It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rise Of The machines! A Step Closer To Human Extinction?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Cyfre
Technology doubles every 18 months. The more we learn and discover, the easier it gets to learn and discover, and improve. When scientists are able to effectively create a system that has its own consciousness, it will begin learning, discovering, and improving on itself faster and faster until it reaches that singularity where all information is available, and no stones are left unturned.

Like I said. Science doesn't really know for sure what consciousness and where it comes from. They assume it's produced by the brain and that they can produce it with a machine. These are not fact, but merely assumptions. In fact there is strong evidence that consciousness is actually independent of the brain thread here. So based on that evidence, for your scenario to happen they would have to reliably be able to direct a consciousness into a machine, they won't be able to generate one. There is no technology for that as far as I know. AI will just be AI and not consciousness.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by aylyan

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa
We have yet to even produce a robot that is capable of reliably respond to limited voice commands. If a robot can't learn dialect and changes in speech pattern, it most certainly cannot learn the concept of death Matt

[edit on 9/5/2007 by VneZonyDostupa]

yeah..commands.the problem arises at precisely the point where commands are no longer a concern.

A machine can't begin to learn without commands. Even with AI, you would have to have some way to express ideas and concepts to the machine in order for it to learn.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Like I said. Science doesn't really know for sure what consciousness and where it comes from. They assume it's produced by the brain and that they can produce it with a machine. These are not fact, but merely assumptions. In fact there is strong evidence that consciousness is actually independent of the brain thread here. So based on that evidence, for your scenario to happen they would have to reliably be able to direct a consciousness into a machine, they won't be able to generate one. There is no technology for that as far as I know. AI will just be AI and not consciousness.

I believe consciousness is independent of the brain, and that our bodies receive that consciousness. When we die, the consciousness is once again separated from the brain.

My scenario doesn't make it impossible for humans to create a consciousness. If/when we learn more about consciousness, how it works, etc, we should be able to create a consistent working model in a virtual environment. We do have the computing power and the processing speed. We just need more understanding of consciousness. I think we're getting there.

I believe we'll make the move from physical to virtual, transferring consciousness like that, but the technology will be something that is able to unseat consciousness from our bodies. I think brain entrainment and other frequency-based manipulation of the brain is one of the first examples of this we're seeing today.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Like I said. Science doesn't really know for sure what consciousness and where it comes from. In fact there is strong evidence that consciousness is actually independent of the brain.

AI will just be AI and not consciousness.

But would the robots actually need 'real consciousness'? A malicious self generating embedded software code can do more damage than a conscious intelligence.

All a terrorist org would need do is to imbed this code into a machine or cyborg, make it autonomous and let it loose. Not just one, but hundreds of them. At a later stage they could be made to replicate themselves and multiply in geometric progression like a Von Neuman machine. There's going to be mayhem for sure!

But then we're talking way into the future. Probably 500 years from now?

I ain't gonna be here! So, Cheers!

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Well a software program would still be predictable and programmable of course.

Btw.. I've found an interesting article about transhumanism:

The most dangerous idea on earth?

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Btw.. I've found an interesting article about transhumanism:

The most dangerous idea on earth?

Fascinating read! I especially liked this part....

According to Nick Bostrom, transhumanists believe “that the human species in its current form does not represent the end of our development but rather a comparatively early phase".

What if in the later phase we transform into some sort of cyborgs in the future? Imagine dealing with self replicating terrorist cyborgs with malicious software! I wouldn't like to be anywhere near!

Cheers!

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   
typical of a faithless being who knows not his own abilities. Being human, isnt to be great, but to humble ourselves. Similar to those who have humbled themselves to creating AI. So what made us?

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I came up with this drawing of a killing robot. I named it CT-36. It has laser weapons, radar, microwave focused gun, and 10,000 rounds of ammo ready to kill anyone in sight. let me know if you like it.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
I came up with this drawing of a killing robot. I named it CT-36. It has laser weapons, radar, microwave focused gun, and 10,000 rounds of ammo ready to kill anyone in sight. let me know if you like it.

Where the devil is your drawing? I can't see it. Or did that killing robot of yours yank his mug off this thread? They don't like publicity, you know!
And why 'CT-36'?

Cheers!

[edit on 10-9-2007 by mikesingh]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join