It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Isolationism Is America's Answer

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
America cannot go the "Isolation" route while it is addicted to foreign oil. Till that problem is addressed, America must, I repeat must, stay involved on the world stage. If our dependence on foreign oil weren't an issue, then it would be conceivable for America to Shut the doors. Even then the reprecussions would be tremendous for America and the rest of the World. Like it or not, we are in a interconnected world.

Pavil, truth is, we have no need to rely on foreign oil. Lets suppose that America did maintain a dependence on oil, there is enough oil in Texas and Alaska to sustain us for a very long time.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike

Don't get it mixed up! Isolationism is archaic and never results in a powerful nations.

I'm not mixed up.
I thought I made it quite clear that I wasn't talking about non-intervention. When I say isolationism, that is exactly what I mean. By the way, is losing our power really such a bad thing? Our power has gained us hatred...

[edit on 23-8-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Pavil, truth is, we have no need to rely on foreign oil. Lets suppose that America did maintain a dependence on oil, there is enough oil in Texas and Alaska to sustain us for a very long time.

How long? There is a reason we import so much. For the foreseeable future, America will not be able to meet it's need for oil solely by it's own production. Is it conceivable we could, maybe, is it feasible, not unless we had no other choice. Look at how much Oil and natural gas we get from Canada, Mexico and Venezuela. We can not maintain our current lifestyle without foreign sources of energy.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Pavil, quite honestly,to me, the fact that we import all of these things is not so much an indication of our need to do so, as it is that we have entered into trade agreements with these nations. Look at agriculture. America produces far and beyond the amount of food needed for America, I have no reason to think the same wouldn't be true for our natural resources.

However, what you do bring up only magnifies the fact that America should be looking into alternative fuel sources. We should find a way not to be dependent on oil at all, regadless of whether it is from the homeland, or some foreign power.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen
But now, do I think isolationism is a good thing? Well, no. I tend to think of things on a worldly scale, I think being selfish is bad. Its just the type of intermingling with the world's affairs we've been doing as of late has been, well, negative.

See, I guess this is where I differ with many other people. I just don't see how the U.S,after the events of 9/11 and many others that have occurred since, and the rest of the world can reconcile. America is no longer in a position where we can continue to be some sort of refuge and a responder to every event that takes place in the world.

While it's well and good to want to have some sort of "globalistic utopia," realistically, it will never happen. Given that the world is even more divisive than it was previously in regards to America, I think America should approach the world from a self preservation mentality.

The only real manner to do this is to have an absolute non-interventionist policy and limited trade relations. Some would probably view my vision as being "frightening," I just view it as being realistic. Whether it will actually ever occur, I don't know.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   
well, to sum it up, the problems are the power of the banks and their money. as once the central bank was ´invented´ the problems grew. and today we say what their power is.
tahts one oint.the other is our old, overcome form of capitalism. after 1989 the capitalism is just not the same as before, thats clear.
the capitalism has to be thought-to-its-end.
it´s no game. but its also no magic, its possible.

my thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
in case some people don't notice, or maybe people inside america just don't see it as well, but america can't keep its ass out of ANY country. the u.s. military is all over europe, has destroyed ancient babylonian ruins to build helipads, is setting up bases in the czech republic and poland for no reason except the excuse 'to protect from any missile threat that may occur due to russia'. WTF? was this on just the european news and not in the US? isolation for america would be the best thing that happened to mankind, not just americans. but i the way i think things are heading, and due to what the american government is seeming to push upon the world, is that isolation will never happen, unless there is no-one but america

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoninaki?
in case some people don't notice, or maybe people inside america just don't see it as well, but america can't keep its ass out of ANY country. the u.s. military is all over europe, has destroyed ancient babylonian ruins to build helipads, is setting up bases in the czech republic and poland for no reason except the excuse 'to protect from any missile threat that may occur due to russia'. WTF? was this on just the european news and not in the US? isolation for america would be the best thing that happened to mankind, not just americans. but i the way i think things are heading, and due to what the american government is seeming to push upon the world, is that isolation will never happen, unless there is no-one but america

We Americans do not like the way you talk for we are a kind and gentle nation, BTW what are your GPS geographical coordinates?

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   

isolation for america would be the best thing that happened to mankind, not just americans.

You just need to realize that when I say isolation, that is what I mean. We will deliver no more aid, trade will be limited, et cetera...

