It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terror Attack In Copenhagen Foiled - Al Qaeda

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Danish intelligence arrested eight people last night. They raided several appartments and found weapons. They also found that they were in process of making a bomb. The arrested were militant islamists with connections to Al Qaeda. The arrested were all male and between 19 and 28 years old. Their origins were from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia and Turkey. The Danish intelligence say more arrests are likely, and they say that last night's raids prevented a terror attack!

In English:
BBC: Denmark arrests 'bomb' suspects

Other Sources:
Politiken.dk: PET: Terroranholdte har al-Qaeda forbindelse (in danish...)
Ekstra Bladet: Otte anholdt for terrorplaner (in danish...)
Ekstra Bladet: Taxa-chauffør og elektriker bag bombeplaner (in danish...)
Dagbladet: Hadde kontakt med ledere i al-Qaida (in norwegian...)

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   
It's great that we all seem to be much better at finding and breaking up these plots before they happen, yet it's also worrisome that they exist at all. You know one of these days one of these cells will get lucky and pull off a deadly attack.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
11 addresses were raided. They've been "producing an unstable explosive in a densely populated area". The target is still unknown, or they wouldn't tell...

BBC

Eleven addresses were raided in Copenhagen during the overnight police operation, police said.

Buildings in the city's southern suburb of Ishoej and its Noerrebro district - both with large immigrant populations - were among those cordoned off by police.

The suspects held on Monday had been under surveillance for some time, police said. Six of them are reportedly Danish citizens.

"With the arrests, we have prevented a terror attack," Jakob Scharf, an official from the Danish police intelligence agency said.

"They also have been producing an unstable explosive in a densely populated area," Mr Scharf said.

He gave no details of what might have been the intended target of the alleged bombers.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
When are people going to wake up and realize that terrorists are not planning attacks on non-arab countries because of that countries politics.They want to terrorize ALL countries not practicing sharia starting with the west.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
If this really has something to do with the cartoons, than oh my..
God have mercy with this pathetic retarded religion followers

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Oh but let's not profile anyone...it might hurt their feelings. I'm glad it all worked like it should this time, though. Immigration can be a bit*h!

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The last time this happend though was a complete mess. it turned out that the police had an informer or "agent" in the cell, but it was hard to actually determine if the police had help instigate the wish to do terror.
It was stated that the agent might have been helping the cell getting the materials they needed and that they probably wouldn't have been able to carry out anything had the agent not helped them... messy stuff this undercover thing.

Lets hope our police has learned from their mistakes...!

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
How could it be Al-Qeada? weren't they created by the CIA and Dick Cheney hired all the 9/11 hijackers and took them hunting so how can this be???
Yes, that is sarcasm.

What this does is help to promote the fact that this is real, and there are people out there who want to not just terrorize us but kill us to create that terror.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Terror Attack Foiled In Germany Too

There have been arrests in Germany as well. The German Defence minister said that a terror attack on the US military base at Ramstein and Frankfurt airport was imminent!

BBC: Three held in German terror raids

Breaking News

Defence minister Franz Josef Jung said the men were suspected of planning attacks against a US military base in Ramstein, and Frankfurt airport.

"There was an imminent threat," he told German television.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

edit to add: I made a new thread on the German arrests:
Imminent Terror Attack On Ramstein And Frankfurt Airport Foiled

[edit on 2007/9/5 by Hellmutt]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xfile
When are people going to wake up and realize that terrorists are not planning attacks on non-arab countries because of that countries politics.They want to terrorize ALL countries not practicing sharia starting with the west.

Your joking? .. I still dont get it... so you mustnt be.

Denmark did realease those cartoons remmeber, that sparked large riots?
Muslims do not want to control the world with sharia rule,... Karl.. is that you?

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by flice

The case you're reffering to has just been brought for a court of jury, for what the press call "a lengthy trial". Shall be interesting to see what verdict they'll arrive at.

Agent provocateurs are seldom used in Denmark. Guess they've learned some new "tricks" from their American friends.

As for the case now being unraveled it comes as gift for the government suffering great loses in recent polls.

Wonder if is a coincident at all.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Found this opinion in todays Danish daily Politiken by Chigaco professor Robert A. Pape.

Arrestationerne i Danmark og Tyskland af 11 formodede terrorister viser, at Vesteuropa er særdeles udsat for terrorangreb og fortsat vil være det.

[...]

»Terrornetværkenes energi er en politisk energi, der skyldes de udenlandske styrker i de muslimske lande. Derfor er terrortruslen noget, vi må være bekymrede for, så længe vi er til stede der«, siger Robert A. Pape.

For non-danish speaking here'a a translation:

The arrests in Denmark and Germany of 11 alleged terrorists show that W. Europe in particular is exposed and will continue to be so.

"The energy of terror networks is a political energy due to foreign troops stationed in Muslim countries. Therefore the terror threat is something we must worry about as long we are present there", says Robert A. Pape.

Did a little research on the professor and picked this inerview Poisonous Misinterpretations on his latest book Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism.

Professor Pape says that while al-Qaeda terrorists are twice as likely to be from a country where radical Salafist/Wahhabist Islam is widely practiced, they are 10 times more likely to have come from a country that has U.S. troops stationed in it. In most cases, this foreign military presence is not hostile in a traditional sense, since the local governments have agreed to their stay. But according to a Saudi poll after 9/11, 95 percent of educated Saudi males between the ages of 25 and 41 agreed with bin Laden's goal of driving Americans off their holy land.

