It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Category 5 Hurricane Felix

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Well it's passing at the moment and we've only gotten some strong gusts here in San Nicolas, at the hospital and hotel side the winds are stronger I've heard. We've gotten a lot of rain though.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Its really amazing that Felix went from a Tropical Depression to a Category 3 Hurricane in less than 24 hours.

Its really another nicely formed hurricane with a well defined eye. It is still predicted to follow the same path as Dean but once it crosses the Yucatan
they say that it could shift a little more to the North, towards Texas.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Looks like the Yucatan is really going to catch it this year.

Not only with Dean and Felix but it looks like one's warming up in the bullpen to follow them.

I've had all the hurricane I wanted with Charlie and Ivan. I can't imagine catching one after another, especially in that part of the world where there won't be a lot of relief.

Does anyone know what sort of support these guys are getting from the international community? Anything at all?

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Latest satellite picture (Note: this picture will not update automatically).

Source

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
San Nicolas is undamaged. There is some flooding in Oranjestad though. But for the rest we're okay.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Bad news I'm afraid.

Hurrica ne Felix seen becoming top-ranked storm

Sun Sep 2, 2007 5:23 PM EDT

Forecasters at the Miami-based hurricane center said the storm was strengthening at one of the fastest rates seen, as measured by the drop in its minimum internal pressure.

It would be passing over a warm eddy of water in the central Caribbean, finding in it the fuel needed to intensify further within 36 hours into a rare and potentially catastrophic Category 5 hurricane with winds over 155 mph (249 kph).

"The official intensity forecast could be conservative and there is certainly the potential for us to have another Category Five hurricane on our hands before all is said and done," said hurricane center storm expert Richard Pasch.

[edit on 9/2/07 by makeitso]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Water Vapor

Source

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Already a Category 5 with winds to 165 mph sustained according to the NHC. This is on track to be one the strongest Canes ever in the Carribean, with additional strengthening possible.

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

Interesting to note that the fsu model takes this system on a more northerly track through the Yucatan Strait into the central gulf. Early yet though

[edit on 2-9-2007 by TheHorseChestnut]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I was just about to update the thread about it becoming a CAT 5 storm. I was watching it on the weather channel and they said that the Hurricane Hunters went in and got wind speed and barometric pressure and then was forced to abandon the rest of the mission due to extremely high turbulence.
Before they left though, they recorded wind gusts up to 215 mph near the eye wall.

Just look at the perfect eye in this storm, also check the eye walls where the higher winds are in red, it looks like a donut

They still havent updated the computer models, but im sure they will by tomorrow

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Wow, this thing still has a way to go, its presure is still at 934 mb! Thats crazy, that can't be accurete, this must be a result of the plan not being able to fly in and get an accurete reading, large storms have pressure at about 920-910 mb, if this is a correct reading, then this thing should get even stronger.

On a side note, with multimple hurricanes hitting the same place in the same season. Where i used to live in FLorida, 3 years ago, on the east coast, Palm City, Stuart, Jensen Beach, that area. It took two direct eye landfall hurricane of a cat 3 and 4 within a couple weeks. The damage was so severe, my friends put it this way, 'The first storm came in and destroyed everything, the second one took the rements and everything else." MY older brother who still lived there at his time had his entire apartments complex destroyed and lost everything... So a 2nd cat 5 hitting the coast could be a problem.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
934mb pressure... that's stronger than Wilma was I believe and Wilma was the strongest Atlantic hurricane till this season started.

Bandit glad to hear you guys only got brushed by Felix

now I'm just very worried for those in the path of Felix's landfall.
I totally didn't anticipate the rapid intensification that Felix is showing us. I was expecting at Cat 2 storm today, certainly not this little monster we have now.

NHC 11pm Advisory

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Its not even close to Wilma yet, she had 185 mph winds and a barometric pressure of 882 and yes she does hold the record for lowest pressure.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
thanks kronos, for some reason I was thinking 932mb was Wilma's lowest pressure, my memory ain't what it used to be

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Felix is gonna be one for the
record books, I believe.

Off-topic,
Remember when Hurricanes only
had female names ?

I guess growing up in Florida has
me thinking this...

Anyway,
Lex

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Just a friendly reminder, I get them confused a lot to and find myself going to wiki to get the correct data

Check out the latest IR satellite image of Felix, he sure doesnt look as well as he did a couple of hours ago.

[edit on 9/3/2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Looks like Felix might be going through some fluxuations. Hurricanes don't maintain category 5 status for very long, I suspect it will drop to a cat 4 then intensify once it reaches the extremely warm waters of the Eastern carribean

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Who here remembers the cartoon "Felix the Cat" ?

[edit on 9/3/2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I filmed this a few hours after Felix yesterday. Check it out.

Btw.. Charlotte is my cousin's boat.

[edit on 3-9-2007 by TheBandit795]

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Well, hurricane Felix has still claimed a life here in Aruba. An idiot went bodysurfing yesterday and they found his body in the sea today.

jhh

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Three models have a projected path heading straight west, and two show it reaching the southern gulf. All but one are pretty sure the thing will break up over mexico. Very sad when our infrastructure is in such a fragile state, that I can make hundreds of thousands of dollars betting against it and most likely win. Who knew in my lifetime that Mexico would pass the US in engineering.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join