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Nation-building. Whether the US wants to admit it or not we've been in the business of nation building since the Marshall Plan was enacted. That's what we need to stop.

Had the US refused to take part in supplying aid to help re-build crushed European areas and had simply become a trade partner, then we would not be in the current position we are in. Of course, how quickly would the Communism of the USSR have spread and hurt us? Who knows.

One thing is clear that it is the constant support of US troops outside of the country that has become problematic.

The US should return to making war/decisive battles in the way our forefathers did. Take a look at the battles fought prior to WWI. The majority were short skirmishes or direct surgical assalts in order to protect Americans, American interests, or American properties. With the occasional chastisment thrown in for good measure. There were no long-term occupations or provisions for war left in place. This is what the US needs to return to.

We need to stop worrying so much about genocide and other people's lives. They'll deal.

We should step in only when the ravages of war or revolution will start to impact trade or hurt our economic flow.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

America currently cannot pump, produce and refine all the Oil and Natural Gas we currently consume, that is the main reason for the importation of those items. Sure when you look at the estimated reserves we have in the ground it looks like enough, but try to get that oil and gas out of the ground at a reasonable price. We plainly just don't have the capacitiy to support our current demand of Oil and Natural gas.

I agree that Multiple sources of alternative fuels and energy should be researched on a level approaching the Manhattan Project. Such an investment would probably pay for itself within a decade once the viable sources for energy and fuel are found. I for one would love to tell the OPEC where they can stick their oil. The technology will be a great export for us till the Chinese Pirate and copy infringe on it, which will take all of 3-5 years I bet.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I completely disagree. I think we should give money towards the other nations educational system. It has been proven that if a country ever wants to grow in their economy, and global status, and be modernized- then education is the only answer.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   

You just need to realize that when I say isolation, that is what I mean. We will deliver no more aid, trade will be limited, et cetera...

Like I said, isolation hurts everyone. Intervention is bad; you're correct in saying that regularly giving aid and building nations is terrible for the nation. But America, again, was never isolated. We profit from trade with other nations. We become richer, other counters are discouraged from attacks because we help their economy.

If we hoarded materials and whatnot, on the other hand, that's practically begging the rest of the world to attack us for our resources. And even if they don't, the resulting poverty (relative to now) would hurt us.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   

isolation for america would be the best thing that happened to mankind, not just americans.

Both World Wars happened when America was an isolationist.

People tend to think the world would be singing Kum Ba Ya if America stayed home…well they would be but in only Russian and Chinese.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
We could be isolationists and still trade, but when the government of the country we trade with is taken over by inner or exterior forces we just make new deals. We do keep a small handful of close friends, but the majority of the world would get to flow what ever direction it takes them. When something like the killing fields comes up again we can ask the French to handle it. We can wait until the population of Africa drops to 1% of what it is now, and then sell them great American goods. Once Iran has control of all countries in the Middle East we can make a deal with them to give us good prices for noninterference. With the death of everyone in that part of the world that are not Shia Muslim it will be much easier dealing with one big country of one religion and further down the road we will only be dealing with just a few empires around the world.

But what really would get the most benefit here is the rain forest once the current world population is cut in half through wars, starvation, and ideological genocide.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by StarFleetCpt
I completely disagree. I think we should give money towards the other nations educational system. It has been proven that if a country ever wants to grow in their economy, and global status, and be modernized- then education is the only answer.

Why should we be responsible for the education of other nations when it is lacking in our own country?

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
Both World Wars happened when America was an isolationist.

Wrong.

The United States joined World War I long before it was declared. We were smuggling weapons and supplies to England. The RMS Lusitania was sunk by German submarines because it was carrying such cargoes.

We joined World War II because we were supplying the Allies with a tremendous amount of aid (lend-lease, etc), while enforcing embargoes on the Axis. We actually had a squadron of fighters in China (the Flying Tigers) even before Pearl Harbor.

Intervention is what got us into two of the most deadly wars in world history, costing our nation countless sons and fathers.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike

Intervention is what got us into two of the most deadly wars in world history, costing our nation countless sons and fathers.

Lol it sounds like you think we should had stayed home.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Correct.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   

We certainly should have stayed out of WW1, we had no compelling interest in being there. All we took home from WW1 were corpses and disabled veterans.

WW2 was another matter, the US had no choice but to get involved, and the Axis constituted a very real threat to the US.

Had WW1 been less of a rout, WW2 might never have happened though.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join