No suicide bombers have ever come from Iran, where there are no foreign troops. Iraq had never seen a suicide bombing on its soil before U.S. troops arrived in 2003. While Ayatollah Khomeini spent the 1980s criticizing American culture, many people agreed, but none resorted to suicide bombing. When bin Laden cited U.S. forces in the land of Mecca and Medina, men hopped on planes with knives.

The root cause of suicide terrorism is occupation, not Islam, and not the other way around, as the War Party and its ill-informed adherents so righteously claim.

[...]

Fifth and sixth are U.S. government support for corrupt governments in the Middle East, none of which are democratic (among these are Jordan, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Oman, Qatar, Egypt, and now Iraq), and pressure (that is, threats of violence) to keep oil prices set where American mercantilists want them. Is it a surprise that all of the 9/11 hijackers – at least the one's whose identities aren't in dispute – were from countries (Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates) with governments friendly to our own, and that none of them were from Iran, Iraq, or Syria?

You get it? ...there has never been a suicide bomber from a country without US troop presence.

The picture is getting clear, terrorists were made in the Oval Office by a moroon president, skilfully manipulated by his henchmen and croonies.

I do suspect something the like from our own elite government, deep in the gore, in the present case.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Really?

Does the U.S. have troops in say, oh, I don't know, Uzbekistan? Because some of these people were trained by Uzbek's, and there have been a lot of them fighting in Afghanistan for the last few years, and quite a few wound up in Gitmo because of their actions.

No, it seems that the professor missed the mark quite far on that one indeed. Its easy to blame it on the U.S., but the truth says otherwise. Even if you just use one simple example.

No, its not about politics.

[edit on 9/5/07 by makeitso]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
No, this is above topsecret

We're not talking about instructers, but the actual suicide bombers.

What struck me is the fact, that the bombers, contrary to popular beliefs, for 95 percent are well-educated middleclass. So I don't buy into the one with the 21 (or is it 71) virgins anymore.

BTW, US do have a presence of air troops on Uzbekistan.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
There are no U.S. troops in Chechnya, yet Russia has been the target of several suicide bombings by them.

There are no U.S. troops in Palestinian area either.

[edit on 9/5/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   

BTW, US do have a presence of air troops on Uzbekistan.

I'm sorry, my understanding is that there was an Airbase in Uabekistan, not troops, and even that that was pulled out.

As far as I'm aware we don't, and haven't had "troops" there. Being human, I could be wrong though.

I personally don't really don't see a distinction between those who train, and those who actually go thru with the act. Both are intent on causing violence, and its not over politics.

I really didn't want to focus on the example, because I knew there would be an argument, but clearly you can see that the professor is incorrect when he states that it is completely political.

Thank you DJ for providing better examples than I came up with.

[edit on 9/5/07 by makeitso]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Well...

For makeitso:

To have aircrafts stationed in a foreign country you need personal for maintainance and so. At least the pilots must be labeled troops (or similar).

For dj:

There're no US presence in India or Sri Lanka either. The issue here is the connection in the present US-Muslim conflict.

Suicide attackers has been around since the days of Samson, and don't forget present days US involvement in world affairs started with the kamikaze pilots attacking Pearl Harbour.

Wiki has a good article onthe history of suicide attacks. They have beem used throughout history. They have even been used against Denmark in the fatal battle of Dybbøl in the war of 1864 (a Preussian soldier came 'unarmed' to the walls of the fortification to negociate but blew himself up, breaching the barricades and thus ensuring German victory).

Nothing new about it. What's new is the connection, like the professor proves, between the national identity of bombers and the presence of US troops in their respective countries. No Iranian suicide bombers so far.

As for the mentioning of Chechnya and Palestine... well, the IDF might be considered a special branch of US army, and Russia, a cribled superpower in its intentions and goals, not that different from its US counterpart.

The conclusion professor Pape brings forward is clear and true, the US-Muslim conflict created the Muslim suicide bomber.

Personally I think this world would be a safer place if US troops stayed and guarded their homeland. What are they doing in 100+something countries of this world?

Proctecting corporate interests, like those of the Carlyle Group, maybe, if you ask me.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

Your definition of "troops" is a pilot for a transport plane?

No the professor didn't "prove" much of anything. My opinion differs.

No, the US-Muslim, (as you put it), conflict did not create the suicide bomber. Its funny you even put it that way. Sorry, Muslim isn't a political group. Its religious.

No, the IDF is not a branch of the U.S. troops.
(nice try though)

You are welcome to your opinion as is the professor. I can even see where you could convince yourself that he is right. My opinon is that your wrong.

I am glad your keeping it civil, and attempting a logical argument though.

Perhaps we should get back to the topic at hand of more muslim suicide bombers with mass amounts of hydrogen peroxide arrested?

Any chance they were just gonna brush their teeth with it? Perhaps that this is trumped up by the Bush boogeyman? Was it a setup? Somebody invited them to stay there for the weekend and called the cops?

I wonder if bakri mohammed was involved. Wasn't the last German peroxide bomber turn up with his private phone number in his pocket, after his train bomb didn't work?

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by flice

They say the eigth that were arrested in Denmark, were using the same mosque as those who were arrested in the Glostrup-case. The oldest of the eight was their "spiritual leader"...

TV 2 Nyhederne: Terrormistænkte fra sammme miljø (in danish)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join