It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just got a new computer... what games should i try?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I just bought a new computer. My previous computer had a S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR, which shares 32MB of system RAM, Pentium 4 1.6 256mb RAM (upgraded with a 512mb stick) and a 40gb harddrive. Hence I really couldn't run any good or recent games on it.

My new computer is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual Core, 2 GB RAM, GeForce 8600 256mb graphics card, 500GB harddrive. There were better models, though my budget wasn't extravagant and i'm not a hardcore gamer, as it's mainly for my uni work. Oh and it has a 19" widescreen.

So what are some good games I can run on it. I havent played a PC game in over 3 years. And they were the likes of Theme Park Gold and other titles which ran tremedously slow as it was.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I assume that since your computer is brand new that it has Windows Vista installed so at this website Games for Windows you will find most of the newly released Games that run on Windows Vista and the performance rating you need for each game.

Personally I like Company of Heroes and Dawn of War with expansions at the present. Its rather hard for me to recommend a specific game for you as I dont know what type games you like. I am a RTT/RTS fan so I gave you the 2 best games of that type out at the moment.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
check out half-life 2 and counter-strike

you could also try counter-strike source but i think regular old counter-strike is better

world of warcraft and its expansion pack are fun too

if you like RTS games you could check out warcraft 3 and the expansion pack or go old school and play starcraft and the expansion pack.. sc is classic!

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I'd suggest the free F.E.A.R multiplayer available for download.
And Stalker:Shadow of Chernobyl is a keeper.
You could even get GTA:San Andreas for the laugh and stick a few vehicle mods in it!!

The Steam games i would reccomend are as follows:
Counter Strike Source
Bioshock
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (brilliant game)
Half Life 2 and Episode 1 (and 2 when its out)

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
BioShock is pretty good. I've been losing plenty of sleep the past couple days because of it. Very immersive experience with good replay value.

It really depends on what genre you like though. There's flight sims, first person shooters, role playing games, massive multiplayer online, combinations of the above.

If you'd like a slower paced, more story-type of game and less focused on combat, try Dreamfall. Really good story and too addictive to be healthy.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Well, the games I play quite often are,

F.E.A.R. (Single player is awesome) and multiplayer can be real fun

Splinter Cell - Double Agent, really cool. The online multiplayer took some getting used to, as I´m used to using the P90 ripp off that uses a tazer thing instead of bullets. (Sorry, I don´t know how to describe it.) But got real fun once I got the hang of using the hacking thing.

Quake II - Both single player and multiplayer is great fun

Rainbow Six - Vegas is pretty cool, I haven´t gamed it that much, but I´ve enjoyed the little I have gamed

PREY is quite fun, it´s got a cool single player campaign, and the multiplayer is fun and fast.

D00M III is aging, but I still find it to make me jump. Online is meh, but you can get a coop mode that makes it really fun, LastManStanding mode is pure fun!

Battle Field 2 is really good, 2142 is enjoyable, but I prefer BF2. (The kills are more rewarding IMO.)

Day of Defeat Source. I really like that game. I play as the Germans and mount a MG42 and rank up on kills til a sniper takes me out. lol Also playing as a regular assualt is quite rewarding too.

I really enjoy Counter Strike Source. I played 1.6 for a while (non source) and got good, but I couldn´t say no to updated graphics! (So shoot me =)

Halo is pretty fun, and Halo 2 should be out in a little while. Multiplayer on those are really fun. (Except when you meet those "1337" noobs that yell "h4h4, 1 p4wn3d j00 n00b!" that just gets annoying.)

Also, Joint Operations - Typhoon Rising (and it´s expanstion packs) pack a lot of fun. I haven´t played it for about six months, so I´m not sure what the online status of them are. But you get custom "coop" maps that are pretty fun, especially when you get a group of people that work in a team, but I think Battlefield 2 pretty much took over.

Tom Clany´s Ghost Recon - Advanced Warfighter is pretty cool. Not sure how the multiplayer part is though.

Those are the ones (not already listed before my post) that I enjoy, but I recommend you to try out Shadows of Chernobyl. And before you play, do a google search for "Pripyat" and "Chernobyl" so you can see exactly where you are supposed to be playing, and hopefully learn a little from the real horrors that happened to the people and the place. (Sorry for being a downer, but I´ve gamed with a few people who didn´t know about it. And I just felt that it´s a good thing to know that it actually happened, that people suffered, and are still suffering because the government didn´t act fast enough.)

Hope the list gave you some ideas.

Frontkjemper

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Hey there again, you should get...

Half-life 2 and Oblivion... "WOOT"

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Want to waste serious time? Get World of Warcaft..if thats the kind of stuff you like
If you a good shooter go with Quake, Doom, F.E.A.R, Halo
IF your into RTS games id go with Starcraft or Warcraft Both very solid games Starcraft 2 comes out soon i hope

just like any other games it all depends on what your into

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   
If you like RTS games, go pick up any of the games in the Total Wars series.

top topics

join