable of reliably respond to limited voice commands. If a robot can't learn dialect and changes in speech pattern, it most certainly cannot learn the concept of death (necessary for killing a human, otherwise how will it know when the threat is removed?) or life (how can it create another robot and give it "life" if it has no concept of what being alive means?).

All robots, regardless of what technology we may develop, will necessarily need a power source. All we have to do is remove that power source, be it knocking out a power plant or shutting down an electrical grid, and we have won. Other than that, I don't see why conventional weapons wouldn't work on machines. A few rounds from a handgun should fry just about any advanced computer system, I imagine. A processor or hard disk is no good with a hole through it.

Matt

[edit on 9/5/2007 by VneZonyDostupa]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vixion
Wouldnt an EMP being able to knock some robots, or would an EMP machine have its own AI, how about a dead nukes, no power except a blow switch, blow it up few miles above Machine city, or where evr they run to.

Take Care, Vix

Well, if they could produce 'brains', then EMP 'shielding' ain't no big deal!

Battery-operated robots would be a solution, which have cords of only a few inches in length. This short stretch of metal puts the device within the troughs of the EMP wave and so will not get a damaging concentration of electrons.

If you don't want to shove in a lot of batteries for every robot then you'll need to use equipment that is "hardened" against EMP. But by then, batteries would be passe and some other power source would have been invented!

[edit on 5-9-2007 by mikesingh]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Technology doubles every 18 months. The more we learn and discover, the easier it gets to learn and discover, and improve. When scientists are able to effectively create a system that has its own consciousness, it will begin learning, discovering, and improving on itself faster and faster until it reaches that singularity where all information is available, and no stones are left unturned.

At this point, taking out a power supply would mean nothing. By the time our human strategists could formulate a plan to cut out power supplies that AI utilizes, AI would have 1) neutralized the human threat, and 2) improved on their own energy issues in such a way that we can't neutralize them.

But i dont think AI will end in war or the extinction of the human race. Maybe as we know it, sure. When the singularity comes (by 2030), humans will have the ability to "move" their consciousness from their own bodies to a location such as a computer, where we can exist without the worry of time and mortality. One benefit would be the ease of space travel. 3 million light years isn't so bad when you don't have the limitation of time, where upon arrival the AI in your craft has created a new organic vessel you and your crew can occupy while you're there. No space suit required, as the vessels can be created to suit the environments in which the crew would be in.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa
We have yet to even produce a robot that is capable of reliably respond to limited voice commands. If a robot can't learn dialect and changes in speech pattern, it most certainly cannot learn the concept of death Matt

[edit on 9/5/2007 by VneZonyDostupa]

yeah..commands.the problem arises at precisely the point where commands are no longer a concern.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join